“Extremely Nice Hotel”

Ranked #16 of 134 Hotels in Toronto
St. James, New York, United States
“Extremely Nice Hotel”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

The hotel is in an ideal location. You're pretty much in the middle of most things. There's a couple of days worth of activities all within walking distance. Don't forget to visit the Bata Shoe Museum about two blocks away on Bloor Street. OK, back to the hotel. It was very clean. However, if you had an inside courtyard room, the rooms need more light. You could pull back all the draperies, but then you'd have no privacy whatsoever. Also, the lower levels facing the courtyard can be noisy late at night due to the bar crowd. Get a room facing Bloor Street and you won't have any of these issues. The hotel's website said there was a rowing machine in the fitness center and there wasn't. (Only rowers would care about this.)
The staff was quite friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Get a high floor room facing W. Bloor Street.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Finding a good hotel in Toronto seemed very difficult before the trip, and still seems difficult. I was worried about this hotel being all flash (like the hotels I have stayed at in Asia) and no substance. It sort of was, but compared to the second hotel we went to (Ocho), we would come back here.

-The room was mostly clean and the bed mostly comfortable.
-We did not have issues with noise here - which is HUGE when traveling, worth a lot.
-Safe in room was great, a requirement now days.
-Loved that I could open the window.
-Liked that our room was on Bloor with good views of the Royal Ontario Museum.
-Location is good for walking through the college campus and to numerous areas.
-Area seemed safe.
-Parking garage was expensive, but it was great that it was under the hotel and we could take the elevator up directly into the hotel.
-Hotel staff was nice.

Negatives:
-Overall the room seemed like it needed a revamp, especially the bathroom. I can never put my finger exactly on what makes hotels seem tired, but this one did.
-We had to pay for internet access. Seriously? Isn't it 2013? This should be part of the hotel amenities in this day and age. Lame.
-Business center use was an extra charge. Want to print that boarding pass? Forget doing it here, do it at the airport.
-This is not anything like the InterContinental I stayed at in Soma in San Francisco. InterContinental could use some brand consistency. Get this place up to SF level and this could be a great option for people visiting Toronto.

I'm not sure there are great hotel options in Toronto in general, so I guess I would come back here. I was traveling with my husband, but if I had to travel here as a solo female business traveler I would feel comfortable here.

Room Tip: Windows are actually soundproof, don't hesitate to ask for a room on Bloor Street. You will hav...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bealocal
simonantoine, General Manager at InterContinental Toronto Yorkville, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Bealocal,
Thank you kindly for taking the time to post your comment following your most recent stay wtih us! I am very glad you enjoyed the location, views and the cleanliness of the guestroom.

In regards to having complimentary internet for our guests - we indeed do offer it - to all of our Elite IHG Reward Members (Gold, Platinum & all Ambassador members). Also, in 2014, we are launching complimentary internet to ALL of our IHG Reward Members.

Although our business center is a third party operated site, it does actually offer complimentary printing of all boarding passes. In addition, we also have a computer station on the lobby level dedicated exclusively to printing boarding passes. The station is convenietly located near the elevators.

Once again, thank you so much for providing such valuable feedback and comments. We do hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you back in the near future!

London, Canada
Reviewed August 16, 2013

This hotel is in an ideal location for shopping, good restaurants and sightseeing. I recently spent 2 nights in this hotel. The ROM is just across the street and there is a wonderful selection of shops along Bloor and nearby. The hotel staff are extremely welcoming and friendly. The gentlemen at the door greet you warmly as they open the doors. The desk staff are very helpful. There are nice extra touches - apples, water and towels in the lobby for morning joggers. The newspaper delivered to your room.
I used the fitness room and found it clean and well equipped. The pool is ideal for doing lengths and a great depth for Aquafitness. The hotel lounge was inviting with a lovely fireplace and comfortable chairs. The staff were very friendly.
I would definitely stay there again and recommend it to anyone who would like a comfortable, convenient hotel in the heart of Toronto.

Room Tip: The fitness centre and pool are on the 8th floor if you would like to be close. There is also a lov...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Florence, Italy
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We spent 4 nights in this hotel and the overall experience was excellent. The room was very nice, spacious, quiet and comfortable. Although we would have preferred a buffet, breakfast was very good.
Location is perfect for visiting the city.
What we most appreciated is the courtesy and professionalism of the staff, in particular we would like to thank Carolina, the chief of concierge, for the exemplary support he gave us organising our city sightseeing, the visit to Niagara and even with our car rental!

• Stayed August 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Was in town for only one night and wished to stay right on Bloor Street close to great dining and shopping. The staff was very pleasant and accommodating. I appreciate a quick check-in, being told where the elevators were in a helpful way, not condensing. The room was a surprise, big king size bed, large marble bathroom, a K-cup coffee machine, and to my surprise a I-Home alarm clock/docking station. The bed may have been the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. I'm disappointed that I was not staying longer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
simonantoine, General Manager at InterContinental Toronto Yorkville, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Lloyd M,
Thank you so much for your wonderful compliments and kind words regarding your experience at the InterContinental Toronto Yorkville!

It is a pleasure knowing you had a restful sleep and that you enjoyed the guestroom ameneties.

We look very forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

General Manage
London, ON
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Visiting friends and family in Toronto, Onatrio last week we decided to stay in downtown Toronto and chose the InterContinental Yorkville Hotel which ended up being the right decision. It is ideally located at Avenue Rd and Bloor St which is a perfect area for seeing the sights and dining. It is close to Yorkville district for upscale shopping and plenty of varied dining opportunities as well as the trendier shopping on Bloor St. Near the Royal Ontario Museum, the University of Toronto and within subway distance of much of Toronto's tourist destinations it is the perfect spot.
But let us not forget the hotel. Service is attentive, but not obtrusive and always friendly. Check-in was seamless. The rooms are big, clean with a marble bathroom. One minor glitch was the shower which is separate from the bathtub. The shower is very narrow; no swinging a cat in there, but I quibble. One night we dined in the hotel restaurant called Signatures. The serve staff were professional, knowledgeable and non-intrusive. The food was superbly prepared and was a real treat. I think the wine list could be a little expanded and inclusive. The food prices are what is to be expected from a hotel, but no surprises there. Parking is beneath the hotel, but operated by an independant parking authority so payment is made to them on leaving the premises. You pay Toronto parking rates which, as to be expected, are high as they are in any major city. Valet parking is avaiable at an added charge. Prices are reasonable for a downtown Toronto hotel. In summary, I heartily recommend this hotel and will definately stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the hotel in June overnight to attend a wedding nearby.

We opted to use the $35.00 valet service offered by the hotel rather than find parking. We handed our key and car over to valet, got our valet ticket and checked in.

Check in went quite smoothly. The elevators arrived promptly in the lobby and we found our room quite satisfactory. King room overlooking the courtyard. I loved the bathroom which had a separate shower and bath tub.

Upon leaving for the wedding, we noticed our car was still sitting in the same spot we left it in with valet. We didn't think much of this until we returned to the hotel at 11:30 to find a parking ticket on our vehicle. We found the parking attendant who informed us that there had been a misunderstanding at valet and the hotel would take care of the parking ticket.

The next morning we checked out with the assurance that the ticket issued to us would be paid for by the hotel. Valet returned our car to us and we were on our way home.

Three weeks ago, we received an envelope from the Toronto Parking Authority for the ticket we were assured to be paid. Despite contacting management several times, we have not been able to get an answer as to why this ticket has not been paid that we were assured would be paid 6 weeks ago! We have gotten so tired of waiting for a reponse that we paid the ticket ourself to avoid late penalties and/or another trip to Toronto (we live over 100km away) for a court appearance. I am quite disappointed in the customer service of this hotel and will not be returning to the chain. For those staying here in the future, be mindful of the valet service. Ensure that everything is in order before you hand your keys over!

• Stayed June 2013
simonantoine, General Manager at InterContinental Toronto Yorkville, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear McChapds,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to write your review regarding your most recent stay with us. While I was glad to read you enjoyed the check in procedure, guest room and guest bathroom, I was extremely disappointed to read about the parking ticket incident.

Please rest assured there was a miscommunication that has occurred; I would like to discuss further with you if you are so inclined to message me privately.

In the meanwhile, please accept our most sincere apology for this misunderstanding. It is an extremely rare occasion that a guest is inconvenienced in such a way.

I look forward to discussing the matter with you further.