“Nice hotel, great neighbourhood”

Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel
Ranked #19 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed March 31, 2014

First the pluses. Great attentive service - I inadvertently left the DND signal on so my room wasn't made up, within a minute of phoning housekeeping they were up with fresh towels and offered to completely do the room, even though it was my error. Nice room, spacious; trendy, which can be less than practical (wide, shallow sinks bug me, but they look nice). Minor housekeeping flaw in that shower had a couple of stray hairs. On the other hand, floors are laminate or wood, so much cleaner than carpet.

Rooftop bar has a great view but no draught beer and limited beer selection; lobby bar is trendy looking and lively, has at least one decent draught (Creemore). Doormen and front desk people were very friendly, as were bar staff. Actually really like the atmosphere overall.

Although the hotel is hopping and the neighbourhood is all the rage, the street it is on is actually nice and quiet. And if you want a quiet experience, there are two bistro bars on Wellington to avoid the raucous atmosphere of King.

Didn't try the restaurant - I like vegan food and the neighbourhood has lots of options. Also has the Bier Markt with a spectacular beer selection. The menu looked good enough at the diner, with a couple of veggie alternatives, albeit there is a real diner a couple of blocks away with more vegan options and low prices.

Pet Peeves - wifi in room is $15.00 a day!! Ridiculous. Free and reliable in lobby, free but didn't work in rooftop bar. Because of the 24 hour diner I presume, no coffee maker in room. Sometimes I want a morning coffee in bed without having to either pay through the nose for room service or get up and go out. I schlepped over to McDonalds to pay $1.50 instead of $8.00 in the diner or who knows what for room service.

Really though, if you just avoid paying for wifi, parking and coffee the place is really good and I would recommend it. I got a really good deal by bidding on Priceline, so try your luck.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Dear Suzuki267,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We always appreciate hearing from our guests. For your future bookings we do offer state of the art espresso machines in our suites as well as complementary coffee in our Lobby from 6am to 9am.
We would love to have an opportunity to welcome you back with us very soon.

Best Regards,

Director of Rooms

Write a ReviewReviews (1,617)

Reviewed March 24, 2014

My wife and I decided to have a night out and we chose the Thompson in Toronto. Parking is confusing if not using valet. We found the staff very quick with us, not friendly, many of them playing with their phones. Our room looked very nice at first, but we found approx. 4-5 bobby pins on the floor and a dirty shower. Our view was the absolute worse, 3rd floor facing what looked like the ghetto. Wi-Fi was $15.00 for 24 hrs which is insane! Could have gone to a cheaper hotel and got it for free. Snacks and drinks in our room were at a crazy cost...$7.00 for a bottle of water! Bad air pressure in the hallway, every time someone opened or closed their door our door would make a noise like someone was coming in. Music from lobby bar thumbing till at least 2am. Then drunks yelling and slamming doors till almost 4am. Went to the diner, was seated quickly but then forgotten for almost 20min. On our check out, staff didn't ask how we liked our stay, just took room key and said bye. We thought this was a 4 or 5 star hotel...guess not...

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Joe D

Dear Joe D,

Thank you for sharing with us. I am disappointed to hear about your experience with us, we would appreciate an opportunity to speak with you directly to address your concerns so that we can look into the events that transpired during your stay. Rest assured that this is certainly not the level of service and product that we pride ourselves upon.

Looking forward to speaking with you,

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Convenient location, excellent rooms, comfortable, clean and very service oriented. Parking, if not using valet, is awkward and diner staff needs to pay more attention after dropping off the meals.

Valet parking is actually cheaper and quite convenient but you may need to circle the block due to one way streets. In heavy traffic and bad weather that's not a great option as the parking entrance is actually quite easy to spot when you arrive.

Their diner is good for casual meals and food is good. It's open 24h so very convenient, but staff seemed to be more interested in their own discussions than in watching customers. Had to flag them down after long waits to get the bill each time.

Key cards system wasn't working well during this last stay but that, I am told, is fixed.

Follow up on my comments made on the hotel's own feedback survey was excellent and very personal to the situations I described. I commend the hotel for this attention to detail and caring about the customer experience. I will be back!

Room Tip: Rooms on west side of building might be a bit noisy if windows are opened. Others are fine. East and...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Dear execjim,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We always appreciate hearing from our guests, I am glad that you appreciated the connection with you, and action we took to address your concerns after receiving your comments.

I am delighted that you will be returning, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Thompson Toronto Hotel very soon!

Reviewed March 13, 2014

This is not my first trip to Thompson-Toronto and it will most certainly not be my last.

Whenever I consider potential accommodations for my travel, especially when making return arrangements to a hotel, ambience, value and location are among the desired features, but the true determining factor is the degree of high quality and proficient customer service from the facility's front-line staff. It's not easily found these days in many accommodations. However, this establishment couldn't rank HIGHer in my opinion in that category. From the moment Albert, the doorman, greets you at the front entrance to the warm and courteous reception at the front desk, you are put at ease knowing that your time spent away from home is in excellent and capable hands and will be a superb experience. Even prior to arrival and throughout our most recent stay, Paula, the Chief Concierge, went beyond the call of duty in assisting my nephews and I with a myriad of service requests and tickets, for which we are very grateful.

True, you recognize especially in this particular industry, this is a person's assigned responsibility to be service-oriented towards their guests, but the professionalism and dedication with which the Thompson hotel staff conducts itself richly earns my repeat business.

Top Notch Experience from a Top Notch Team! Already looking forward to my next trip to Thompson!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank JSH11317

Dear JSH11317,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Thompson Toronto Hotel.

I am very pleased to hear that your service experience was exceptional. We are very proud of the genuine care and attention that our associates provide to our guests to ensure they enjoy a comfortable and enjoyable stay with us.

Thank you once again for sharing with us, I know the team is looking forward to having an opportunity to welcome you back to the Thompson Toronto on your next visit.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

The Thompson Toronto is "cool" hotel, the dim lighting, perfumed air, and contemporary tones of the foyer tell you what to expect as soon as you check in.

My room was excellent - very clean, well appointed, and with a great view. The underfloor heating in the bathroom was a first for me, and I really liked it.

I found the staff nothing but helpful and friendly. The hotel endured a problem with the key cards when I was there and while it was a hassle, they calmly assisted everyone impacted in a professional way that kept things in check. The internet outage was even more annoying, but I figured it as gear failure and not the hotels fault - it was fixed after a few hours, but as luck would have it, it failed about an hour before my updated presentation was to be emailed to me so I didn't get to proof it until the morning.

Food from the attached Diner was OK, but only OK. There are so many great choices on adjacent King street that you really don't need to dine in - Toronto has some excellent food choices, many within easy walking distance of the hotel.

Getting into the CBD proper is an easy 10-15 minute walk down Wellington Street, all flat and the cities grid system of streets makes navigation for visitors like me easy.

Downside? Well there's a nightclub on-site, and the noise as people exited and spilled onto the road around 2am woke me up, Seriously annoying, and very loud as dozens of drink idiots shouted, sung, and fought on the streets below. I pity the residents in the area, if this is a regular thing then I'd be pretty pissed. I had important business meetings the next day and didn't appreciate the interrupted sleep.

Apart from that, this is a pretty good hotel and there's a lot to like about it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the noise - if that's possibe
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2014

Dear JayE,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed the amenities of your guest room and appreciated our warm and friendly staff.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience that the internet outage caused during your stay with us. We are working hard to address your areas of concern and hope to welcome you back soon to show you the progress we have made.

Director of rooms

Reviewed March 1, 2014

This hotel is honestly targeted for what I would consider 'wannabes'. It’s a really pathetic attempt at being some Hollywood A-lister club/hotel but instead you get this cheesy stench of perfume hit you like a ton of bricks as soon as you enter the dungeon dark lobby, filled with a bunch of pretentious, insecure twenty somethings.

On the upside, they do have very nice, ultra-modern, average-sized rooms equipped with a good mini-bar. That being said, my toilet got clogged after 1 flush and oddly enough, there’s no shower door allowing water to pour out of the shower continuously onto the adjacent floor making it slippery and dangerous! GREAT design there...

Furthermore it is VERY loud…NOT business or family friendly AT ALL…And if like me, you’re going for work-related purposes then good luck with getting any work done or sleeping soundly for that matter… So in between the noise down below because of their hotel club, it’s naturally loud on the streets as well as you’re understandably in the heart of downtown…

Basically I was woken up a few times both nights I stayed…I didn’t really complain about this as I didn’t feel there was truly anything that would/could be done over it….I'm generally a pretty nice, generous, low-maintenance guest...Anyhow, So I was naturally exhausted and tried to sleep in to overcompensate on my second and final night there… I then asked if I could check out at 1pm so I didn’t have to rush like a crazy person because I had slept in later than anticipated because of the earlier usual nightly ruckus and so I explained this to the 'Assistant Manager'… he was rather unempathetic, rude and downright adamant that I had to be out by the strike of 12 even after I explained to him how sleep-deprived I was because of all of the noise the night previous…He said he had a HUGE party of people coming in at 3pm and I had to leave at EXACTLY 12…I then told him they’re a fairly new hotel in Toronto and should care about customer satisfaction and client retention as I am actually in media and have a strong voice in the Toronto High end community to which he replied “ya thanks for the advice” in a rather rude tone…He even wanted to charge me $150 extra to get a checkout of 2pm which naturally I thought was rather ridiculous,…

When I tried to talk to his superior it was brought to my attention that the managers don’t work over the weekend …I think certain people need to be reminded that they’re in the ‘HOSPITALITY’ business…But either way, I strongly suggest you don’t give this establishment your support and business as there are far better, far more customer service-oriented hotels (I travel enough) who are more than happy to keep you content. Good riddance, Thompson!

Room Tip: the higher up, the less noise you hear...
7  Thank Sheila M
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear Sheila M,

Thank you for sharing with us. Please accept my sincerest apologies that we were not able to accommodate your late checkout request. I am sorry that you felt that this reflected poorly on our service. Unfortunately we are not always able to accommodate last minute requests for late departure as we do guarantee our guests a check in of 3 PM.

We pride ourselves on the care and personal service which we provide to our guests, I regret that you did not experience this on your visit.

In future please connect with us directly as we often have special packages which include a complementary late departure.

Best Regards,

Reviewed March 1, 2014

I booked a room at the Thompson because it was close to an event that my university was throwing. I was unsure of what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised! The man (I forgot his name) at the front desk last night called a cab for my significant other and I as we waited in the lounge area. He was such a gentleman. He held doors open for us, and even opened the taxi cab door. The hotel itself is very trendy and modern in appearance. It's well kept and clean. Even the cleaning staff offer a hello in the morning, which is nice. When we got back from the event we attended late at night, it looked like there was a good party going on in the hotel, but we were too tired at that point and retired for the evening. It looks like there's always something fun to do at the Thompson!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bebopbopper

Dear bebopbopper,

Thank you for sharing with us! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and experienced the hospitality of our warm and compassionate team.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Sincerely ,