“Way Over-Rated”

Ranked #21 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
New Liskeard, Ontario, Canada
“Way Over-Rated”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Well...For the price...I got ripped off! Hearing about how "great" it is...I was totally disappointed! The service was slow...awful for that matter....of course they put me on a "party" floor as well, and their excuse was..."Sorry, we attract these types of people"...Ha! That was my response I had gotten!! The Quality Inn has way more class and much better service!!! I give this hotel a 1 out of 5. And only giving it a 1 due to the fact that my bathroom had heated floors...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
SayeKokeh, General Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Alison W,

I am sorry that your last visit at Thompson Toronto did not meet your expectations. Our bars within the hotel do tend to get quite busy and we may experience a higher noise level on the weekends; however, this should never get in the way of our guests’ comfort. I apologize that you did experience noise issues during your stay. We do try our best to have security minimize noise late at night especially in our rooms. Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to make a reservation in the future and I will work with you to find a room that will be more suitable for your stay.

Warmest regards,

Thompson Toronto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We didnt stay at the hotel but we did go to the basement bar 1812. Where do I start? Lets start at the door. After the 2 morons with clip boards checked our I.D we told them we were on guest list for an engagement party. Before they even let us in they eyed us up and down and then made us wait while they let in 6 randoms before us. Walked downstairs the an empty club (at 11pm on saturday) with horrible music. After getting to our table the waitress was asking our guests if they wanted to put something out our tab..we ordered 6 bottles..there wasnt any agreement to tab or any need for more drinks. after going outside for a smoke one moron let us in and then the other 2 morons refused to let us back into the club because it was after last call. Excuse me? I was embarrased and so were the people in our group, after spending ALOT of money we were treated very rudely. We should have gone to one of the other million clubs in the area and spent our money there. Never again.

3 Thank brigitta5420
Dear brigitta5420,

Thank you for your comments. I will be sure to pass this off to the management at 1812.

Los Angeles
Reviewed August 2, 2012

The lobby is super cool, just don't arrive too thirsty because they pour their drinks here to some kind of technical minimum.
The rooftop bar is most pleasing, although again, they pour their drinks according to some weird miserly ethos.

Room Tip: An eastern facing room garners the best city views.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
SayeKokeh, General Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Marcmcman,

Thank you for your feedback. We have standard measures and consistent recipes for all beverages served at the hotel. I have discussed your concerns with our Director of Food & Beverage and your feedback will be taken into account when revising the seasonal beverage menus.

We hope you’ll join us again soon,

Kind Regards,

North York
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Rooms- Cold, dark, very unwelcoming.

Beds- Not bad, probably my only positive from my stay

Food- room service was slow and food was cold when it arrived. It took another 30 minutes for the re-order to arrive. For a Thompson I would have expected higher quality ingredients. Was very amateur food.

Service- Pretentious, Pompous and Poor. Employees don’t seem like they enjoy their job and it reflects in their inability to smile, service their guests and make us feel like guests.

Result- Stay away from the Thompson hotel Toronto. Go to Sheraton, Hilton, Trump or any other reputable brand. At least you’ll get pleasant service at these other hotels where you’re appreciated.

1 Thank Mike W
Dear Mike W,

Please know that all of our guests are very much appreciated, and you should have been shown that on arrival right through to departure. I will address the issues you experienced with our Front Office Department to ensure that all guests receive outstanding customer service, which Thompson is known for. Each room has their own temperature control settings, and I apologize that no one instructed you on how to make the room more comfortable to your liking. I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and should you wish to stay with us again please contact me directly.

All the best,

Hanau
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Overall I would give this hotel 4 out of 5 stars normally. The reason why I am giving it two stars is because both nights I had difficulty sleeping because I could hear music all night. I am a VERY light sleeper, so if you are not a VERY light sleeper I doubt this will bother you.

The base from blaring music kept me up all night. Staff seemed disinterested. No me next time.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Daniel R
SayeKokeh, General Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Daniel R,

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that the music from our bar had kept you up, that clearly is not our intentions, as we want all of our guest’s to feel fully rested during their stay with us. Should you wish to book with us again please contact me, as I would love the opportunity to provide you with a more quite room that would be more to your liking.

Best Regards,
Port Hope Ontario
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Our first stay at The Thompson: Awesome! I was worried we would stand out as we are a little older and definitely less "hip" than the majority of their guests. We loved everything about our 3 day experience: The staff, the room, super comfy bed, the location, fabulous view and the rooftop bar and pool!

• Stayed July 2012
6 Thank pastaqueen67
Dear iDilly1967,

Thanks so much for your kind comments! I hope we see you again in the near future.

Best Wishes,

Trumansburg, New York
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My husband and I were in Toronto for a concert so we wanted to stay at a hotel that was walkable to downtown as well as the Molson Amphitheatre--the Thompson Toronto was perfect! The 24/7 diner was great for breakfast, as well as the much needed after concert meal! The rooftop pool definitely got crowded but being early morning people we were able to enjoy it a bit without a crowd. Our room was very comfortable.

The room rate was a bit high, but considering the location and time of stay (peak summer) it was expected.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Dorothy V
Dear Dorothy,

I’m so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at Thompson Toronto! It is true; we are located in a great spot, convenient to everything!

Looking forward to serving you again!