“Not for the picky palette; Perfect for the adventurous”
Review of Black Hoof

Black Hoof
Ranked #289 of 8,947 Restaurants in Toronto
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Bone marrow, horse tartar, foie-berry shortcake, beef tongue on brioche, blood pudding, cider. The foie-berry shortcake was seared foie gras on a buttermilk bisquit w/ strawberries and a creme anglais. Perhaps the best-tasting food I ever put in my mouth. It took a few minutes to find as the awning reads "Charcuterie" so look for that. The restaurant's name isn't as obvious on the window. They do not accept reservations, so we put our name in for a 45 minute wait (typical where we come from) and walked across the street to their cocktail bar. In there, the atmosphere was lovely. Subway-tiled walls, antique cabinets, old tunes on the radio. I ordered a Negroni, which was perfectly made with a single, oversized square ice cube which melted slowly into the drink.

Our time came for dinner, in which we sat at the counter across from the small kitchen in the restaurant. I was surprised to see that every dish was prepared on a basic white electric range top. I now have high hopes for improving my cooking at home on my own electric range. The menus are printed on chalkboards on each end of the restaurant, so I suggest taking a picture of the menu on your phone then choosing your dinner back at your seat. The horse tartar was "horsey" for lack of any better adjective. It tasted as I expected a horse to taste. Perhaps a bit over-seasoned with sauces, but still lovely. The bone marrow as market price at $8 so we had to order it. I was surprised to see it served w/ a chimichurri spread (I'm used to marrows served w/ jam) but this hit the spot while sprinkled w/ sea salt. Beef tongue on brioche was enough for the two of us to split. Very tender and rich. The blood pudding was also a treat, topped with whole grain mustard and served with ketchup chips. The icing on the dinner was the foie-berry shortcake. Even at $25/ea I should have ordered another one. It was the best food item I have tasted... anywhere.

Our waiter was so friendly and we struck up some conversations with him. Well worth the visit if you are an adventurous eater. If you're picky or prefer steak and potatoes, it might be best to stay home. This place isn't for everyone. Cash and Canadian debit only, so if you run out of cash, there's a convenience store a block up the street with an ATM. We almost had to replenish our wallets but came in just under budget.

1  Thank Chiquita15

Reviewed August 20, 2013

This is not a place for traditional ideas on dinner. 8 guys with hungry appetites were extremely filled after ordering about 10 different plates, and sharing them all. This was some of the most interesting, diverse and exploratory cuisine I've ever encountered.

They only take cash and canadian credit so bring cash, otherwise its a 2 block walk to a 7-11 for cash.

1  Thank Chihawksdan
Reviewed July 31, 2013

On our last night visiting Toronto, my husband and I ventured over to Black Hoof to see what they had to offer. We liked that it is a small restaurant, as it made it a more comfortable dining experience (not chaotic or overcrowded). We sampled a number of plates including the recommeneded charcuterie sampler (reaallly delicious) and a few other items, but the most memorable and surprisingly wonderful dish of our trip was the horsemeat tartare. It was so good! Would put this at the top of my list of recommended restaurants for any friends going to Toronto, and plan to go back if we head back north anytime soon!

1  Thank njlcox
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This restaurant is superlative. The wait staff is knowledgeable, the food sublime.
You must love, love meat or seafood and be a bit daring. It will be well worth it.
No reservations, opens at 6.
Get there at 545 and it will be an awesome experience.
BTW... they make the best cocktails..

Gotta run... must get there now!

1  Thank foodblonde
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Just ate here on a trip to Toronto. Sunday night at 7 - we were able to get in fine which was cool. Remember no reservations. Food was good, just not as good as Bourdain made it to be. Server was cool and let us taste a couple of wines. Price was very reasonable. Went across the street for cocktails after dinner. That was a cool place to chill.

3  Thank Bobby-SF