“Charming”
Review of Hotel Victoria

Hotel Victoria
Ranked #39 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We had a beautiful room. Spotless clean and very charming. Yes, it was small. I would guess a family or someone staying for a longer period would like a bigger room. But, we stayed just one night, and I'll give up a large sized room for a nice clean room any day. You must remember that this is a very old building and wasn't built for todays standards. I wasn't bothered by any noise from neighbours, but I could hear noises in the hall. But I've heard noises in the halls of every hotel I've ever stayed in. The beds were extremely comfortable, and my husband and I got a great sleep. We left the heat off all night and we were plenty warm. There is an electric baseboard heater in the bathroom that one could use to supplement the heat if needed, but we didn't need it. Location was great for us. Only a couple of blocks from Union Station and we saw plenty of restaurants in the area. Price was great and staff were very courteous, they even let us into our room early. My only regret.... we forgot to leave a tip for the housekeeper. But, we are sending something to her by mail, because we found the rooms to be exceptionally well kept.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Marilyn Y
Erskin L, General Manager at Hotel Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Hello Marilyn Y ,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about your stay with us at the Victoria. I was absolutely over the moon when I read your review, I was so pleased that you not only found the room to be "spotless clean and very charming" but more importantly you found it to be comfortable. I'm also very glad that you were able to take advantage of or very central location and you are absolutely correct that we are surrounded by some really terrific restaurants. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to all our staff and I look forward to seeing you next time you are in Toronto. Thank you once again for taking the time to write a review.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,100)

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I booked this hotel last minute from the hotel's website as I needed to be in Toronto for a dinner and had to depart very early the next morning via the train. I got it for a great price ($100 plus tax) for a Friday night stay.

I loved the location. Literally a few minutes walk from Union Station. The rooms are well decorated and have everything you need. They are, however, small. The room was great for my needs as I literally only spent about 6 hours sleeping in it. Had I wanted to spend a bit more time relaxing in the room or had I been travelling with someone, I would have probably wanted a bit more space.

The heating system is a little wonky. I did not appreciate how my window didn't open.

I also really disliked the pillows. They were too puffy and hard. I didn't have the energy to phone down to the front desk to see if they had others, however.

Room Tip: I'd ask for a room with a window that opens. Also, I'd ask for a room that is on an upper fl...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank SirGallivants
Erskin L, Front Office Manager at Hotel Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear RoverLake,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We do pride ourselves on being conveniently located to public transportation, shops, restaurants and attractions. Our deluxe rooms are the largest in the hotel and we do recommend this room type for guests who are staying multiple nights We do offer softer pillows which guests are able to request prior to or at check-in. If you choose to stay with us next time you are in town please advise us and we will place the softer pillows in the room for you. Thank you again for the review.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Victoria.

Pros
1. Hotel is clean and well maintained.
2. Staff were polite enough - they could be warmer and friendlier but nonetheless acceptable and par for the course in a big city.
3. Compares favorably against other establishments of similar rating and room rates in both USA and Canada.
4. Room is well-decorated, spacious and extremely comfortable with clean and new linen and towels, cable TV, iron and ironing board, coffee maker and free WiFi internet (which works!)
5. Conveniently located to shopping, restaurants and, for those keen on walking, within walking distance of the business district and many tourist attractions including the Hockey Hall of Fame, the Waterfront, Air Canada Centre (Toronto Maple Leafs), Roundhouse Park, CN Tower, Rogers Centre, Wayne Gretzky's, Roy Thomson Hall, Canada's Walk of Fame, Eaton Centre, etc.
6. Hockey Hall of Fame is only a 2 minute walk away.
7. OverEasy, the onsite restaurant, serves fantastic food for breakfast and lunch, at reasonable prices.
8. Great Burger Kitchen is a 5 minute walk away at 9 Church St. Possibly the cheapest food within walking distance of the hotel, yet the burgers were fantastic! Especially important as most restaurants in the immediate area are costly.

Cons
1. No on-site car parking. Note that there is a City of Toronto (Green P) municipal parking facility nearby at 2 Church St. It is a covered and secured parking station for about $14 per day. While the carpark is nearby, it was slightly inclined uphill and very inconvenient with large luggage bags.
2. On-site restaurant, OverEasy, is not open for dinner (wish it was!)

Summary
I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel, particularly at the discounted room rate I was lucky enough to secure, plus the convenience of location to the primary attractions we wanted to visit eg HHOF. Would we stay again? Yes definitely.

I am giving the Hotel Victoria 4 Stars, not as any suggestion of hotel star-classification, but as a reflection of our satisfaction with the establishment. A thumbs up!

A humungous thanks should you rate this review as helpful. Happy travels!

Room Tip: Request room facing rear courtyard. Should be quieter than rooms facing Yonge Street.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank sand2skis

Dear skis-gitz,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay we appreciate all guest comments. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us while visiting our great city of Toronto. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to our housekeeping department. You are correct we are very conveniently located to shopping, tourist attractions and restaurants many of which are within walking distance. For guests who do wish to park a car, we suggest the lot located at 2 Church Street and recommend that they unload any luggage first in our loading zone. Please contact our Rooms Manager directly at roomsmanager@hotelvictoria.on.ca when you wish to return to Toronto and we will be more than happy to assist you with your accommodation needs.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

We booked a four night stay at Hotel Victoria in Toronto for a holiday vacation (December, 2013). We were convinced by the internet pictures and descriptions of the hotel as a charming place to stay, and by the description in Fodor's 2012 guide to Toronto and Niagara Falls. Our bottom line: the experience was so awful that we spent a good part of the first evening in the hotel finding another place to stay and checked out the following morning. There were so many things to dislike: the room we stayed in was tiny and claustrophobic. The bathroom was so small you essentially were in danger of tripping over the toilet upon entering the bathroom. The heating system was absolutely terrible: the vent poured out heat at an extremely high temperature, and there was no way to modify it. When we turned the heat off, we were freezing. We spent the night with the heat on as low as possible and the window open, and got up continually throughout the night to adjust the heat and modify the degree to which the window was open. There was no good solution to this problem: we were alternately hot and sweating or freezing cold. Fodor's indicated that a "pro" of the hotel was "gym privileges at nearby health club." This is absolutely misleading. First, there was a hefty fee to use the "nearby" club; and in addition, it was several blocks from the hotel, which is not appealing when having to make a trip back after a work out. Another problem was location: there was not much around at night, so options for meals were limited. The only positive thing we can say about this hotel is that staff were gracious in allowing us to leave without penalty.

One final comment: for people who still use print travel guides: my experience over years is that Frommer's is consistently reliable, Fodor's is not. The only reason we used Fodor's guide is that we could not find a Frommer's that was as recent as Fodor's. I will never pay for a Fodor's guide again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kathy W

Dear Kathy W,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
There is someone always available at the front desk anytime of the day to assist guests with any requirements including assistance with the heating and air conditioner controls to ensure the guest is comfortable in the room.
You are correct, we do not have our own gym facilities in the hotel however we do recommend a nearby Goodlife Fitness located at 100 Yonge Street.
We do pride ourselves on being conveniently located in the heart of the Financial District surrounded by many great restaurants, shops and tourist attractions.
Thank you again for taking the time to review your stay with us.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

On a few websites you see this hotel as beautiful and state of the art. The prices are said to be for a good room and at a good location. But guess what? You're being fooled. I drove 10 hours to be greeted by rude people at the front desk and when we got to the room, it was A SHOEBOX. No room to walk, and we payed $400 for 2 nights. There is NO HEATING IN ANY ROOM BY THE WAY. If you want to adjust the heat, YOU HAVE TO GET UP EVERY MINUTE BECAUSE IT GETS WAY TO WARM AND IT GETS WAY TO COLD. Oh yeah, when people walk by, the walls are so thin YOU GET WOKEN UP 6-7 TIMES. Endless hours of sleep you loose over and over and I can't believe this. I'm currently on the phone with the hotel as I have just lost a whole nights of sleep after the hotel was falsely advertised and the rooms are nothing but a shoebox. The staff is nothing is but rude and are having a screaming match with me over the fact I'm paying SO MUCH for nothing.. STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL. I have a kid and she is feeling so sick from being waken up so many times. I really can't emphasize how bad this hotel is...

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank BenedictSherlock
Erskin L, General Manager at Hotel Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Hi BenedictSherlock,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I was obviously disappointed that you had some issues with your stay, just for future reference we have four room types at the Victoria starting with our standard rooms to our much larger deluxe rooms. There is heating in every room and staff available 24hrs to help if you have issues with the heating or air conditioning. I do apologize if you were awoken multiple times during your stay, we at the Victoria always do our best to make sure all of our guest have a quiet and comfortable stay but occasionally we do have guest that can be very boisterous. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Have stayed here a couple of times now.
The larger of the rooms are fronting Yonge Street and these are reasonably sized. The small rooms however are very small. Last time I stayed towards the back on the 2nd floor and the room was tiny. Bed was comfortable though. Shower handset on the wall has seen better days.
With hotels you get what you pay for. This is cheap but ideally situated. Comfortable but not flashy.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank KentPaul

Dear KentPaul,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your most recent stay with us. You are correct our Deluxe Rooms which are the largest in the hotel are Yonge Street facing and we recommend these rooms for guests who may be staying multiple nights with us. Please contact our Rooms Manager directly at roomsmanager@hotelvictoria.on.ca when you wish to book with us again and we will ensure that your next stay is a comfortable one.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

I'm currently staying here. I fully paid for 6 night stay because I'm working in the Financial District for the week. I work late hours and had an old friend come see me and the front desk agent rudely starts bantering me with questions on how long my friend is visiting for. I was mortified. I felt like I was at some cheap desperate hotel. The appropriate thing to do if he was so concern was give me call or write a note. He was literally having a screaming match with me in the lobby saying "oh he has to pay extra" so unprofessional.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank BuckSarah

Hi BuckSarah,

First let me thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us, I was quite dismayed when I read your review as it not our regular policy to question our guest about whom they have visiting while they are staying with us. I do sincerely apologize for the negative experience and we will definitely following up with all of our front line staff so that this situation is not repeated. I would love to invite you to stay with us again and allow us the opportunity to show you our usual high level of customer service, please contact me directly if you require accommodation in downtown Toronto.