“No in-room coffee/tea facilities? Noisy reception area.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel

Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel
Ranked #17 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Belfast & Toronto
“No in-room coffee/tea facilities? Noisy reception area.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Bedrooms beautifully styled etc. However, so much for a relaxing morning enjoying a coffee while lounging / watching TV / reading papers - one has to go downstairs to the diner. Seriously? At a, albeit discounted rate of over $200 for a night? A 4* hotel with no in-room tea/coffee. Crazy!

Also, reception can get noisy in the evening - not a major issue while standing there in person, but when I telephoned ahead of time to get parking information and, later from in-room requesting ice, it was a challenge to hear the receptionist.

Indeed, reception doesn't feel like a traditional, what one comes to expect experience, at any 3* and up establishment.

I've been more impressed with stays at various Holiday Inn's and it's ilk, world wide.

Room Tip: Higher units to avoid noise from club. Bring own thermos for coffee & tea :-)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Monrush
SayeKokeh, General Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Monrush,

Thank you for your feedback. We are always pleased to hear from our guests. I do apologize that we did not meet your expectations. The Thompson Diner is open 24 hours and we are pleased to offer our guests drip coffee’s and well as espresso based coffee through our 24 hour room service.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Warmest Regards,
Thompson Toronto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Trondheim, Norway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

The Thomson hotel is a very cool and fancy hotell. A chic lobby, three chill restaurants including a 24 hour diner and a skybar with a pool on top of the building. BUT if you are not that cool yourself, you might get intimidated. If you arrive late you have to make your way through the bar that seems to be a hangout for perfect post teens only rivaled by the female receptionists of the same age and exterior. The music is LOUD and you feel like you are in a disco.

The rooms are noisy too. You hear anything that goes on in the hallway, there are pretty much trafikk on the north side of the building and the aircon is annoying. It's not just the constant buss, it's a metallic resconating sound coming from it. It's also way too cool and there is no way to turn it up or off.

The location of the hotel is ok. It is close to the hip or charming boutiqies on Queen street west, but it is a very long walk to Eaton Mall and a good walk to the tower. The king size bedrooms are not the biggest I have seen, but is more than enough and whas a very fancy restroom. But what is really annoying, is that the hotel charges you 15 dollars a day for internet and double if you connect more than two devices. So they will easily rob you out of 60 dollars for one weekend. Hasn't the chicy hotel Thompson realised that we are livlig in a decade where the access to internet is as essential as having access to water and electricity? They stoppes charging extra for that in the early nineteen hundreds and it will be an automatic two point deduction to the hotels that don't get this. And there is another point gone because of the noise.

Families and business people passed 30 should probably find another hotel. People in their early twenties would love this place if they don't like to sleep or use the net.

• Stayed October 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SayeKokeh, General Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Antstro,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the views and décor at The Thompson Hotel. We usually recommend that our guests stroll along the nearby trendy Queen Street West for local shopping. In this area you not only are you able to enjoy the smaller boutique shops but also many of the mainstream stores that can be found in the Eaton Center.

We do offer a lap top conveniently located on our front desk for complimentary Internet Access. Our front desk agents are also available to print any documents such as boarding passes or itineraries for your convenience.

I thank you for your review and encourage you to connect with me directly for your next reservation so we may address some of the specific issues that you experienced on this stay.

Warm Regards,

Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

This is a really nice very cool hotel in a hip area. Very modern, big bright rooms with lovely beds and clean modern bathrooms. Very good gym and a nice rooftop bar area with pool. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank CarreeBee
Dear CarreeBee,

I am so glad that you were able to enjoy your stay here, and delighted that you enjoyed our bright clean lined Hotel rooms and bar. Hope to see you again soon!
Looking forward to serving you in the future,

Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Loved the vibe of the Hotel,as well as, the Bohemian style neighborhood where it was located. Nothing but fantastic restaurants and bars within walking distance. We were treated very warmly while we were there. Loved the Lobby Lounge, 24 hr. Diner and Wabora. Did not have a chance to dine at Scarpetta but the menu was enticing. The ambience was warm, inviting and modern throughout the hotel. The gorgeous rooftop edgeless pool has a commanding view of the city. Met some wonderful folks up there. Have to say that the Hotel houses one of the plushest appointed 24 hr. Diner's I've ever been in. And, Jeff at the Lobby Bar was as accommodating as possible. I told him I enjoyed grapefruit flavored vodka cocktail and he created one on the spot. Love a bartender that can improvise. Concierge and front desk personal could not have been more helpful. Overall, a wonderful experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mary S,

Thank you for your feedback and kind words. So delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

We were prepared to be bowled over by this hotel from all the commentary we'd heard or read. Now I understand why most of the praise is about the rooftop bar - the view is quite special. That did not howeve, translate to great guest service in the hotel. They seem understaffed and do not service their rooms like the 5 star property I was led to believe it was. I had to call to get the room serviced in the evening, and their room service may be the worst I've encountered in a number of years. Cold when it should have been hot, nothing sent along to compliment the meal - not even a glass of water. The hotel feels like a chain, not like an individual boutique hotel one is led to expect; and a not very well run chain at that. Sad, because I think they have plenty of potential. My next trip won't be there, rather, the Park Hyatt or new Shangri-La; similar pricing, vastly different guest experience.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Edwardaberg,

Thank you for your feedback. I do apologize that the service you received was not up to our standard. I will speak to our Director or Food and Beverage and see that the issues you raise are our first priority.

I hope that you will return soon to enjoy the service which we pride ourselves upon,

Kind Regards,

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed at the Thompson during Toronto International Film Festival while running the Bungalow 8 pop-up rooftop parties. Toronto during TIFF is extremely busy and this hotel has the advantage of being central without being on the busiest streets making it easy to get to and from but peaceful enough to enjoy your stay. The rooms are modern and clean but still welcoming and the beds are phenomenally comfortable - honestly, I love a good bed.

The best things about this hotel are definitely the staff - every one of them is polite, friendly and charming looking if not straight up hot - and the views from the rooftop bar/pool. The food in Scarpetta is also a highlight but so is the truffled mac & cheese you can order from the 24 hour diner after a long night of rooftop revelry.

Whether with friends, as a family or a couple, this hotel has a lot to offer both in the hotel and in Toronto town centre.

Room Tip: High up and facing the city are the best.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Federica A
Dear Federica A,

Thank you very much for your review! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay here at Thompson Toronto. Hope to see you again on your next visit!

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

I visited Thompson Hotels Toronto 1812 night club, on August 18th 2012, to celebrate my birthday. Unfortunately, the night ended with disappointment.

When my group arrived at the front of the hotel, there was a line up. We had difficulty understanding how the line up worked and I did hear other people in the line being very confused too. We figured there was no more space at the roof top lounge at which I originally planed to have the party. At this point, I wanted to take the option of the hotel’s downstairs club; however, even for the club, I wasn’t sure what the rule was to get in. I spoke to one of the bouncers that I was there to celebrate my birthday. A guy named Brad told us that he would get us in the club if we get a bottle service and spend $500. Although, I knew that the bottle service starts at around $280, we took the deal so we could just enjoy our night. Even though we felt that it was a rip-off, we went downstairs and enjoyed each others company.

After an hour or so, we noticed that people were putting their purses and empty glasses on our table and seats. I told the waitress that my friends and I would like to keep the area more private. The waitress politely told this lady to remove her belongings. However, later on, I saw the same lady kept putting things again on our table including squeezed limes and other garbage. I spoke to her directly this time to keep her belongings out of my area. She got upset and started to say things like how she or her friend owns the club. I told her that I did not care, because we had paid for the spot for the night. She goes over to her group on the dance floor and suddenly one guy from the group came up to me. He told me that he was the owner and said that he could not understand why I was behaving the way I did because it was just an empty glass. I told him that it did not matter to me whether he owned the club or not. His behaviour did not make any sense to me especially if he actually was the owner. I spoke to Brad or one of the bouncers, and he told me that this guy actually is the owner. They probably assumed that I would be scared and stop complaining if I found out that he was actually the owner. I told him I’d like to speak to the manager. The manager of the bar came and said this guy (named Rob or Ron) does own the place. I told the manager that this was now more of a serious issue if this behaviour was coming from the owner.

Due to the fact that this disrespectful behaviour came from the owner of the club and his friend, it is extremely more upsetting. I am sure if the person who picked the fight with us wasn’t the owner, the manager would have kicked them out. Instead advising the owner’s friend not to put her belongings on our table, the manager was just kept telling me that he could understand my point of view but “Rob or Ron” actually is the owner, so he couldn’t do much about this situation. He wanted to offer us free shots, but I said I did not want anymore drinks. Instead of the free drinks, I told him what exactly I wanted. I said, “I feel very uncomfortable here and my original plan was to have my party at the roof top lounge, so can you please find out if there is a space for us to move upstairs.” I did not ask him to make room for me, I just asked him to find out if there was any room. However, his answer was no.

I am sure he could’ve just made a phone call or even run upstairs in person and find out if he wanted to help us. More importantly, as an owner of the club, “Rob or Ron” shouldn’t have picked a fight with us. Instead, he should’ve stopped his friend from putting her belongings on our table and apologized to us on her behalf. Lastly, I would like to point out that we shouldn’t have been obligated to spend more than the actual bottle service price. Since we did pay extra, we should have received proper a customer service which we deserved.

Anyways, I am still waiting for Thompson Hotels to get back to me on the complaint letters that me and my friend submitted. They are kept saying they will get back to us shorty, but it has been over a week now. Hope no one ruins their night or a week like I did.

For the ones who still want to know more about the club itself, here you go. Interior was nothing special, very small, people were not dressed up and music wasn't that great. They were playing a bit of Latin and than some top 40, but the mix wasn't smooth at all. I wasn't sure why they even had a dress code up on there website. But most of all, customer service and scenes of business ethic was not there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
19 Thank vyoo
SayeKokeh, General Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Vyoo,

While we thank you for sharing your experience with us, the club which you describe has no affiliation with The Thompson Hotel. 1812 is owned and operated by Unique Lifestyle. I have passed your comments on to the Management of 1812.

Kind Regards,