“mostly good”
Review of Hotel Victoria

Hotel Victoria
Ranked #39 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I like the Hotel Victoria a lot and I love boutique hotels. The decor was nice and most was sufficient. My only real complaint was that I wished there was a bar and an "after lunch" restaurant on premises, however, this wasn't too big of a deal considering the number of restaurants in the surrounding areas. I did complain that they didn't have HBO since the Game of Thrones premier was on when I was staying there, but it was in jest.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Erskin L, Front Office Manager at Hotel Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Dear TBBettie,
Thank you for the review, we love to hear from our guests. I am delighted to hear the you enjoyed your stay with us while in Toronto. Yes, although our restaurant Over Easy is not open past 3pm there are plenty of wonderful food options in the nearby area. I do hope you were able to watch the Game of Thrones premier upon your return home. Thank you again for your review and we hope we will be able to welcome you back next time you are in our great city of Toronto.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

One of the best located hotels that I stayed In during my Canadian trip.Situated in the heart of downtown Toronto close to many major tourist destinations. Airport express drop off as well as Union station and two subway stations.Comfy bed and fair size room. Great doormen with a great welcoming when you arrive .

Room Tip: Try to not be on Jonge street as this can be very noisy.There are only two rooms per floor on this...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Ellen D,
Thank you for your kind review. I am very pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed your stay with us but it was one of the best hotels during your Canadian Trip. You are correct we are located in the heart of downtown Toronto and close to many major tourist attractions, shops, and restaurants. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the doorman / parking valet. We hope you will think of us next time you are in Toronto.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

This hotel is conveniently located, reasonably priced and extremely clean. The standard rooms are nice, but maybe a little small in my opinion. We've stayed several times before on romantic getaways and will certainly stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ellen D
Erskin L, Front Office Manager at Hotel Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear Ellen D,

Thank you for your kind review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your most recent stay with us. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to our housekeeping staff. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Toronto.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

I was more than pleasantly surprised by this hotel. I arrived late and was welcomed quickly and warmly by the desk staff. It took minutes to check me in, and I was in my room. The hotel must have been renovated because for such an old historic hotel, it was very modern and comfortable. I could hear some street noise outside, but I couldn't hear a peep from surrounding rooms in any direction.

The bed was very VERY comfortable - I slept like a baby in it. Highly recommend it for the beds alone!

And I have to comment on the cleanliness... because I was trying to squeeze lotion out of their provided little bottle in the bathroom when the bottle exploded on me... But what impressed me as I wiped up the lotion from the hardwood floor was those tissues did not have a speck of dust or dirt on them - this was one super clean room! Can't be sure it would pass one of those tests they do on the shock shows, but I can't think of many places in a Toronto winter with floors that clean!

The hotel is located on the Eastern edge of the "PATH", Toronto's underground city. You still had to step outside to access the PATH, but it was literally next door so not too bad given how extremely cold it was when I was there. The hotel is close to Union Station and the business district (all accessible by the PATH - but ask for a map otherwise you'll get lost!).

It wasn't very close to any stops made by the airport express bus - the nearest stops were about 10 minutes walk away (I imagine the Union Station bus stop was once upon a time close - until they began whatever is causing the monster construction there that has shut down the streets in that area for a few years now and the bus has to detour to quite a ways away...)

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Cybamuse
Erskin L, Front Office Manager at Hotel Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Dear Cybamuse,
Thank you for your kind review and I will be sure to pass on your kind words to both our housekeeping and front desk staff. Our housekeeping takes great pride in maintaining high levels of cleanliness in the hotel and they will be pleased to hear your praise on their work. Yes, the PATH can get very complicated once underground and a map can be printed by the front desk. You are correct, the airport bus used to stop at the Royal York Hotel but due to the construction on Front Street they are no longer picking/dropping guests there so it is a little bit of a walk to the next stop. Thank you again for your review and we hope we will be able to welcome you back next time you are in Toronto.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

The hotel is clean and the beds are comfortable. Unfortunately, it is poorly maintained. The room is attractive but the wallpaper is peeling, the bathroom is a bit rugged and the windows haven't been washed in YEARS. None of these are particularly concerning to me but it's worth noting that the rooms facing Younge St get a lot of street noise. More frustrating was the fact that the TV and the In-Room Phone consistently DIDN'T work properly and the hotel staff were of ZERO help.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face Younge St to avoid the street noise.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank aodavidson
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights in February 2014, we found the location to be great it was walking distance from many of the attractions and venues we visited. The rooms might be small for some but was fine for the two of us even with suitcases laid out on the floor. The bed was super comfy, internet was fine no problems, not much in terms of a view out the window but didn't spend much time in the room to worry about that. Housekeeping were great, kept the rooms in great condition and were always prompt. Hotel staff were helpful and check in/out was really smooth. They even allowed us to check in early following trouble with our original flights. For those not sure you do need to place a damage deposit down when checking in so have a means of paying this. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to visit Toronto.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Raj V,
Thank you for taking the time to review your most stay with us. You are correct we are conveniently located in the heat of the Financial District and we are within walking distance to shops, restaurants and attractions. Our deluxe rooms are the only room type that face Yonge Street and will have a view of the street. I will be sure to pass your kind words to both our housekeeping and reception staff. I am pleased to hear that we were able to accommodate your early arrival and that your stay with us was an enjoyable one. We hope will be able to welcome you back on your next trip to Toronto.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

My fiancé and I stayed in the Hotel Victoria on the evening of January 11th, 2014 as part of my birthday celebration. We chose the hotel purely based on location because it was the closest to where we were meeting our friends for dinner and drinks at Pravda Vodka Bar.
The location of this hotel is perfect for a night out. It was not even a 3 minute walk from the subway, which was great because we were carrying overnight bags.It was also a quick 5 minute walk away to Pravda Vodka bar (on Wellington) as well, so we were able to forgo the taxi at the end of the night. Even in the cold January evening it was close enough to walk in high heels! The check in was extremely easy, and we were told we could request a late check-out. However, this late check-out was only one hour later than the original check out which was 11 am. There is a breakfast place called Over Easy, (right next door) that provide an additional discount for guests of the hotel, we had plans for breakfast so we did not take advantage of it.

The Hotel Victoria is small hotel, in a historical building that was renovated. The lobby has a great lavish feel to it once you come in the front doors, with the fireplace and chandelier.
The rooms have a lovely modern, yet simple design. I personally loved the tiny pop of the color green in the room. The bed was extremely comfortable and although small the shower was amazing! There was nowhere on our floor to get ice, even though there was an ice bucket provided in the room. I believe the ice machine is located on a different floor in the hotel.
The Damask pattern behind the media center really livened up the space. Since we were only staying the one night, the Queen room we had reserved was more than large enough for us. They do however have larger rooms, and suites as well. Our room had a window that only really looked out towards a brick wall/ alleyway. The way this hotel is situated, I don’t believe there are many rooms with windows that look out to a different view.

All in all it was a lovely hotel, very central to restaurants of all kinds, public transit and very close to the downtown nightlife. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a cozy hotel room in downtown Toronto.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ninaki28

Dear ninaki28,
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. We appreciate all guest comments and feedback. You are correct we are located just minutes away from King Subway station, so travelling by public transportation quite easy. We get many compliments on how comfortable the pillow top mattresses are. The ice machine is located in the basement level, thus it does not disturb guests on guest floors. Our larger deluxe rooms do face Yonge Street and will have a window that faces the street. I am pleased to hear that overall your stay with us was an enjoyable one and we hope you think of us again.