“Great Food, Great Pints, Great Service, and Great Music!”
Review of Whelan's Gate

Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Neighborhood: West End
Reviewed November 25, 2011

I was recently at Whelan's, and absolutely loved it! I was there on a Tuesday for the live music. The service was quick and not overbearing. The Guinness was cold and delicious. The Irish music was authentic and not too loud. It was a perfect evening out with Friends. We all ordered food, I had the Dublin burger, which was cooked perfectly. I loved everything about my experience. I highly recommend Whelan's Gate!

Reviewed October 17, 2011

I've been to Whelan's Gate a few times in the past and thought it was great, but had a horrible experience yesterday. Started with being given a dirty mug for my tea (about an inch of liquid in it with a scrap of paper floating there), then I was served a stuffed pork tenderloin that was only partially cooked. The raw meat was visible before I cut in, but I cut in half to make sure and demonstrate to the waitress. She took it back and had it cooked more, but didn't take anything off the bill. They have a nice patio, friendly staff and I have had great food in the past here, but I feel too grossed out to go back- too bad.

Reviewed August 16, 2011

This place is brutal. If you want to go and have nasty food, that is undercooked, then come here. If you want to wait for a long time for poor food, then come here. If you want to be served by the nastiest waitresses and greasiest cooks, then come here. Plus, if you want to see the same barflies hanging out, making scenes in the street, then come here! When I went, one of the waitresses got into it with a regular and he stood in the middle of the street yelling at her. What a joke!!

Reviewed February 9, 2011

This pub just keeps getting better...love the staff, they pour a wonderful Guinness and food is great

1  Thank mtgottago
Reviewed May 9, 2010

Is a great place if you love drunk, obnoxious frat boys and their groupies. Not only is the clientele disgusting but the staff is homely and is always trying to harass passerbys into coming to the gate, if they don't they become mouthy. Food is nasty and the patio is small and smoke-filled all the time.

Been to Whelan's Gate? Share your experiences!