“Great Lobster Bisque & Mushroom Caps”

Baton Rouge Steakhouse & Bar
Ranked #2,617 of 10,303 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Scarborough
Cross street: McCowan Road
Description: Heading to Toronto? Before you get downtown, stop off the Trans Canada Highway for a light lunch or relaxing dinner at Bâton Rouge Steakhouse Bar & Grill in Scarborough.
Reviewed June 27, 2016

We visited Baton Rouge on our way back home from the ROM. We last visited it when it was called the Old Scott House back in the 1970's & 80's.
We thoroughly enjoyed our Friday evening dinner. The lobster bisque was extremely good and so were the mushroom caps.
My top sirloin steak was a little on the chewy side but, then it was not expensive. I would imagine that the better cuts at a higher price would have also been very good.

Date of visit: June 2016

Reviewed May 10, 2016

Teenage son wanted ribs for his birthday, this restaurant supposedly 'the' place for ribs. Elegant interior, leans toward fine dining aspect. The servers are professionally attired in neat black with aprons.
The ribs were amazing - meaty and tasty. The appetizer Spinach dip which I've ordered several times elsewhere, here was tasteless and I would never order it again.
When the server found out it was my son's birthday, he arranged for a complimentary dessert to round out the meal.
I ordered a decaf coffee and the server told me he would brew a fresh batch. The bill came, the coffee wasn't on it and was not brought to me either. When I mentioned it to the waiter, he finally brought it to me but it was so putrid I couldn't drink more than a couple of sips.

Date of visit: April 2016
Reviewed April 15, 2016

Went in on a week day for lunch. Very quiet with few patrons. The had a rib special which I had and my wife order a chicken salad. Because of so few customers the waiter swooned over us. It was starting to get bothersome. The food was good and enjoyable. I know this place gets very busy in the evenings especially weekends.

Date of visit: April 2016
Reviewed March 27, 2016

My husband and I went for dinner last night (Sat April 26, 2016). We had seen this heritage home many times over the years and decided to give the restaurant a try. We were seated by a lovely hostess and tended to by another lovely waitress. My husband ordered a coke and a steak and I ordered a glass of Sangria and the chicken tenders. I sipped on my wine while we waited for our meals. When they arrived, my husbands meal was decent, however my chicken was cold. The waitress came by to check how everything was and I informed her of this. She apologized and returned my plate to the kitchen. Within five minutes, another server came by and returned my plate. It was the exact same pieces of chicken that had simply been re-fried. The waitress once again came by to check on us and I informed her that my meal was not fit to be eaten as it had been re-fried and was now saturated in oil. By this point my husband was not sure whether to continue dining solo as this was originally intended to be a dinner for two. Not only was the momentum gone but my appetite was also ruined. Biting into the chicken only to have it release it's recycled oil was bitterly lingering on my palate. The manager came by and offered another chicken meal. I gracefully declined and explained my rationale. Afterall, how sanitary can their kitchen and food handling practices be if they re-cook (in the same oil that other meals are made) and re-serve food already bitten and handled by consumers? He offered to substitute with calamari (another deep fried dish) a salad or desert to which I declined. By this point I simply wanted to leave as my stomach was feeling curdled. He made a point of letting me know that I would not be charged for my meal. I found this insultingly amusing considering I hadn't eaten any of it. My calorie intake came solely in the form of my one glass of wine which was not even comped. The manager gave us a gift certificate to be used only at their location (as stated in fine print) even though he said otherwise. Needless to say, there will not be a return visit nor any recommendations on my part.

Date of visit: March 2016
BRSteakhouseBar, Guest Relations Manager at Baton Rouge Steakhouse & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2016

Hi Vanessa,
We are sorry to read that your recent Bâton Rouge visit fell below your expectations. Guest satisfaction is at the forefront of our brand's mission and we are sorry this was not the case for you. We'd like to get in touch with you to further discuss your review and kindly ask you to email your coordinates to contactmarketing@batonrouge.ca for a member of our management team to follow-up with you.
-Julian, BR

Reviewed February 28, 2016

visit Sat Feb. 27
time 5:30pm
location Progress Ave, Scarborough, Ontario

Arriving at the location there were 3 cars, this should have been a warning. There was garbage outside the front entrance door. Upon entry and another group behind us approached the maitre de, he stopped us and took a phone call. A visit to the lower level and washroom level there was garbage on the stairs. Back at the main level we were sat and ordered the tood. Waiter Kurt was friendly. The ceasar salad tasted more or oil and vinegar and was poor. My wife chose the cajun sirloin which was mediocre and lacking in cajun flavour. I chose the trio special, what a mistake. Good was the ribs but that was all. The baked potatoe skin was dried and hard, maybe left over from lunch. The chicken was overdone and the shrimp was rubbery. Time committments prevented sending it back. Around us were many empty tables but at the entrance there was a line of about 3-4 groups. It appears the location is managing its customers and not bringing extra staff for the weekend dinners. Our selection of Baton Rogue will NOT be repeated.

Date of visit: February 2016