“Lovely, sophisticated hotel!”

Ranked #17 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Nova Scotia
“Lovely, sophisticated hotel!”
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I just returned from my first stay at the Thompson Toronto. To clarify, I am a mom of 3 young children under the age of 6. I rarely travel alone any more, and our hotel selection process has gone from finding some of the best top of the line trendy/higher end hotels, to mostly finding ones that have a good pool for the kids to play in and/or a kids menu in their restaurant. Still having the odd night where one of our little ones will wake through the night, sleep is very important to us. Prior to arriving, I read some reviews on tripadvisor - I have to admit that after reading them, I was somewhat terrified for the stay. I will even confess that after reading the reviews of this hotel, I made a conscious decision leave the brown flannel reindeer PJs at home (haha!).

I arrived at the hotel, and before I could even step out of the taxi, I was greeted by one of the members of the hotel staff. He walked me to the front desk, and after checking in, showed me to my room. The check-in process was friendly and efficient, and the service throughout my stay was excellent.

The room itself (a deluxe king corner room on the 8th floor) was beautiful - hardwood floors (no carpet! YAY!), floor-to-ceiling windows, modern decor, beautiful marble bathroom, one of the comfiest king beds I have ever slept in...and best of all, immaculately clean. At this point it's almost instinct for us to scan a room for cleanliness as soon as we get in it for the safety of the kids - when doing the "as soon as we arrive do the under bed/dresser check", we have found everything from a stray pill that someone dropped (several different times/hotels, unfortunately), to a condom wrapper left behind (in plain view??? ugh!). This room was fantastic, and not a single moment of the "ick" factor that you sometimes get when you feel that your room hasn't been properly cleaned since the last person stayed in it.

Re: the noise complaints in some of the other reviews (which had me the most terrified - I expect to sleep when I am in a hotel!), I actually didn't find that it was any worse than any other downtown hotel I have stayed in various major cities across North America/Europe. In fact, I would say that the noise level was actually better than some of the other hotels I have stayed in, especially when you take into account the fact that there was no carpet in the room and fewer walls (since it was floor-to-ceiling windows) - in other words, less "sound dampening" materials in the room itself. I was pleasantly surprised about this. Did I hear some noise in the halls? Sure. Could I hear some of the noise coming from the streets below? Absolutely. But the hall noise wasn't any worse than any other hotel I have stayed in, and the street noise was no different than what I have heard in any hotel that has busy streets below it. Not saying what others experienced is wrong/didn't happen, but I can say that I didn't experience it at all (and I'm a fairly light sleeper). On a side note, if noise is something you have issues with, I highly recommend investing in one of those little white noise machines for when you travel (only about $20 or so) - I didn't bring it this trip (and honestly, I didn't need it), but we never travel without it when the kids are with us. Because of that machine, the kids sleep through any level of hallway/city noise (literally, anything) - all they hear is the soothing sound of the rolling waves coming out of the little noise machine.

Re: the atmosphere in the hotel, some have called it pretentious/snobby, but I would call it sophisticated - they definitely strive to appeal to the guest with discerning/higher end tastes (and market the hotel accordingly), but all of the staff were still very friendly and welcoming. I can do "uppity" if/when I have to, but it's really not my thing (reindeer flannel PJs, remember?). I came back to the hotel at about 9pm Friday night, and the bar crowd had started mingling. The bouncer tried to stop me as I was heading in, but as soon as I told him I was a guest/heading to my room, he very quickly ushered me in (with a smile - and not a "who let you in here" kind of smirk...an actual smile ;) ). The hotel definitely has a certain vibe to it, but as someone whose priority on a Friday night was getting out of my conference clothes/heels and back into some yoga pants, not to head up to the roof top bar or to "see and be seen", I wouldn't say I felt unwelcome. I probably would have felt a bit out of place if I had gone down to the lobby in said loungewear that night (the lobby is right beside one of the bars, so there are lots of patrons in their swanky bar clothes hanging around that part of the hotel on a Friday night), but that is just because I quickly appreciated the kind of experience that they market/provide for their niche/clientele.

Would I ever take my little ones to this hotel? Absolutely not - never in a million years. It's not that kind of hotel. This hotel definitely fills a certain niche, and "family friendly hotel" (in my mind) is not that niche - and that's ok! Also, if you are looking for a chain hotel type of experience, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a unique, sophisticated experience, I would recommend this hotel in heartbeat. Definitely one of the more higher end properties we have ever stayed at (and we have done everything from 2* to 6*). Just be prepared that, because of having several very popular/trendy bars on-site, the hotel does become somewhat of a "place to be seen" kind of place, especially on the weekend. And because of that, there will be bouncers and such to control who comes in (you included!) - but from a security perspective, I actually found it reassuring (ok, I admit...I also found it kind of funny!).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
11 Thank mdnrn
, General Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Dear mdnrn,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Thompson Toronto. We appreciate you highlighting the enjoyable moments during your stay and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the friendly staff, cleanliness of room, décor and sophisticated experience. Please feel free to contact me directly when you are interested in booking with us again. We look forward to welcoming back soon!

Thompson Toronto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Maroochydore, Australia
Reviewed May 5, 2012

Stayed at this property in April. Fantastic rooms, great staff very attentive, fabulous facilitates and perfect location. Had heard of Thompson Hotels and now that we have experienced them will definitely be staying with them again. Oh Breakfast in the Diner was also very good.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Greg892
Dear Greg892,
Thank you so much for taking time to write a wonderful review of our hotel. I am thrilled to pass on your kind words to our staff members and we hope to host you again for another wonderful stay.

peterborough
Reviewed May 5, 2012

What a fantastic hotel. Showed up at 6 pm, obviously late, however the front desk didn't miss a beat. Welcomed with a friendly face and a smile and a hello, fast and friendly. Were given a what's great at this hotel and what is happening here this evening, (never had that happen before at any hotel), no pressure and no hassle. Up to the room, you have to use your room card for the elevator to work by the way. Very modern hotel, and the hallways were built to absorb sound a great in ovation.

Ok the room, just fantastic, marble bathroom, king bed, ( the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on in a hotel) and for my wife, the most important part. A 46 inch LG flat screen tv.

The only reason we went there is they have signed up to priceline dot com and we paid only $80 for the room that usually rents for $250 per night, what a deal. When we pulled up the cars that were pulling up in front and behind us were porches and bentlys, a little bit of money there.

As for parking well you could pay huge for the valet or pay $21 for public parking a block away.

Unfortunately we did not have time to go to the roof top bar or gym as we had other plans to be in Toronto that evening.

Would we stay there again ..... Oh Ya.

Room Tip: Within walking distance to CN Tower and downtown as well as some great restaurants.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank atti2ud
Saye K, General Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear atti2ud,
Thank you for the detailed review and feedback regarding your past stay. I am thrilled to read that not only did you appreciate our excellent service but you enjoyed the room and amenities. We are grateful to know that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon so you can enjoy our Rooftop and Gym. Thank you!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I stayed here on business a few weeks ago, and everything was perfect! Check in was smooth and easy (I booked last minute using HotelTonight, which is now in Toronto!). Rooms are very spacious, especially the bathrooms. Cool mini bar selection as well.

A lot of cool perks at this hotel. I ate lunch at the Thompson Diner, which was delicious! Open 24 hours a day too, which means I am sure most of their business comes at 3am, so props to them for being so helpful and cheerful when I came in for breakfast.

MUST SEE: The rooftop lounge. Spectacular views of the city skyline (see my attached photo) and a great place to grab a Happy Hour drink.

9 Thank Slowco
Reviewed May 1, 2012

My stay at the Thompson was amazing, starting with the initial booking right until checkout I was impressed with the pleasant, friendly staff. Sabrina contacted me through email and replied instantly to my questions, and Asia who helped me at checkout was so sweet and made the process as quick as possible, I didnt have to wait around to leave. I was given a beautiful room right at the corner with a beautiful panoramic view overlooking the city. We had dinner at the lobby Diner and we were served very quickly and the food was delicious. I stayed at the Thompson last year for my birthday as well and was so impressed, I knew I had to stay there again this year.
I would totally recommend the Thompson to anyone looking to experience the luxeries this place has to offer. Its one of the best hotels I can honestly say Ive ever stayed at. By far the most exceptional service.

• Stayed April 2012
9 Thank RMZA
Dear RMZA,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Thompson Toronto. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the accommodations, and I will happily pass along your kind words to our dedicated staff. Sharing a special occasion with a guest is always a pleasure for our team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and wish you many more happy birthdays!

Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I travel quite often and stay at hotels of all levels. Only recently did I find The Thompson in Toronto and it has quickly become my favorite place not only for business but also as a place to escape for a night downtown. It's in a great area, offering easy access to the Gardiner, which makes getting to my meetings West of the downtown core easy, with little traffic. If you fly Porter, the Island Airport is less than a $10 cab ride.

The hotel has three totally different dining options, both restaurants are excellent with great food and service and the Thompson Diner is open 24/7. For me, the diner is the perfect place to for a late night meal and is the perfect way to end a night out.

The lounge in the lobby is very stylish and the rooftop is simply fantastic. Great places to spend time either single, as a couple or in a group.

Walk out the door and there are dozens of restaurant, bar, lounge and club options within walking distance. It seems to be within walking distance or a $10 cab ride to almost everything (Rogers Centre, CN Tower, Kensington....)

The staff is always very welcoming, polite and friendly, not to mention, some of the greatest smiles you've ever seen are waiting at the front desk. The valet service and underground parking can accomodate taller vehicles (many downtown hotels can't put full size trucks underground) and from the moment you pull up you are treated with respect.

All this for a very reasonable room rate. I've stayed at a few other "high end" hotels downtown and paid the same rates, if not more, for rooms that are nowhere near as nice and service that can't compare.

Stay once and it will quickly become your first choice.

Simply put, this hotel is very classy but not uncomfortable. The rooms are fantastic. The bedding might be the best I've ever slept on. The food options are exceptional and the location is perfect. It's amazing to me how many people have never heard of The Thompson, but I direct as many people there as I can.

Room Tip: If you book a standard king room, I prefer the ones located at the end of the hall. They are laid o...
10 Thank T M
Saye K, General Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Dear T M,
Thank you for your kind words, and I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed both the hotel and our location. I will definitely pass on your kind words to our staff, and I am very happy to hear that you felt we offered such great service. We very much appreciate your loyalty and can’t wait to welcome back to Thompson Toronto!

Saye Kokeh
Barcelona
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We came into the city earlier this month for a wine tasting and booked a room at the Thompson on the advice of a colleague. Suite was gorgeous- modern yet warm with high end finishes, linens and toiletries. We had a quick dinner downstairs at the restaurant and were pleasantly surprised by both the food and the top-notch service (our waiter knew the wine list inside and out and made excellent recommendations based on what we had ordered.) The trip was a short one but the professional and courteous staff coupled with the sleek and luxurious design of the space itself have made the Thompson my number one choice of hotel for future trips to Toronto.

10 Thank lamerce
Dear Iamerce,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our accommodations and our service. Should you need any assistance in the future with making reservations please do not hesitate to contact me. Once again, thank you for your post!

Saye Kokeh