“Hit and miss...”

Ranked #20 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Panama City
“Hit and miss...”
Reviewed September 14, 2010

First just let me say that there are some things that I liked about this hotel and others that annoyed me. I think the decision to stay here really depends on your age and the kind of hotel stay you prefer (we like hotels that focus on being a hotel, more than a hot spot).

If you're a young couple wanting to be in a "nightclub style environment" with your hotel in the center of it and you have a decent budget than this is the place for you (the rooms weren't too expensive, but the incrementals can add up fast)! First impression (during the day) is that it's quite slick, nicely decorated and the service was good, quick & friendly. At night the doorman (a different guy from earlier) seemed more like a bouncer and was texting and swearing when we pulled up, which made us feel like we were staying at a nightclub more than a hotel. (It seemed like they did casting calls for most of their staff instead of "hiring"- however some of the front desk & day staff were the exception).

They seemed to put a lot of effort into the style of the decor and less on the functionality. I wish they would have tested some of their "design touches" first before choosing style over usefulness. Stylish but impractical things include: the bathroom sink - huge and splashy, the lighting system - didn't work properly and turning on the bathroom light illuminates the whole room (argh!), no shower door - looks good, but is drafty, rain shower head - again, looks good, but is useless for women who don't want to wet their hair every time (I eventually asked for a shower cap, as one was not provided), and the black out blinds & curtains- light came in from above and in between. Also, there was a general lack of space to put stuff (especially in the bathroom due to the huge sink), plus our front door didn't close properly and needed to be pulled tightly shut.

Pros included the stylish decor (minus the impractical things), bed was comfy, hypo allergenic bedding was available and still comfortable, Wobara sushi restaurant was delicious (even though it was just opened and they didn't even have their liquor license yet!) and the location. King West is an amazing location and as a former Toronto resident I have to say that the shops and restaurants around the Thompson are excellent!

Pet peeves were: They only provided 2 towels and 1 bathrobe in a room for 2 with a King Bed, no slippers, only 4 hangers and no bathroom "extras" like Qtips, shower caps, sewing kit, etc. However I will mention that when I called down to request most of the above, they brought it to us fairly promptly (although I still feel like they should have been there automatically). Also, we had a corner room and half of our windows were covered in white vinyl, so the view was lost - which really was a shame.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the rooftop patio which is cool, with a gorgeous pool and has a great views of the city. But be warned the drinks are really expensive (a round of 4 vodka tonics was $53 - BEFORE TIP) and again the "bouncer-like attitude" is quite prevalent.

Last mentions - the breakfast in The Counter (diner style), was OK - a little bland and nothing great (better options on King), parking was $35/night (which is crazy - for that price I felt like they should have included a car wash, at least), and the blinds really should be electric - the incremental cost/room should have been justified and they could do without the difficult to maneuver curtains and pulley blinds.

Overall, now that you're read my review (thank you for doing so) - I suppose I'd recommend this hotel if you can get a deal and if you don't sweat the small stuff. The location is fantastic and if you can avoid the bouncer-like attitudes, pricey drinks and parking, you can have quite a pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Reviewed September 13, 2010

I want to have a drink at the bar upstairs and the 'roof top' manager says I can't go and have to go back to my room. Apparently they reached capacity and if you are a guest, you have to go downstairs to the lobby and make a line to go up again and have a drink like any regular Joe. In the meantime, the bouncers are letting the 'hot girls' (who are clearing walking out from the street and are not guests) to cross the velvet rope and go upstairs to the roof. This is like a prision and want to get out of here!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank ernest155019
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 7, 2010

I usually stay at the Starwood Ws or very modern type hotels so I was looking forward to the Thompson. I had seen an article about Toronto in the NYTimes and there was a great photo of the hotel's rooftop pool plus information on how the neighborhood was kind of like the Meatpacking district, old stuff and new stuff..which I really like.
The hotel is super new and clean. The staff was very helpful and went above my experience with other hotels. On my first night, one of the hotel clerks, Stephanie, sent room service with chocolate covered cherries with shaved white chocolate plus hot tea and to top that off a very nice note saying that she hoped I recovered from my travel day. (it was a very long day!). How sweet was that? I immediately felt better and the cherries were amazing.
The only problem I had was resolved very quickly. My room was right next to an elevator so when I was trying to sleep I kept being awaken by people getting on and off the elevator. (everyone sounded really happy but really loud) Around 2am I was upgraded to another room and slept great. The Kings suite has a large bathroom, with tub and shower, plus a small living room and bedroom. The beds are really comfy.
I only tried one restaurant in the hotel but it was perfect, The Counter, great comfort food and if you pick right, it seems healthy. Room Service was very fast too.
Also, there is great shopping near by on Queen St. It reminded me a little bit of Haight Ashbury. There is also a great hot yoga studio half a block away.
My room was only $149.00 a night and I have paid $400 or above for the equivalent. This was such a deal! perfection.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank daleeper
Reviewed September 7, 2010

My husband and I recently celebrated our 15th anniversary and wanted to do something special. We decided to stay in our city, Toronto and spend the night at a hotel. We stayed at the Thompson Toronto, and I can't wait to go back. The service was impeccable: from the bellman who held my bags while I checked in to the girl at the tuck shop who helped me pick out gifts for my children on my way out. The room was, in a word opulant. We had a King suite which was immaculate and luxurious. We had one of the most memorable dinners I've ever had at Scarpetta. The pasta was homemade and delicious, and the dessert - chocolate cake was gooey and delicious. , Drinks on the rooftop was an experience I will not soon forget. I ordered breakfast from room service in the morning the service was speedy, and the eggs benedict incredible. I topped my stay off with lunch at the counter which, like all my meals at the Thompson was excellent - I had the grilled veggie sandwich. As to the location - it was convenient, but I really didn't explore the King West area because everything I needed was in the hotel!

I can't wait until my birthday so I can have an excuse to stay at the Thompson again!
Check it out!

3 Thank epicurean42
Reviewed September 7, 2010

This hotel is beautiful from top to bottem. The staff were very helpful and friendly. We especially enjoyed the roof top patio bar! It's close to amenities and in a good location.

2 Thank Vanessa095
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 6, 2010

I'd love this place if I wanted to party all night, I really would. The rooms are clean and contemporary, the bar's nice, the restaurant is good and the staff is friendly and helpful. However, with doors slamming and guests yelling in the hallways, I needed the assistance of pharmacologicals and ear plugs in order to fall asleep. It didn't matter that I changed rooms, there were noise issues on both floors that I stayed on.

If the potential for noise doesn't bother you, go for it. I think you'll enjoy your stay. The hotel itself is nice, the surrounding neighbourhood has a ton of interesting shops, restaurants and bars, so there's plenty to do.

My only other comments, for what it's worth, there appears to be a little wear and tear in the hallways. Also, the hotel may want to consider adjusting the door closers. That may help eliminate some of the noise associated with pulling the doors shut. Other than that, the property is maintained nicely and has some cool design elements. If I could have gotten a good night sleep, I'd be able to rate the hotel higher from a value standpoint.

Special thanks to hotel associates Martina, Shanna and James. You guys are great, I appreciate your help with the issues that I had.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2010

We spent the July long weekend at the Thompson as part of a staycation here in Toronto. Overall we had a really good stay, but as has been mentioned here several times, they were pretty obviously working through some opening jitters.

We have a description of the whole experience with photos at our blog:

We found the staff 100% friendly & courteous- never a hint of condescension.

The premises are quite stunning. We were very lucky to be upgraded to a suite & it was beautiful; it felt like an actual apartment. Two points worth noting, however: in the bathroom, the shower (large & comfortable) had a full width, full height glass window looking right into the bedroom. For any couples where there are modesty issues, this could be a problem. The biggest concern for us was that when using the facilities at night the light flooded the bedroom. Second point: the kitchen, which was full of modern cabinets, a full size refrigerator, and had a nearby dining table, came equipped with 2 wine glasses & a corkscrew and 2 drinking glasses. That was it. Not a spoon, not a little plate. We though this was a big negative strike. Sure, they want you to use room service, but it's a suite for goodness' sake. It just seemed stingy. Aside from these things we found the quality of the room to be exceptional.

The main dining room wasn't open yet when we were there but we ate in the coffee shop, which was quite good.

The rooftop lounge & pool are the hotel's big drawing card, at least in this first summer season. The area is cool & sexy, but suffers from its popularity. During the hot weekend afternoons the pool deck was very crowded & we're led to believe that this is in part because condo owners in the building have access. We managed to snag a couple of chairs & a table & had a nice afternoon but it was a twenty-something party atmosphere, which may put some off. We returned both evenings and had a blast. Great music, good drinks, again very friendly service despite the cool factor, very attractive crowd and a stunning skyline view!

Our only reason for grading the cleanliness a little low was that there were still a few construction deficiencies. We had baggies over our smoke alarms to keep the drywall dust out, there were a few paint daubs where they shouldn't be and a carpet tile outside our door had a big stain on it. Housekeeping cleanliness was first rate, though. In fact we had twice daily maid service.

All in all, we really enjoyed our stay at the Thompson and would recommend it to others. We look forward to trying the now-open Scarpetta, the hotel's main dining room, at some point soon. And it will be fun to return again for another weekend stay, maybe in the middle of winter for a completely different vibe, to see how things have progressed.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple