“Great meal as a late-night walk in.”
Review of L'Unita

L'Unita
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Unita is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #265 of 8,656 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Davenport
London, United Kingdom
“Great meal as a late-night walk in.”
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Spur of the moment decision to stop for food. Found a table with minimum fuss. Nice shared starter, then good fish main. House wine very palatable, and overall good, attentive, but not overbearing, service. Will certainly return.

Visited September 2013

• Indonesian first
Ontario
“Superb quality and service”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

This is one from my own city for a change.

We reserved a spot for 4 people at the last moment, a rarity in Toronto these days to be able to get a table on a Saturday night for 4 at our chosen time. It was a long weekend, and the masses which normally descend into the best restaurants had all gone away for the weekend.

I was skeptical of this place due to it's location and the reputation most of the restaurants here have of being overprices snob crowd hangouts. Was I ever surprised.

First - the decor and ambience in the place is very nicely done. The lighting is a little on the dim side, but it gives a you a nice relaxed feel with soft background music. This means you can actually talk with your friends that you went out to dinner with, without having to lean in and/or yell at each other all night. Go figure.

What we ordered, starters:
- marinated, heated olives which were so nicely prepared and tasty with roasted garlic, peperoncino & citrus slices which infused the plate with a really nice aroma and taste.
- sardine crostini - small sardines on a cracker which was one of the best preparations of sardines i've ever had. It had black olives, fennel and capers on top and honestly to me this is their signature starter. We ordered 2 of these for the table. I would go back just to order this.

As a starter drink I had was called 'The Harrison' which is a gin based drink really well mixed with lime, mint, tonic, and of course gin. Was a modern take on the classic G&T and I really liked it. Lots of ice, very cold and just went down great while waiting for the appetizers.

The main course I had:
- squid ink troccoli 'al nero': squid ink infused pasta with calamari thrown in for good measure. The pastas here are made in house, and you can taste the difference. This dish was a nice sized portion, not too big like most places like to give you. It was very tasty and the calamari slices were very well prepared as well. Wifey had the grilled saparagus salad since the appetizers were already enough for her. I had a taste of this and since asparagus is one of my favourite veggies, i loved this dish. It came with mushrooms, parmigiano cheese and a poached egg. Really nicely presented and tasted really good.

We all had various wines with our meals, 2 glasses each I think of various kinds. Wine list is decent and not crazy in prices.

Now the best part of the night - so far it had been very very tasty and food was prepared superbly.

We ordered the caramel doughnuts - these are homemade donuts with mascarpone cream on the inside, and salted caramel & lemon sugar on the outside. These are heavenly. One of the best deserts i've ever had in any restaurant.

Total bill for 4 people: $250 for all of the above with plenty of wine and cocktails. That is an amazing price for Toronto especially given the upscale restaurants in this area. I was expecting $350+. Was a really nice surprise.

The service was excellent - real pro waiters and bartenders. Not teenagers doing their hours over the weekend. Really great at suggesting and explaining the menu options, you can tell they had intimate knowledge of everything on the menu and how it was made and what ingredients were used. Nice conversation and not over bearing - once we got our food and we were busy enjoying it and talking amongst ourselves, they left us alone until we were ready for more drinks and desserts. Love this kind of service. I hate when the staff comes up and asks you every 5 minutes if 'you are ok'. This place doesn't do that.

In a nutshell: superb food, at really good prices. I would come here just for the sardine starter and the donuts. Everything else was really good also i might add.

• Visited June 2013
Burlington, Ontario
“A divine dining experience”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Had dinner at L'Unita and it was FANTASTIC! Very intimate, romantic setting with great lighting. Classic rock music playing in the background contrasted with the upscale setting in a very pleasing way. Our wine choice was the Syrah Exordium (very good). For dinner we ordered two pasta dishes, which the waiter kindly offered to split for sharing without us having to ask. First up was the Squid Ink Troccoli 'Al Nero'. It was so good I ate with my eyes closed. It had a slightly tangy flavour with lots of umami and the texture was spot-on. Next up was the pasta special which was hand-made farfalle with walnuts and morels and hard-ripened cheese. It was also absolutely delicious. For dessert I had the chocolate truffle cake made by the in-house pastry chef. It was rich and only slightly sweet with a silky yet substantial texture. So good. We found the service at L'Unita excellent. Our waiter was warm and personable while still being professional. He was very attentive and did a great job describing the dishes. Loved this place.

Visited June 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“Perfecto!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We had such a wonderful meal here. L'unita is a small Italian gem in the Yorkville neighborhood of Toronto. We had the antipasto plate and octopus and chorizo to start, AMAZING!! The antipasto plate was explained in detail down to the crispy pigs ears, we were split 2/2 on the crispy pigs ears. My husband had the Italian sausage pasta, loved it. Step-daughter had the lobster pasta, she didn't share :( Step-daughters boyfriend had a pizza, he seemed to enjoy it. And I had by for the best meal, a Fred Flintstone sized pork chop (bone in), with crispy polenta red pepper, puree and vegetables. A great bottle of wine and fantastic service. We will be back if we are in Toronto again.

• Visited May 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Great fun”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Great fun atmosphere , attentive staff, good food, intelligent wine list, smart looking clientel, excellent bar

Visited February 2013