“Very Nice But I Expected Better”

Hockey Hall of Fame
Ranked #10 of 501 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Honor the achievements of some of the greatest stars in hockey at this shrine to Canada's national sport.
St. Louis
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Very Nice But I Expected Better”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I've been a hockey fan for decades. I've played hockey, coached it and have been an NHL season ticket holder for many years. So I guess I qualify as a hockey fan.

The Hall of Fame is a really nice facility. The displays are all first class in style and composition. My only problem with the facility is that it is too much like a museum. A bunch of static displays. Many of them seemingly redundant in nature. I'm glad I went but I can't imagine needed to see the place again.

• Czech first
  • Slovak first
Laguna Beach, California
103 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“Where to see Hockey in Toronto”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

The building was once a bank and has great architecture. The Stanley Cup is kept in a safe. Lots to see and do. There are areas where you can try out your skills by either hitting the puc or trying to catch it as the goaly. Lots to see give yourself time.

1 Thank Byron R
Inuvik, Canada
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Hockey Hall of Fame Experience”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

First off, this is the ice hockey hall of fame, not the field hockey hall of fame.
I love learning the history of hockey. The recommended time for this attraction is listed as 1-2 hours, I spent three hours there and could have been there longer if the girlfriend wasn't bored. 1-2 hours was good for her, a mild hockey fan. When you enter you get your hand stamped and she went back and forth to the mall, which the HHOF is located in, a few times. There is a food court just across from the HHOF and vending machines within the hall.
The location of the Hall is great, just a few blocks from Union Station. The layout inside the Hall isn't the best. It would be easy to miss the Great Hall of trophies. There doesn't seem to be a flow to it. Space is an issue, and so it the subway, which you can hear passing every 10-15 minutes.
The displays are attractive but not all artifacts or pictures are labeled and some of the display cards for the items can be hard to match up. I also wish there was more audio descriptions for the displays, such as the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. I would have loved to hear old radio clips or interviews about some of the displays.
Almost all of the interactive displays are together. This section is geared towards children. If your visit coincides with a school trip visit, you may have a hard time enjoying this section. Luckily, there were no school groups when we went, so we really enjoyed this section. The play-by-play booths are upstairs and are great fun... as long as the other booth aren't filled and being recorded on your play-by-play as well. There is a trivia game but it was asking the most obscure questions. Such as put these seven defencemen from 1993 draft picks in alphabetical order, expect only five were actually drafted in 1993, or they did a blurry picture with no clues for a Who Am I on Greg Terrion, a 3rd/4th line player from the 80s.
They had two movie being played. One was for the 72 Summit Series. I only got to watch a bit of it but wished I could have sat and watched the entire video. The other video was a 3D movie called Game Seven. The 3D effects were good, but the actual movie was ridiculous and they showed the same type of play several times. They added a lot of filler to make it a 20 minute show.
I give the HHOF 4 out of 5. It's a but pricey at $17 but is well worth it for the hockey fan.

Whitby, Canada
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Nice.”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

This was not my first time at this venue. The exhibits
are well placed and organised.
Being a Maple Leaf fan, I hope one day they will replace
the Montreal Canadiens dressing room with the Maple Leafs.
For the true hockey fan, this is a palace!!
I still feel the location should have been MAPLE LEAF GARDENS!!!

Visited June 2012
canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Total coincidence!”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We had a very interesting experience with our trip to the hall of fame. We were visiting the area on business and decided to take a little time out for pleasure. On our way to the hockey hall of fame, we coincidentally bumped into Walter Gretzky and Gordie Howe!! We were thrilled! The men were overly kind and we got photos.
As for the hall of fame, there is much to see. They have it organized into sections for NHL, ECHL, CHL, Women's, Olympic, etc. just to name a few. There are interactive games for everyone and some incredible stories to hear about. We saw some paraphernalia that really jogged the memory and was so nostalgic.

Be sure to find the trophy room. They had the Stanley Cup among other things and short biographies about many of the sports greatest members.

Being located in the heart of downtown, it is easily accessible and a great way to spend a few hours for sports enthusiasts.