“LOUD and PROUD!!”

Neighborhood: North End
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
“LOUD and PROUD!!”
Reviewed May 24, 2014

If your searching for that intimate, quiet, secluded little bistro. The place that may become your special romantic cafe, the two of you will always cherish. This is not it, stay away!
If however you have an adventurous spirit and are ready for a gastrocultural experience, then this may be your ideal location. We recently had dinner in this energized, authentic version of a Portuguese charcoal fired brassiere. The staff are friendly, courteous, knowledgeable and patient in answering our questions. My starter of whole braised sardines was complimented by an entree of marinated rabbit. The food portions were generous, with the service having both good presentation and quick service was all that I had expected.
Not for the faint of heart, however if your up to it this could help you to rethink your dinning options in midtown Toronto.
Bon appetite!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Jerry K

Toronto
“Extremely delicious food”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We picked Churrasco Villa for a family outing because the other Portuguese restaurant we were planning to go was over booked. I was a bit concerned about reviews and the appearance of the restaurant, as in our group everyone tends to get a bit picky and has different food preferences. However this was the best pick. The staff was extremely pleasant and very patient with the large group, where everyone had special requests. The food was much more tasty than many other restaurants in Toronto we went to recently. Portions were huge and we ended up sharing many plates. We had both fish and meat and everything was cooked to perfection. I am a seafood lover and I appreciated plain grilled fish and seafood instead of usual fried and overly sauced up food. Prices are also very affordable. We spent about $45 per person which included appetizer, main and 2-3 alcoholic drinks.
Now we are planning another family gathering later in the fall and we will definitely return to this restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
5 Thank Globalina
Toronto, Canada
“Gritty Potatoes and Bad Attitude”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My first time ordering from Churrasco Villa I thought the chicken was juicy and the roasted potatoes were delicious. I had also ordered grilled vegetables, which were tasty enough but quite expensive for what I got.
The second time, however, was a different story. I ordered the family pack as it seemed to be a good deal. It's a whole chicken (cut up), roasted potatoes, steamed vegetables and olives all packed together in one aluminum container with bread and piri piri served on the side. The chicken was fine, although the skin was rubbery and inedible. The vegetables were not nearly as delicious as the grilled I had had previously and I immediately regretted getting the family pack for this reason. But the worst part of the meal, and the reason I will never go back, is the potatoes were dirty. I could smell the dirt as I lifted the lid off the container and sure enough when I put one in my mouth it tasted like dirt and I could feel grit between my teeth. I thought maybe it was only one potato, but no, there were many. And they were in contact with the chicken and vegetables, which made it worse as the veggies and chicken had grit on them too.
So having been in the restaurant industry for many years I thought I would let them know what I had discovered so that they were aware of what had been served and would have an opportunity to attemp to retain my business should they choose to.
I called the restaurant and spoke to the hostess. I politely informed her that the potatoes I had just received from Churrasco Villa seemed like they were not sufficiently washed before they were cooked and then I described the experience of eating one. She asked me for my name and sounded irritated. I could tell that the conversation was going nowhere so I told her my name, address and what I had ordered. She was a bit flustered and seemed to be getting more irritated so I said I didn't want anything in return but thought that the restaurant should be aware of what had been served. She seemed slightly relieved at that point, said that she would tell somebody, sort of apologized and hung up. And that was that.
My whole reason for calling was so that they could redeem themselves and I wouldn't have to write a horrible review or tell anybody about my bad experience. Oh well. Will I ever pay $40 for dirty potatoes, rubbery vegetables, stale bread and inedible chicken skin again? Not likely. Of the 8 zillion churrasco places in Toronto, there's got to be one that washes their ingredients before cooking them.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank LNMToronto
Toronto, Canada
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This is one of my local favourites. I have eaten here numerous times and order delivery on a regular basis. The drumette dinner is may favourite, but there are numerous other options to choose from including ribs, seafood, chicken and even pasta. The piri piri and dill sauce make the meal... I typically order extra so I can add it to my own home-cooked meals. The staff have always been very friendly, and the location is very accessible from the Yonge and Eglinton area and subway. I highly recommend.

• Visited May 2013
Toronto
“Roast chicken and much more!”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

With an unassuming frontage, Churrasco Villa reminded me of the restaurant where we first had Portuguese style roast chicken when we were at a seaside town in Portugal. The charcoal broiled chicken was very good and served with rice pilaf and seasonal vegeables. But the bbq'd sardines were even better! These were served on toasted bread and onions. Superlative taste, amazing prices and terrific service. The waiter offered us extra bowls for soup without being asked when he heard that we were sharing, and he took it to mean we were sharing everything from the soup to the dinner. We'll definitely go back.

• Visited March 2013