“Dissapointing customer service from management.”

InterContinental Toronto Yorkville
Ranked #15 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
“Dissapointing customer service from management.”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the hotel in June overnight to attend a wedding nearby.

We opted to use the $35.00 valet service offered by the hotel rather than find parking. We handed our key and car over to valet, got our valet ticket and checked in.

Check in went quite smoothly. The elevators arrived promptly in the lobby and we found our room quite satisfactory. King room overlooking the courtyard. I loved the bathroom which had a separate shower and bath tub.

Upon leaving for the wedding, we noticed our car was still sitting in the same spot we left it in with valet. We didn't think much of this until we returned to the hotel at 11:30 to find a parking ticket on our vehicle. We found the parking attendant who informed us that there had been a misunderstanding at valet and the hotel would take care of the parking ticket.

The next morning we checked out with the assurance that the ticket issued to us would be paid for by the hotel. Valet returned our car to us and we were on our way home.

Three weeks ago, we received an envelope from the Toronto Parking Authority for the ticket we were assured to be paid. Despite contacting management several times, we have not been able to get an answer as to why this ticket has not been paid that we were assured would be paid 6 weeks ago! We have gotten so tired of waiting for a reponse that we paid the ticket ourself to avoid late penalties and/or another trip to Toronto (we live over 100km away) for a court appearance. I am quite disappointed in the customer service of this hotel and will not be returning to the chain. For those staying here in the future, be mindful of the valet service. Ensure that everything is in order before you hand your keys over!

• Stayed June 2013
simonantoine, General Manager at InterContinental Toronto Yorkville, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear McChapds,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to write your review regarding your most recent stay with us. While I was glad to read you enjoyed the check in procedure, guest room and guest bathroom, I was extremely disappointed to read about the parking ticket incident.

Please rest assured there was a miscommunication that has occurred; I would like to discuss further with you if you are so inclined to message me privately.

In the meanwhile, please accept our most sincere apology for this misunderstanding. It is an extremely rare occasion that a guest is inconvenienced in such a way.

I look forward to discussing the matter with you further.

Simon Antoine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Portland, ME
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I am on a cross country trip with my dog. I called the Intercontinental because it was listed as a dog friendly hotel. It was fairly expensive - $269 Canadian before taxes. They told me there would be a $25 nightly dog charge. That was no problem but when I arrived after 4 pm and had to wait for a room they told me there would be a $50 one time "deep cleaning" charge. I was only staying one night. So that results in a $75 pet fee. I would not have booked the hotel had I known that. And I doubt they really "deep clean." I am very willing to pay for any damage or if the dog should have a accident but this fee is hardly dog friendly.

My second complaint is that they are nickel and dimeing for wifi services. It's 9.95 for regular and 12.95 for "premium" internet. The regular internet is very slow. I assume that's to get guests to kick in another three bucks.

Otherwise the room is perfectly OK for an older hotel and the staff is very nice. They are just constrained by bad management policies.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Shantaram
Dear Shantaram,

Thank you for your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for not knowing all the Pet Fees upon booking. This should have been made known to you in your reservation process. The reason for the Deep Cleaning Fee is because we need to ensure the proper cleaning measures are taken so the guestroom can be completely void of any evidence that a pet has stayed there before. Some of our guests may be heavily allergic to any pet dander, so every precaution needs to be taken to ensure it is safe for the next guest.

Once again, I am very sorry this has not made known to you prior to checking in. I do sincerely hope this will not deter you from returning because we would love to welcome you (and your dog!) back to the InterContinental Toronto Yorkville in the near future.

Boston, MA
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

After a great first stay this hotel, I returned this month as I felt the InterContinental earned my business.

I flew in Sunday night and arrived just before 11pm. Checking in, I was told my king bed reservation will be ignored and that I will get a room with two double beds. I had to insist and lose my patience for the person checking me in to give me the room I reserved. She also made it show as if she was doing me a favor upgrading me. I would have scoffed this as a single incident had it not for my colleague who arrived the following night, had a king bed room reserved and was told the same. Again, she persisted and got the room she reserved but this was a really crappy way to start a business trip when you're arriving tired at night. No one asked for an upgrade, just what we reserved.

Another wrinkle in this visit was the fact that my room faced the hotel's courtyard. The hotel has three general room locations: street facing, courtyard facing and rear facing. The rear facing rooms, as I experienced on my previous visit, were very quiet. The courtyard facing rooms appear to have a major flaw. The hotel operates a bar/restaurant in the courtyard. On nights when the bar is in operation, the noise levels can be very noticeable if not outright disturbing. On the hotel seventh floor (there are eight) it was difficult to fall asleep at 11pm due to noise with Windows and curtains closed and with the air conditioning on. Colleagues who stayed on lower floors had a similar experience and I would suspect even worse.
Finally, we visited the hotel's restaurant for breakfast and for drinks on night. There are far better choices right next door. Museum Tavern, literally located in the adjacent building, is a terrific bar and restaurant. In that same building is a breakfast venue called Eggs over easy which again, offers more variety and better prices than the Intercontinental's restaurants.
In summary - good hotel, not sure I'll be back. Peace and quiet are important to me; getting the room I reserved matter even more.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear pace_ripley,
Thank you kindly for taking the time to write your second review of your experience at the InterContinental Toronto Yorkville!

I was extremely disappointed to read you did not fully enjoy your stay. Unfortunately, when the hotel is running at a very high occupancy, such as it did on the day of your arrival, we cannot always grant every guest request. While we try our hardest to accommodate the guestroom preference, the guestroom type is not guaranteed as we only have a limited amount of certain guest room types.

I do still remain hopeful that we will get another chance to welcome you back.

Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Rooms were very clean. Our room was overlooking the courtyard so was very quiet. Staff was friendly. Location was great, lots of restaurants and shopping close by. Only a 10 minutes cab ride to downtown. The only issue I had with the hotel was that you had to pay $10-$12 a day for wifi.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jibbity,
Thanks so much for your review!
It is a pleasure reading you've enjoyed your stay as well as the cleanliness and quietness of your guestroom.

As for the WI-FI charges, we do offer complimentary internet service to our Elite IHG Rewards Club Members (Gold, Platinum, and all Ambassadors). Hopefully, this is something you may be interested in, as the benefits truly are great!

We look forward to welcoming you back!

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Overall, is a nice place and a great location, right across from the Royal Ontario Museum on Bloor Street.

Only bad part is that when we arrived at 4pm (!) they made us wait an hour to prepare the room- this seems absurd at that late hour of the day.

The room was okay- a little on the small side. And we only had an interior view of the inner courtyard with a vodka bar. It might be noisy at night (but it was pouring rain on this night so was not noisy)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
simonantoine, General Manager at InterContinental Toronto Yorkville, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear JPM,
Thank you for your review!

Please accept our apologies for having to wait longer than usual for your room to be ready for your arrival. Unfortunately when we are at our maximum occupancy, we may occasionally need a little extra time to accommodate for the large volume of guests arriving/departing that day.

I can ensure you that we always try our best to accommodate every guest request and prepare for every arrival.

I do remain hopeful we will have another opportunity to welcome you back!

Toronto
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Having stayed at the Intercontinental in downtown Toronto, we were expecting the one in Yorkville to be great. We found it to be not nearly as good. The service was equivalent to a more inexpensive hotel, and the room wasn't that clean. The TV didn't work and had to be repaired. When we checked out, we were charged for a phone call the repair person had made while repairing the TV (they reversed it, but it shouldn't have charged to us in the first place). When we were leaving, a whole bunch of limos were blocking the area the area in front of the hotel, making it very difficult to load up our stuff and then leave. We would recommend the Intercontinental downtown (by the CN tower) over this one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Toronto Yorkville, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear GrGreene,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We only stayed one night and had a very good experience with this hotel. The only downside was the slow service during breakfast otherwise all other services including room, front desk, concierge, valet were excellent. We prefer this location as it was not crowded and we did not feel rushed. I would definitely stay here again if coming back to Toronto.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family