“Excellent dosas and chat”
Review of Madras Masala

Madras Masala
Ranked #1,057 of 9,074 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Indian
Neighborhood: West End
Neighborhood: West End
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Excellent south Indian food here. The dosas are an ample size but not ridiculously huge and the fillings are really tasty. The service is excellent and the food comes quickly. This restaurant is a favourite of ours.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Visited twice in the past week. Service is great, they will do what they need to to make sure that you have an enjoyable experience. You can go one of two ways. Go with a Dosa for a complete Southern Indian meal (about 40 to choose from) or go with a mix of southern india or chino indian plates to share with others. I recommend the Gobi Manchurian.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Live in the neighbourhood and have been visiting Madras Masala for a while now. Food is really very good here. To start off the chat (dahi puri in my case) are amazing.. remind me of Bombay's streets. I have tried a few dishes here. The first time I went there I had some dosa. Though decently made the sambhar wasn't that good and so I didnt like it overall. However in my subsequent trips I relied on the recommendations of the waiters and loved it. The goan chicken curry is truly amazing and pretty authentic. Next I tried the chettinad chicken which was amazing too had a authentic homely taste to it which I love and was longing for. Where Madras Masala impressed me the most was the bread. I ordered the plain paratha and unlike most restaurants in the city it was made of whole wheat rather than maida that's speaks volumes about the restaurants quality. It was very filling too. (However their chapatis suck also the aloo paratha wasn't as good as the plain one). The dum hyderabadi biryani was also great too nicely spiced with nice tender and juicy chicken it was akin to one I had during my trips to south India. Would definitely recommend this to anyone but would advise you to stick to the waiters recommendations coz some of their food is amazing but many other items on the menu suck (avoid north Indian entrées like kadhai/ mutter paneer, aloo paratha, etc.) Finally Banjara which is right next to it is good too but the chef/ waiter recommended curries here are way too amazing compared to Banjara.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Great food. Good central location with parking place in front. The food was authentic south Indian and tasted great. We went twice during our week in Toronto. Will definitely go if we visit the city.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is a small place with not too many tables but the service is attentive and with a smile. Come here for the dosa's, you will LOVE them! The rest of the menu is ok but does not distinguish itself from any other Indian restaurant. The dosa's though, they are excellent. Just go to the menu page listing of the dozen or so choices of these lovely crepe-like dosa's and you will have a great meal. The lentils, potatoes and chutneys that come with your order will be exactly what you need to balance the palate and the nutritional needs of any diner. These are gluten free (no flour) so it is a place that diverse diet needs can be happy with.