“Piazzetta 3: OK, not great”

Piazzetta Trattoria
Ranked #3,567 of 8,576 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: North End
Toronto, Canada
“Piazzetta 3: OK, not great”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Was not impressed with the location further north a couple of months ago, but had a coupon to use, so just hoped for the best.

The staff are friendly and know the menu. They accommodated our special (but simple) requests. The menu has enough choice, especially the apps. The decor is nice shabby chic. They do have a pizza oven, but the place didn't have the yummy wood-burning oven smell that the location further north usually has.

The highlight was the grilled seafood platter-- nicely seasoned, not over-cooked. The grilled chicken was dry and chewy. The tomato and goat cheese salad looked messy, but was tasty. After a bad experience at the other location, we avoided all forms of pasta.

Overall, it was OK. But my eye kept wandering through the windows to the livelier-looking Italian restaurant across the street.

• Visited July 2013

markham
“Consistently Makes for a Good Evening”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This review is for the Yonge & York Mills location (just south of York Mills), this is the location I have visited on numerous occasions: with a friend who recommended it to me, with my wife, with my parents, and every time the place has been hard to leave as it feels just that comfortable. Time flew by and the staff were too polite to kick me out. On several occasions the owner would sit down with us come end of meal and gab with us. Nicest guy, too; though since the Eglinton location opened he understandably seems to spend more time there. The pizza is ALWAYS wonderful, as is the pasta, minestrone soup, appetizers. Service could be seen as hit and miss if you were in a hurry (which I am never in). But the food always rocks, and in the end that is what I go to a restaurant for. So from that point of view I would suggest it for family and friends, not a nervous first date :-)

• Visited October 2012
toronto
“Wouldn't go back”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Had only 2 wines available in a glass. Ordered the stuffed mushrooms with feta as an appetizer. Didn't enjoy them at all and undercooked. The rigatoni al forno was sooo bland and watery with chunks of tomatoes. It seemed as though sauce was straight out of the can. The tiramisu was another disappointment. It tasted stale and the smothered it with chocolate sauce. Ruined the whole dessert. The male waiter was very pleasant and attentive. I wouldn't recommend this restaurant.not one person in the place looked Italian. 2459 Yonge St.

• Visited July 2012
Oakville, Canada
“Groupon winner! (really the 2459 Yonge St. location)”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My boyfriend and I explored this restaurant on a Groupon. I don't normally go uptown to eat but I say this restaurant was very good.
We went for a very early dinner and were the only ones there.
We were promptly and courteously served and attended to.
The Groupon included an appetizer, two mains, a dessert to share and two drinks.
We had a focaccia bruscetta and my boyfriend had a Caesar salad that was so garlicky I could smell it across the table.
My boyfriend ordered the Veal Parmesan served with bright vegetables so that I was a bit jealous. I had the Manicotti with spinach and ricotta cheese. It was quite flavourful and HOT as it had come out of the wood fired oven.
The only dissappointment was the dessert. I ordered an ice-cream filled crepe with raspberry coulis and chocolate and it was right from a frozen box. I've seen it in other restaurants and probably at the Superstore. It looked nothing like the picture they show on their website.

• Visited May 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Despite a bad night, you deserve four stars! Please read.”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

My party of four made a reservation for 7pm on April 28, 2013 at your Eglinton location. We were promptly seated and after preamble, the waiter (who we later realized was the manager, Maxwell) took our drink and food orders. Nothing goes wrong yet, so allow me to get directly to the point:

We were at the restaurant for a total of THREE hours; the time we left the restaurant was a about a quarter to ten. Not only did the bread and food take forever to arrive, but also the gnocchi I ordered was served 15 minutes before the three pizzas ordered by my party. Adhering to table manners, I waited until the pizzas arrived before I started to eat. Though I haven’t personally tasted it, it was in agreement from my party that the pizza did not taste good and I could see that the pizzas were burnt on one side.

We asked our waiter, Maxwell, to bring us the manager, and he introduced himself as also being the manager that night. Long story short, he told us that they were understaffed that day and that the pizza guy who makes the pizza awesome was, at the last minute, unavailable to work that night. Despite the complaints made by my party and other guests with regards to the wait and quality of the food, Maxwell did a really good job making it up to the dissatisfied customers. He politely apologized to us several times, and gave us his card with a note to invite us back for pizza on the house when the pizza guy returns.

Although the time I went was not completely pleasant, I must say that I really enjoyed my gnocchi. As a matter of fact, I have heard many praises about your pizzas and pastas from a close friend of mine. Despite this not so well experience, I am very satisfied with the attempts that Maxwell made to make the customers satisfied. Never once did he lose his patience and respect towards us.

I believe that the professional manner in which Maxwell handled my party’s situation and the concerns of other guests around me deserves praise. Maxwell worked very hard with only one other staff member in the dining area; not to mention that one of the kitchen staff (the pizza guy) was not there that night. I originally wasn’t going to write this review, hoping that I could write a review based on a second visit to this restaurant. However, a recent unfortunate incident with the owner at an Italian restaurant in up north in Woodbridge made me realize how fortunate I was to have dealt with Maxwell. Not all restaurant owners know how to properly handle conflicts in a professional manner.

I just want to say thank you to Maxwell for your hardwork that night and that I will definitely be back. Hopefully, the food will taste great (the gnocchi did taste awesome) and service will be expedient this time. I’m looking forward for my imminent second visit to Piazzetta.

• Visited April 2013