“Fashionable hotel in handy location, with great staff”

Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel
Ranked #23 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Sydney, Australia
“Fashionable hotel in handy location, with great staff”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

The Thompson Toronto is "cool" hotel, the dim lighting, perfumed air, and contemporary tones of the foyer tell you what to expect as soon as you check in.

My room was excellent - very clean, well appointed, and with a great view. The underfloor heating in the bathroom was a first for me, and I really liked it.

I found the staff nothing but helpful and friendly. The hotel endured a problem with the key cards when I was there and while it was a hassle, they calmly assisted everyone impacted in a professional way that kept things in check. The internet outage was even more annoying, but I figured it as gear failure and not the hotels fault - it was fixed after a few hours, but as luck would have it, it failed about an hour before my updated presentation was to be emailed to me so I didn't get to proof it until the morning.

Food from the attached Diner was OK, but only OK. There are so many great choices on adjacent King street that you really don't need to dine in - Toronto has some excellent food choices, many within easy walking distance of the hotel.

Getting into the CBD proper is an easy 10-15 minute walk down Wellington Street, all flat and the cities grid system of streets makes navigation for visitors like me easy.

Downside? Well there's a nightclub on-site, and the noise as people exited and spilled onto the road around 2am woke me up, Seriously annoying, and very loud as dozens of drink idiots shouted, sung, and fought on the streets below. I pity the residents in the area, if this is a regular thing then I'd be pretty pissed. I had important business meetings the next day and didn't appreciate the interrupted sleep.

Apart from that, this is a pretty good hotel and there's a lot to like about it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the noise - if that's possibe
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Dear JayE,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed the amenities of your guest room and appreciated our warm and friendly staff.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience that the internet outage caused during your stay with us. We are working hard to address your areas of concern and hope to welcome you back soon to show you the progress we have made.

Director of rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 1, 2014

This hotel is honestly targeted for what I would consider 'wannabes'. It’s a really pathetic attempt at being some Hollywood A-lister club/hotel but instead you get this cheesy stench of perfume hit you like a ton of bricks as soon as you enter the dungeon dark lobby, filled with a bunch of pretentious, insecure twenty somethings.

On the upside, they do have very nice, ultra-modern, average-sized rooms equipped with a good mini-bar. That being said, my toilet got clogged after 1 flush and oddly enough, there’s no shower door allowing water to pour out of the shower continuously onto the adjacent floor making it slippery and dangerous! GREAT design there...

Furthermore it is VERY loud…NOT business or family friendly AT ALL…And if like me, you’re going for work-related purposes then good luck with getting any work done or sleeping soundly for that matter… So in between the noise down below because of their hotel club, it’s naturally loud on the streets as well as you’re understandably in the heart of downtown…

Basically I was woken up a few times both nights I stayed…I didn’t really complain about this as I didn’t feel there was truly anything that would/could be done over it….I'm generally a pretty nice, generous, low-maintenance guest...Anyhow, So I was naturally exhausted and tried to sleep in to overcompensate on my second and final night there… I then asked if I could check out at 1pm so I didn’t have to rush like a crazy person because I had slept in later than anticipated because of the earlier usual nightly ruckus and so I explained this to the 'Assistant Manager'… he was rather unempathetic, rude and downright adamant that I had to be out by the strike of 12 even after I explained to him how sleep-deprived I was because of all of the noise the night previous…He said he had a HUGE party of people coming in at 3pm and I had to leave at EXACTLY 12…I then told him they’re a fairly new hotel in Toronto and should care about customer satisfaction and client retention as I am actually in media and have a strong voice in the Toronto High end community to which he replied “ya thanks for the advice” in a rather rude tone…He even wanted to charge me $150 extra to get a checkout of 2pm which naturally I thought was rather ridiculous,…

When I tried to talk to his superior it was brought to my attention that the managers don’t work over the weekend …I think certain people need to be reminded that they’re in the ‘HOSPITALITY’ business…But either way, I strongly suggest you don’t give this establishment your support and business as there are far better, far more customer service-oriented hotels (I travel enough) who are more than happy to keep you content. Good riddance, Thompson!

Room Tip: the higher up, the less noise you hear...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
7 Thank Sheila M
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Sheila M,

Thank you for sharing with us. Please accept my sincerest apologies that we were not able to accommodate your late checkout request. I am sorry that you felt that this reflected poorly on our service. Unfortunately we are not always able to accommodate last minute requests for late departure as we do guarantee our guests a check in of 3 PM.

We pride ourselves on the care and personal service which we provide to our guests, I regret that you did not experience this on your visit.

In future please connect with us directly as we often have special packages which include a complementary late departure.

Best Regards,

Reviewed March 1, 2014

I booked a room at the Thompson because it was close to an event that my university was throwing. I was unsure of what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised! The man (I forgot his name) at the front desk last night called a cab for my significant other and I as we waited in the lounge area. He was such a gentleman. He held doors open for us, and even opened the taxi cab door. The hotel itself is very trendy and modern in appearance. It's well kept and clean. Even the cleaning staff offer a hello in the morning, which is nice. When we got back from the event we attended late at night, it looked like there was a good party going on in the hotel, but we were too tired at that point and retired for the evening. It looks like there's always something fun to do at the Thompson!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bebopbopper
Dear bebopbopper,

Thank you for sharing with us! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and experienced the hospitality of our warm and compassionate team.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Sincerely ,

hong kong
Reviewed February 18, 2014

located in the fashion district, wellington street, its location has impressed me the most with easy access to nearly good restaurants ...
the overall experience was good from the size of the room, design, & service ...
my favorite is their 24-hour deli ...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ilovetravel-2010
Dear ilovetravel-2010,

Thank you for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and had an opportunity to appreciate the many amenities which we are pleased offer our guests.

We hope to welcoming you back to the Thompson Toronto again soon!

Best,

Thunder Bay
Reviewed February 17, 2014

The property, rooms, restaurants and public spaces are nice. Service horrible and noisy from both within and the street. For my business purposes, the location of the hotel was not good. I could have stayed closer to where I was working so I can't hold that against the hotel.

On the first night, there was a steady stream of visitors to a room a couple of doors down on the floor that I stayed on. Phoned down at 3 am and 4 am and then gave up. Mentioned it the next morning again, and was told that the Manager on Duty had visited. Then, most mornings around 6:30-7:00 am there was Hotel staff that would walk down the hall talking and laughing. Seems to me that this should be part of the staff training. Did mention it to the front desk as well. One last service issue involved the doorman. On my way to the airport, he offered to negotiate a lower flat rate to the airport for me. In doing so, he saved me $5 and I gave him the $5 as a tip. The cabbie indicated to me that he had given the doorman $5 as part of some side deal. The cabbie had a role of bills out when I entered the cab, so it seemed reasonable that he did give the doorman the $5. The cabbie turned on the meter when we got going, which I thought was strange for a flat fare. The kicker was that the meter showed less than the flat fare that was negotiated by the doorman for me when I arrived at the airport. I know that everyone has to make a living, but...

Room Tip: Stay on the side facing Wellington Ave.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank ThunderBayRob
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear ThunderBayRob,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us. We always appreciate hearing from our guests. We strive to provide our all our guests with the warm and genuine service which Thompson hotels are known for, it is clear that we have fallen short in this regard and for this I would like to offer my sincerest apologies. We take your comments very seriously and have addressed the concerns which you mentioned in your review.

Please note that we have a car service which we strongly suggest our guests take advantage of when traveling to Pearson International; this flat fee includes tax’s and driver gratuity and can even be charged directly to your guest room.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed February 11, 2014

Let me start off by saying that I want to really like the Thompson Toronto. I love the area it's in (I used to live next door) and for the past several years, it's been my hotel of choice for a quick last minute booking for a night out in the city.

My last two experiences have been horrendous.

On one occasion, THEIR credit card machine was not working on two cards I tried. For some reason their interac was working. I'm someone who doesn't keep ample amounts of cash in my bank, so I had to sit in the lobby and transfer funds so that I could pay for my room. While a slight delay, these things happen. Knowing my booking history, I would've expected the staff to be more empathetic and come up with a better solution than "there's an ATM over there". Where this issue became exaggerated was when I ordered late-night room service. The food came quick as usual, only the delivery person was asking for cash. Yes - CASH! I did not have cash, nor was I about to go get cash. He became argumentative and I told him I was closing the door. I of course paid for the food upon check-out, but the lack of service quality was concerning.

This past weekend, I did a walk-in. I did a quick scan on Hotel Tonight and Booking.com prior to walking in, but figured i might as well let them offer me the same deal. Turns out their first and "best" offer was $40 more. Fine - I'll book on HT as I could care less if they want less of the profit! Literally 30 secs later I was done, only the one-person counter staff decided to take the phone and complete a 7-8 min phone reservation while I stood there with a HT confirmation on my phone. Later that night, I was twice intercepted by security while going back and forth from my room to the lobby bar. Both times the security man was less than approachable and made me feel like I was some delinquent trying to sneak in rather than a valuable customer.

Two poor experiences, entirely at the fault of under-trained personnel. I hope Thompson Toronto gets its act together or my money will move to the real 4-5 star hotels that Toronto now offers.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank NeilBhaps
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear NeilBhaps,

Thank you for sharing with us. Please accept my apologies; I can understand that this experience must have been frustrating for you.

I hope you can understand that we do require a guarantee of payment in order to provide you access to your room and the amenities of the Hotel. I am sorry that you felt that this experience reflected poorly on our level of service and the training of our staff.

In future if you have any questions or would like to discuss restrictions or reservation details please do not hesitate to connect with one of our managers prior to booking.

Best,

Reviewed February 4, 2014

I had been assigned this hotel through the no name Priceline Name Your Own Price. I initially was a bit disappointed that the location was not in central downtown Toronto but a good walk or taxi/public transit distance away. The hotel seems out of the way but upon entering was greeted by extremely friendly and gracious front desk staff. I had forgotten my toothbrush and the attractive young lady produced one quickly. The room was very well appointed although I was a bit surprised there was no coffee maker. The bed and TV were above average and there were unique features. There was a well stocked minbar and snacks etc but as prices were high I just used some cashews. The gym was one of the best I have ever seen in a hotel. As I did not have a laptop with me the young lady at the front desk alllowed me use of a laptop to check my e-mails. I did not use the restaurants bars as they were expensive so I simply walked a short distance away. I was extremely impressed with security as they immediately came when some people were making noise in the hallway. All front desk staff was very friendly I wish I remembered their names. I recall 2 French speaking girls, a stunningly beautiful afghani girl, 1 filipino guy and another girl with dark hair and a lovely smile who appeared to be a manager (I commented on her watch) I would definately stay here again at the right price

Room Tip: My room was fine but as a rule try to ask for a room away from large groups of people elevators etc
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Odessafile75
Dear Odessafile75,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us. Please note, for your next visit, we do offer complementary coffee in the Lobby from 6am to 9am.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to your next visit!

Sincerlely,