“Outstanding value and superb location”
Review of Hotel Victoria

Hotel Victoria
Ranked #40 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Vancouver
“Outstanding value and superb location”
Reviewed November 9, 2009

I stayed over thr weekend and was VERY impressed with the quality of service(friendly staff) and the great room (really clean). I heard that they will be renovating in the near future and will make another reservation to see what the results are.

Highly recommended

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Korean first
Brazil
Reviewed November 8, 2009

Everything was great.
Good price, luggage room (SAFE!), friendly service.
Only one little disapointment: the window on the room could not be opened.
Next time in Toronto... Hotel Victoria!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
SilverHotelGroup, Management at Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, November 19, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We strive to provide our guests with great service, product and location, and our success is dependent on valuable feedback from our guests. I agree a little fresh air is always nice, unfortunately most downtown hotels are not designed with windows that open for safety and security reasons. We look forward to having you stay with us again on your next visit!
london
Reviewed October 31, 2009

Stylish Hotel! Excellent staff and location!
We arrived from Montreal, by train and the train station is 5min walking distance from Hotel Victoria! At 5min walking distance, left-hand side, the big shopping centre "Eaton Centre". Located in the fascinating financial district, it is closed to all major attractions such as CN Tower, Water front Harbour and many many others!
Highly reccomanded the "Rich Tree" Market Restaurant ... 2min walking distance, right-hand side!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 21, 2009

My wife and I spent 6 nights in the Hotel Victoria on a trip to see the sights of Toronto and Niagara Falls. Having read the reviews, I opted for a Deluxe King room The room was on the 7th floor (next to the top floor), faced on Yonge Street, had a really comfortable bed, a minifridge, TV, free WiFi, and a huge, very comfortable bathroom. There was a nice desk and upholstered chair for it, as well as a nice lounge chair. The room was kept impeccably clean and was in top condition. The front desk was very helpful. The location could not be better. You can walk all over downtown and public transport goes right by the hotel. There are restaurants nearby, and the Eaton Centre is a short walk down Yonge. Yes, the hotel is a century old and a registered historic landmark, but is very well kept and has a brand new restaurant in the hotel itself serving breakfast and lunch. If you spring for the deluxe room, you will love this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
London, Canada
Reviewed October 12, 2009

My mother and I stayed at this hotel for one night and had several disappointments during our visit. We arrived early and though we could not yet check in, the staff told us they could hold our bags for us. Our bags were placed in an unsecure hallway accessable to anyone who came in so we made sure to ask that our bags would indeed be locked in a room. We were told not to worry, the bags would be locked up. However, when we returned the bags were in the exact same place and the staff did not seem to care less about our concern over the security of our luggage.
Following our very unfriendly check in, we proceeded to our room which was absolutely disgusting. There were stains all over the carpet (I would not have taken my shoes off), dust accumulated all along the floorboards, some dirt on the bed sheets, marks on the walls and a very disgusting looking stain right in the centre of the armchair. The room had clearly been serviced but was still just absolutely filthy with stuck on dirt and stains and should not have been given out to any guest until major rennovations were done.
After complaining to the staff we were given another room. When we complained the staff was very uncaring and not very apologetic. The new room was much better and obviously in a rennovated section of the hotel. If you are staying at this hotel, I would definately recommend asking if the room has been recently rennovated as there was a huge difference in these two rooms. Or if you aren't satisfied with your room, be sure to let them know!
The hotel was is in a great location (though there are several other hotels in this area!) and at least we were given a new room which was nice and clean. However after seeing the first room and dealing with staff who do not seem to care about the fact that you are giving them business neither of us will be staying there again.

• Stayed September 2009
Rochester
Reviewed October 8, 2009

This is the letter we sent to them detailing our trip. We haven't gotten any reply or acknowledgement

To Whom It May Concern. . .

I wanted to write this email to you as soon as we returned home to inform you of the horrible experience that myself and my husband had at your hotel over the past three days. We arrived Thursday afternoon to a very rude man behind the reception desk. He didn't offer to help us with the bags, told us nothing about the amenities or services of the hotel. My husband unloaded the car about a block away and drove to find parking while I carried both of our bags and additional items about a block to the lobby. I tried to get the attention of the man at the reception desk, and when he didn't help me with the bags, I literally had to ask a stranger on the street to help me open the door and carry our things.

After packing everything into the elevator while my husband parked our car, I was very disappointed by the size of our room. It was so small and cheaply decorated it was insulting. We live in Rochester with in laws in Buffalo so we spend a lot of time traveling to Toronto for various events and wanted to try a more historic hotel. From your website and literature, I am significantly surprised by your lack of quality. The bed was only a few feet off of the ground and the headboard was scratched and looked like it was going to fall off of the wall. The chair that was at the desk had a broken back, one of the doors on the mirrored closet was off of the track and broken. These items, paired with a lovely view of an alleyway just made for a more insulting first experience.

You should also be aware of some additional problems with the room and the service that we experienced during our stay. The shower was broken in multiple places - the plumbing into the shower head wasn't tightened correctly so one stream of water actually shot out over the top of the shower door onto the floor of the bathroom and the second sprout of water sprayed up to the lighting fixture in the ceiling. My husband was able to redirect the one stream of water, but the other still sprayed over the top of the shower door. My husband used the bathroom and thought there was a problem with the toilet when the tank continued to run, so he removed the top of the toilet tank and we COULD NOT BELIEVE WHAT WE SAW. Inside the toilet tank we found unopened bottles of wine coolers being stored in the toilet tank. I have no idea how long they were there, but the caps were rusted shut and the water was totally brown. I don't have to tell you how disgusting this is.

We took pictures of the toilet tank, which I have attached. Throughout our stay there seemed to be a general disregard for guests by the staff. Friday night we were waiting for the elevator and two employees from the cleaning crew had large grey bins of towels and other laundry. They literally pushed past us to get into the elevator and said nothing. I HOPE i don't have to explain that this is not proper etiquette in a hotel setting or any setting.

I also noticed a lot of signs about not smoking in the hotel and we stayed on the fourth floor and I can tell you that the people staying on our floor were certainly smoking. The hotel smelled horrible. I informed someone working at the front desk, which seemed very disinterested. Over our stay we informed various people at the front desk about our issues and not ONCE did anyone offer to repair anything, compensate us in anyway and when we checked out we again told the man at the front desk about our experience and he said he would inform the manager. He then thanked us for not yelling at him like other guests have in the past. So, since we got no satisfaction or compensation, I felt that I would put this in writing and send it along to you.

We feel so insulted that this is the first thing that I have to do when returning from our weekend. As I said earlier, we travel to Toronto a lot and wanted to try a different hotel. We have stayed all over downtown and I promise you that:

1. We will NEVER stay at your hotel again
2. We WILL tell everyone who asks about our vacation exactly where we stayed and the experience that we had. I am also a corporate trainer who travels extensively and believe me, my employees and other trainers would love to know about this experience since they travel often.
3. Depending upon your response and your action thereafter, I will write a detailed online review which will articulate every single item that I discussed in this email as well as the pictures of the conditions.
4. I will also post this information on my blog as well as face book.

I look forward to your immediate action and response.

Room 403

6 Thank jaggerhoch
Edinburgh
Reviewed October 1, 2009

We stayed at the Hotel Victoria for 14 nights while on holiday in Toronto. I'd thoroughly recommend it. It's in a fantastic location within walking distance of most of the main sights and loads of great bars and restaurants.

The staff were friendly and helpful.

Our room was small but clean with a good sized bathroom. It was located at the back of the hotel which meant it was very quiet. A room facing Yonge Street might have been more noisy. A flat screen TV with a good selection of channels was a bonus!

I'd recommend heading to the St Lawrence district (about 2 minutes away) to find cafes, bars and restaurants rather than heading up to more touristy places on Yonge Street.

We asked the hotel about tours to Niagara and were recommended to use Niagara VIP tours. Our guide was friendly and knowledgable but if you do choose this option please bear in mind that you will be travelling in a mini-bus/van rather than a coach, which was very cramped and not what I would class as VIP! We didn't realise until afterwards that there are loads of different tour companies out there offering a variety of packages, so shop around. You should also be aware that a 15% tip is 'expected', plus tax, which made the trip more expensive than we anticipated.

All in all we had a great time in Tornonto and we were very pleased we had chosen to stay at the Victoria.

1 Thank Carrie_H