“Rehash of other reviews - Fantastic experience, bring your own internet!”

InterContinental Toronto Yorkville
Ranked #14 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed February 25, 2011

As others have mentioned previously, the customer service in this hotel is top notch. I managed to get one of the remaining unrenovated rooms on priceline (for 90 USD / night. Wow) - which was a great value.

Check in was a breeze. Everybody on the way in was very friendly (the doorman and desk staff), despite it being 11:30 PM on a Sunday. I felt especially welcomed by one front desk staffer in particular (I think her name was Sarah - but I'm TERRIBLE with names). She welcomed me back to the hotel every time I walked by (ninja stealth or otherwise), and seemed genuinely happy to chat when it wasn't busy.

Many of the little things are probably going to get addressed with the reno's. The room was in need of a few repairs (shower head, cracked tiles & chipped bathtub), and the television had seen better days (the power button was crushed, and the TV itself was from the turn of the century). However, for $90 / night in such a fantastic location, those were minimally distressing. My remote didn't work at first, but after I mentioned it, it was fixed in the time it took to meet a friend for coffee. The king bed was amazing.

The fitness centre was more than enough for my needs. Two treadmills, some other misc. machines, and enough weights that 1-2 people could work out at the same time. The pool was also quite nice. I didn't get to try the restaurant or vodka bar.

Others have mentioned the high price of internet. That bears repeating. Despite my best efforts - there was no free wi-fi in surrounding buildings to borrow from. I'm sure the internet provided for $12 / night IS quite fast, but since I was staying for 9 nights, it actually ended up being cheaper for me to go purchase high speed internet from Wind mobile once I landed (Stick was $60, internet was $25 / month and it too, is fast :)

Summary: Highly recommend, fantastic service and just a small couple snags. If you can get your corporation to pay for everything, it's even better! =)

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
GMTorontoYorkville, General Manager at InterContinental Toronto Yorkville, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2011

Thank you for the thorough review. Sarah is a new member of the staff and is "a natural"...she loves to welcome guests to the hotel. I am sorry you ended up in one of the rooms that remain to be upgraded (those should be complete by summer). Your suggestion for the internet is innovative and makes great sense for those trying to avoid the hotel service. As I have written in previous postings, running extra bandwidth and routers to ensure superior service comes with an expense that we find necessary to pass on to those customers using that service. I, too, hope that the expenses come down soon. We look forward to welcoming you back! AG

Write a ReviewReviews (1,556)

Reviewed February 23, 2011

I had a one night stay in Toronto and decided to stay at the Intercontinental Yorkville as it had been recommended to me in past.
The front desk team were very friendly and efficient from the get go. I was more then pleased with my spacious room that had a beautiful view looking over the Royal Conservatory and D/T skyline.
As well the physical location is a wonderful one for someone that may or may not know the city. It's very close to the subway system, as well is a 5 minute walk from the main shopping/entertainment district of Yorkville.
For only being able to stay in the city for 1 night, this was the perfect location to deal with all of my needs.
The room rate was more then fair for the again the location and Proof Bar was a fantastic spot to grab a drink or two before heading off into the night!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo

Thanks for the great posting! The view from the rooms overlooking the Royal Ontario Museum, the Royal Conservatory of Music and downtown really are postcard quality. It's no wonder the international press has used our location to shoot the Toronto skyline on a number of occasions. Come back and visit again soon. AG

Reviewed February 23, 2011

We had not been to Toronto in 20 years. My husband owns a hotel in Montreal and so we are accustomed to travelling all over the world. I have to say that we were pleasantly surprised at how charming this smaller version of the Intercontinental chain is. When we first arrived (Feb.19) the front desk clerk (Monique) was most charming. We checked in at 6:00p.m. and the hotel was full so she did her best to get us an upgrade since our reservation which was for a kingsize bed werea only available at this time in the suites. She then called one of the managers to approve the upgrade. He was even more pleasant than she was. The doormen were extremely helpful since we did not know much about getting around in the city. We had drinks before going to dinner at the bar in the hotel. Amber, the bartender/waiter was extremely nice and knew his drinks and cheeses very well. All I can now say is that we will be going back often to Toronto for business and the Intercontinental is the place to stay in Yorkville. Thank you to all the staff for taking such good care of us.
Ilda (Montreal

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Ilda:

Thanks for the wonderful review and I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay so thoroughly. Monique is relatively new to the team and many of our guests have commented on her great disposition. Enver in the bar has been delighting our guests for a couple years and really adds to the cool vibes of Proof. We look forward to your return soon. AG

Reviewed February 21, 2011

Last year (2010) was the first time I stayed in this IHG property and I became immediately loving the Yorkville area, and also this hotel. Perhaps it is an old hotel, nothing really fancy about the rooms, the location is good, and the staff membes are great. I always like those doorman boys are very good, professional, eager to help. This time around, I was revisiting this hotel with an elevated priority club membership - royal ambassador. Like before, I had two reward nights and one paid nights, on the check-in, the lady was pleasantly addressing me by offering to just combine the two separate bookings into one paperwork, and upgraded me to a StudioSuite. I did request 816, close to the gym workout/fitness room but it was unavailable.

When I was asking about the benefit of accessing the mini-bar for being a RA member, I got a clear answer. After checking in, I was afraid of being overcharged and phoned the concierge desk about the minibar access, i was offered a quick and clear answer quickly. Even though the mini-bar was not re-installed, but I was happy that I was abble to get some soft drinks after working out and sunna room, given the bad weather outside. When I was checking out on Sunday, the checkout lady was asking if I was aware of the mini-bar benefit during my stay.

Although the guest rooms could use some re-skinning or refurbishing or renovations (the latest was that the flat-screen TVs are being installed in all the rooms, and my room did have a new TV), the lobby and the function room floor (2nd) look very classically luxuous and splendid, and I like alot.

Overall the minor issue is that the TV inputs are still analog (yes, installed new flat-screen TV), and the channel choices are not great.

However, I still overall have received good impression on this hotel. I do think the staff members are great. I travel to Toronto a lot, and used to stay in the city centre Intercon hotel (the old Crowne Plaza upgrade), but now feel a lot to prefer staying in this property. I also love the 24-hr fitness room access, and self-adjusted sauna room, which I used every day.

I assume this hotel might still be a good choice for many conference goers, as the guest rooms are not particularly chic, just steps away from the ROM and Yorkville shops, and easy access to TTC subway stations, I would recommend others to stay here.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the posting and the great comments, particularly regarding the recently renovated fitness centre. We have received many glowing comments on the sauna and I can personally attest to its quality; what a great way to relax after a hard day's work or a long day shopping (there is a sauna in both the men's and ladies locker rooms). The upgrade to a hi-def signal should happen within the next two months as we are working hard to get on the local cable provider's upgrade schedule. We look forward to your return. AG

Reviewed February 21, 2011

We stayed for 4 nights in late Jan, for leisure.
Everything that has been said in other reviews is true and so there is little to add.

The hotel's location is perfect for exploring the city via public transport and foot. The neighbourhood has many excellent restaurants, to suite all tastes and pockets, within walking distance.

The room was great. Very spacious with all of the facilities you would expect from an upmarket hotel. It's probably in need of some small changes to keep up to date with contemporary style and technology, especially the shower, which seemed a bit outdated in comparison to those found in peer hotels. However, everything was very clean, in good condition and very comfortable.

The vodka bar has a misleading menu, was overpriced and understaffed, but that is really being quite fussy.

In the rest of the hotel, the service was excellent. Friendly, courteous and not intrusive. Nothing was too much trouble. All in all this hotel has a good vibe.

You will not regret choosing this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the posting and the great comments on the location and friendly staff. If you feel so disposed, please reach out to me directly with more details on your experience in Proof (Vodka Bar). Our goal is prefection and it sounds like you may have feedback that will get us there. Thanks again and we look forward to your return. AG

Reviewed February 16, 2011

The Intercontinental Toronto Yorkville was an integral part of our bachelorette party celebration on February 5th. We planned to have dinner at a local restaurant in Yorkville so we needed to find a hotel close to the restaurant where friends and family could gather before dinner and where some could sleep after the party. There are several upscale hotels in this area, all of which were checked, but none met the criteria like the InterContinental Toronto Yorkville. It was the obvious choice.

From the moment I walked through the front door of the Intercontinental and spoke to Rolf Kenda (Front Office Manager), I was so well taken care of that I cannot think of another hotel experience that comes close to matching the customer service I received. Mr. Kenda's easy and professional manner made my experience very positive. He remembered my name and used it within moments of my introducing myself. When explaining the details of our upcoming special event and the type of room I was looking for, he willingly volunteered to show me several rooms that he felt would meet my criteria. I decided to reserve The Executive Suite and Mr Kenda offered a special deal which allowed me to book the adjoining room as well. Anything I asked for was provided including an early check in and late check out allowing the bridal party some extra time to relax.

The entire staff at this hotel helped us to make our special event more memorable. We arrived with decorations which the door staff helped us take to the room. The housekeeping staff also assisted by bringing special treats for Saturday night and providing what we needed to clean up before our departure.

The hotel was in a perfect location for our event and it provided a clean, classy and comfortable stay. My friends and family wish to thank Mr Kenda and his staff for helping us provide an enjoyable event for the bride, her family and friends.

Thank you Intercontinental Toronto Yorkville!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for the great feedback and for allowing us to be the venue for your special celebration. I agree taht once you encounter Rolf, all kinds of special things happen. He is the consummate professional and exceptional host. Congratulations of the wedding and remember, we do an awesome baby shower! AG

Reviewed February 14, 2011

Enjoyed my stay, from the bellboy greeting and quick check-in to the spacious room, excellent, fast service and quiet night for a great sleep. Will make it my go-to place for Toronto trips.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business

Thanks for the great posting and we look forward to welcoming you back! AG