“Terrific Service Compensated for Renovations Disaster Zone” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel

Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel
Ranked #27 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto, Canada
“Terrific Service Compensated for Renovations Disaster Zone”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

Overview:
I stayed at the Renaissance on a hot weekend in July 2011, and had the unfortunate luck of getting one of the rooms on the renovation floor. Not only did the whole floor smell like plastic burning, filled with a haze reminiscent of the smog outside, but the carpet was ripped up all along the hallway. And on top of it all, the humidity permeated from the outside into the rooms, And if decor matters to you, then expect an early 1990s bright pastel-coloured, Caribbean mosaic feel. I hope this motif changes with the renos. Luckily, the service was top-notch, as I will explain below. Aveda products in the bathroom.

Process:
After checking-in, parking the car, and getting the key to my room, I walked and walked into what seemed like the bowels of the hotel. It smelled bad, carpet was all torn, there was a haze...apocalyptic by the standards of a major hotel chain. My room was the furthest room possible from the elevator (and it surprised me as to how far that actually was...I walk a lot so have no problem with the exercise but this seemed really really far). After that walk, my key did not work. I tried every trick in the book, but to no avail. So I trudged back through the stinky, hot hallway and back down to reception. I explained my situation that the key did not work and the concierge acknowledged this error and gave me a new key. So I went through the motions again and this time, the key worked. But boy do I wished that it hadn't. It smelled so absolutely horrible, that I knew I couldn't sleep there. I went back down with my bags, and explained the situation to the concierge. I was prepared for the worst but what do you know, she upgraded me to the "Club" floor. That was really unexpected. At best, I thought I would get another room on one of the floors under renovations. But she apologized profusely for the inconvenience and the smells and such. We got upgraded to a fantastic room with a king-sized bed, awesome view, and best of all, it was clean and didn't stink. The floor itself was decent...nothing to write home about, but at least it had carpet and didn't stink. On our way out for supper, the same concierge came over and asked us if everything was okay, and if we had everything we needed. It actually seemed like she cared.

AREA:
Went out to a few clubs on the weekend and found it very safe to walk back from the Entertainment district. It's part of the Skydome/Rogers Centre and from the restaurant on the main level (and the foyer of each of the floors I'm guessing), you can actually see inside the venue. They were setting up from the U2 concert during my stay there - pretty impressive view.
-took me 15 min to walk to Yonge and King.
-took me 20 min to walk to Yonge and Dundas

CONS
-some rooms are located really far from the elevators
-parking lot is a bit hard to navigate to if you're not familiar with the area (though access to the parking lot from the hotel is an elevator ride...but having to park your car there is a bit of a trek)
-expensive parking (but on par with downtown Toronto I suppose)
- a bit "recessed" from the downtown core (though only a short walk away)

PROS
-Great location, and I found it cheaper than other hotels (chain or boutique) right around or on King/Queen/Front Streets. It was a short walk to the entertainment district (5 min) and about 20 minutes to the Eaton Centre at Yonge & Dundas.
-Superior service. They addressed my issues without hesitation, and to my satisfaction.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the elevator, if possible.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Collingwood, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

Many of our friends were staying for a wedding.& we all found the accomodations top notch.The staff in all areas & especially the front desk personnel were very friendly & helped us find many of the sites of the city.The bar over looking the Dome was a great place to watch a ball game.The beauty of the hotel is that everything including some fabulous restaurants are all in walking distance.We have recommended the hotel to many of our friends that live out of town & love to come to T.O for concerts & sports events

Room Tip: Try and get a room over looking the dome or 1 of the corner suites
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

Hotel pepople was very pleaseant and very celan has a restaurant and a small bar but we did not use the bar. instead we went to explore some of the town restaurants, the room had a very nice view to the harbor and it was very quiet. It was very convinient for Us cause even when we had our car it was easy just to walk to the areas we needed.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
detroit
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2011

I really liked this hotel for a few reasons. The location was great, we went for the Film Fest and everything was in walking distance.BUT the staff is what won me over, they were excellent! They were both helpful and friendly, all of them (that's important to me). The rooms we slightly more than average, but spacious. The view of the ball park is beyond beautiful, we didn't have a room with a view, but the bar/restaurant in the lobby has the best vie and great drinks and food. There's restaurants close by and the subway station are also close by, just in case you need to go a little further out and don't want to drive.

I was very impressed; this will be my hotel of choice next year.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the ball park.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Petoskey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

We stayed a night to watch a base ball game rather than wrestle with a five year old in the stands. We had a room that overlooked the ball field. The windows open so you can hear and see everything as if you were sitting in the stands. This was great family fun for our two boys. There was something always going on in the stadium to watch before and after the game. Preparing the field, cleaning the stands, practice, etc. The lights were on in the stadium all night so you could see everything that goes into cleaning before the next game or event. The hotel offers food and drink packages, at a very reasonable price, for watching the game from your room. The pool at the hotel was also very nice.

Room Tip: Chose a king bed room overlooking the field ratherr than a 2 bed room. The 2 bed rooms have a post...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

I'm sure that if I were a jays fan I would have been in love with the view from one of the field view rooms or from the very small bar overlooking the Rogers Centre. However, I was in town to see friends and wanted a central location. While the hotel itself is relatively easy to get to, once you get inside it's marathon time! The elevators are centrally located in the lobby but once you reach your floor be prepared to lug your bags for miles as the corridors go on and on and on! our room was so bare it was a joke! Only the utilitarian will appreciate the decor. The bathroom was in need of some sprucing up and the sleep number bed...didn't work! This is a fine hotel if you're passing through and need some place to crash but if you're in Toronto looking for a comfortable home base, this is not the place to go!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
New Liskeard, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

My fiance is a HUGE Jays fan and we have been travelling to Toronto at least twice a year from 6 hours north (New Liskeard) and we always stay at the Renaissance! We LOVE it !! Within walking distance to everything (Eaton's Center, restaurants, downtown shopping) and the amenities and spa are fantastic !! We will continue to stay at the Renaissance!!!

Room Tip: I love the higher floors sith the city view!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple