“Super Clean and very nice!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel

Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel
Ranked #26 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
“Super Clean and very nice!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

This a great place to stay. Location is perfect. Service from bellman was very good. He gave us a great shortcut to the ACC. The rooms very spacious and smell like soap! Marble bathrooms are also very modern and clean.

Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
RenaissanceTO, Director of Room Operations at Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Macer19,
Thank you for your review. I was glad to hear that the location of the hotel gave you convenient access to your event at the ACC, and that the room space and cleanliness exceeded your expectations.
We hope that you will return again soon to discover more of the local delights.
Andrea Copeland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We visited Toronto for the first time in our adult lives and stayed at the Renaissance and loved it! We took the train from Windsor and it was great to be able to walk to the hotel from Union Station. We were suprised to see they upgraded us to a suite with a king bed and living room. At our request they also provided a crib for our 6 month old which was fantastic. The staff was very friendly and we loved stopping by the front desk and getting the complimentary hot apple cider and apple every time we got back to the hotel. The Arriba restaurant had great food as well. We loved Toronto and we loved this hotel!

Room Tip: call ahead and see if you can get a king bed suite if you booked on hotwire.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
RenaissanceTO, Director of Room Operations at Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear IrelandTravelers2,
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and the location of the hotel was convenient for you. I am pleased to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations with an upgrade to accommodate your family.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Come again soon!
Stratford, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Friendly helpful staff. Were upgraded to a two-story "stadium view" room which was quite an experience, as there was a football game in progress. I'm not interested in football at all, but it was fun to watch, and of course my husband loved it ! Next time would opt for a City view room though, as I missed the natural light. Hotel is very centrally located and easy to get anywhere downtown from here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Cheryl S,
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you are already planning a next time! The fieldview rooms are unique for sure, but we have plenty of city view rooms to meet your needs as well.
Thank you for your kind words. We look forward to your next visit.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

We visited the Renaissance this November as a treat for my birthday! We decided to stay at the Renaissance as it was a good price and in a great location. This hotel really superseded any expectations we had. The staff were so helpful, attentive and polite. We were upgraded from our room as the railway side can get a little noisy to a quiet room overlooking the Rogers baseball stadium. These rooms really have a spectacular view. The rooms are beautiful, spacious and clean and we were so impressed by everything at this hotel.

It is centrally located right next to the CN tower and a short walk away from the superb Eaton centre mall.

This hotel is perfect for couples, families or a business trip.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
RenaissanceTO, Director of Room Operations at Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Natasha H,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am pleased to hear that your stay exceeded your expectations; from the staff service you received to the spacious room overlooking the stadium. That is always our goal.
Thank you again for your time. We look forward to your return.
Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Stayed overnight on a Saturday.

The hotel check-in was very quick and staff were friendly, both at the desk, and in the restaurant/bar.

This hotel is connected to the Rogers Centre. Some of the rooms actually overlook the field. It is in a very convenient location for those visiting clubs on Queen & Adelaide as it is only a 12 minute walk up Spadina. Also great for meetings in downtown core as it was less than 15 minutes walk to York and only a short subway ride to Eaton Centre. There is also a fully stocked Rabba store right across the street (Blue Jay Way & Wellington).

The room itself was nothing fancy but very adequate for my needs. It also contained a mini-fridge & I think there was a microwave? Comfy beds and bedding but pillows could be better! The main pillows were on the small side. Not an issue when you have the bed to yourself!

During my stay, I also checked out the fitness area & pool. Lots of space for exercise and I noted plenty of machines available for use. I thought the second key card entry going from the change room into the pool area was a bit redundant. We already had to swipe to get into the fitness area.

The major drawback from this hotel was the very long hallways. This is partly because of how it is built along the Rogers Centre. The hallway would not be as bad if it wasn't so monotonous. It feels quite institutional with it's pale yellow wallpaper. There are no pictures (or other accents) hung anywhere along the entire stretch of hallway.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again but hope they add some decoration to the long, narrow halls.

Room Tip: If you want a unique view, ask for a room overlooking the stadium.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Rebecca P
Kingston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I spent 4 nights here with my husband and 4 year old son joining me on the last 3 nights. I picked the hotel due to its proximity to the Convention Centre for my meeting.

I will preface this next part by saying the manager was very responsive to the problem we had on the 2nd night, so the story ends well!

My first night was uneventful - though I found the split level room a little annoying (I don't want to traipse down stairs in an unfamiliar environment in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom), but it was fine. However, on the 2nd night, when my husband and son arrived at about 8:30 p.m., we started to get my son's bath ready, only to find a lot of black grit in the water. I was pretty sure it wasn't there in the morning, but it was definitely there. We felt somewhat stuck - it was already past my son's bedtime, and a bath is essential to help him sleep, so we tried to just run the water to see if things cleared. They improved a bit, but there was still grit. We called the front desk - and we were told that they had done something to the boiler and to run the water more (it had been 30 minutes at that point). We inquired about changing rooms, but were told the hotel was full.

In the end, we didn't do the bath (obviously), and we all had a bad night of sleep as a result of my son being restless and overtired. This was compounded by the fact that the heat either blew full tilt across my head or we were freezing.

Fortunately, we did get a call about 8:00 a.m. saying they had a new room for us - we ended up being upgraded to the top floor (club floor?) and later that day, they left us a small bottle of wine and a plate of cheese, crackers, and fruit. Our new room had a more traditional layout, which worked better for us.

Our last 2 nights were much better.

Otherwise, the pool was a huge hit with our son. The staff was friendly. The place was very clean. However, I would agree with a previous review that it's somehow not the same as other Marriott hotels I have stayed at. I'm not sure how much of that was due to my impression of our first room, which, even before the bath water issue, was certainly not to our taste.

Overall, I was impressed with their response to the water issue, but I didn't like the hotel itself enough to be back.

Room Tip: I did not like our first room - 4th floor, overlooking the tracks - one of the split level ones.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stayed here for one night to meet up with some friends for dinner and take in the Santa Claus parade the next day. We were able to check in early which was awesome and we were upgraded to a split level room facing the inside of the stadium. I would recommend the stadium view rooms as the city view rooms really only face the railroad tracks and with the hotel only being 11 floors there isn't much of a city view. We booked with a CAA/AAA rate and it included a $48 food voucher which we could use at anytime (not just breakfast as it stated on their website) We used it for the buffet breakfast anyway which was really good. Buffet was $18 on a Sunday morning and the $48 voucher covered breakfast for 2 and the tip so it was a pretty decent deal - if you can say $48 for breakfast is a good deal :o) The room was huge, the first level was the "party room" and had a couple of couches and a flat screen tv, the windows opened into the stadium. Upstairs was the bedroom with a large bathroom and jetted tub as well as another bigger flat screen tv. bed was comfy, bathroom was showing signs of needing attention as was the carpet in the bedroom. Parking was $20 for the night - underground right under the hotel, plenty of spaces unlike other hotels in the city. We would stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: try and get the CAA/AAA rate that includes breakfast. Ask for a stadium view room, they are unique...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple