“Thoroughly enjoyed my day at the ROM”

Royal Ontario Museum
Ranked #4 of 530 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Opened in 1914, the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) showcases art, culture, and nature from around the globe and across the ages. One of North America's most renowned cultural institutions, Canada's largest museum is home to a world-class collection of more than six million objects and specimens, featured in 40 gallery and exhibition spaces. As the country’s preeminent field research institute and an international leader in new and original findings in biodiversity, palaeontology, earth sciences, the visual arts, material culture and archaeology, the ROM plays a vital role in advancing our global understanding of the artistic, cultural and natural world. The Renaissance ROM expansion project (2007) merged the iconic architectural heritage of the original building with the Studio Daniel Libeskind-designed Michael Lee-Chin Crystal. A distinctive new symbol of Toronto for the 21st century, the Crystal marked the beginning of a new era for the ROM as the country's premier cultural and social destination.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed November 6, 2013

This was my first time at this museum. One of the tour guides overheard me say that and invited me to join a free hour long tour of the highlights of the museum. We were a small group of 10 that grew and waned as we went as other visitors would drop in to listen. The guide was both enthusiastic and knowledgable. You could tell she enjoyed showing us the various exhibits. This was a great introduction to the ROM and afterwards I revisited those areas that most interested me. That said, there was still more to see that will have to wait until my next visit!

Write a ReviewReviews (6,647)

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Wonderful museum! I think we were only able to see about a third of the museum and we will be visiting again to see the parts that we missed. Beautifully done! I have been to museums around to world and this one does a wonderful job. We will be visiting again.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Some nice touches to this museum; a history of native North Americans and their culture, a bit of geology and the influences of English (and French) colonisation on Ontario.
But, nothing outstanding except the building in which it's built. Some nice old architecture (with a modern monstrosity on the front).

2  Thank NeilOxley
Reviewed November 3, 2013

The ROC is always worth a visit, not only because of the intriguing Daniel Liebeskind architecture of the addition (which, from a "useable" space point of view, wastes a lot of pointed corners ...) and the beautiful incorporation of the original building. The collections are probably unique in Canada and display exhibits from the vast expanse of this country, beginning with dinosaurs and ending with Native Canadian arts and artifacts.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

My husband described this museum as "the Smithsonian of Canada" because of its size. We spent over 4 hours inside and we still didn't see everything that there was to see.

We were impressed by the sheer number of exhibits and the variety of them - everything from ancient Egypt, to dinosaurs, to First Nations. I found the exhibits to be very well displayed with a lot of information attached to them. If you want to learn about the entire world while you're in Ontario, this is the place to go!

My only complaint is that since it's the Royal Ontario Museum, I felt like there should be more about Ontario in it. We have been to the museums in British Columbia and New Brunswick and both places had a lot of history about those specific provinces. I found the history of Ontario to be practically non-existent and the Canada section was pretty small. That is the only thing I would change though. I guess I just feel like if a museum has "Ontario" in its name then there should be something about Ontario in it! Aside from that though, its an excellent museum. We were overwhelmed by the size of it, and I would definitely recommend taking an entire day to visit - you'll need the time!

1  Thank Brooklet425