“Mediocre at best”

Baton Rouge Steakhouse & Bar - Scarborough
Reserve with OpenTable
Baton Rouge Steakhouse & Bar - Scarborough is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,568 of 8,434 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Steakhouse, American, Canadian, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Scarborough
Cross street: McCowan Road
Montreal, Canada
“Mediocre at best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

We went on a Tuesday evening and the place was dead. We should have seen the indicators when one of the front doors said "use the other door with an arrow" only to find the recommended door locked. As it turns out, door with the sign was the only one unlocked. The server was friendly but failed to bring water as requested. I am not sure if it is standard practice at this restaurant but no bread is served with the meals. Caesar salads had an excessive number of dry croutons and limited lettuce. The ribs, which they specialize, were excellent - meaty, moist and tasty. The seafood dishes were slightly overcooked. For the price point, I thought the service should have been better and more attentive and food better prepared. Except for the low noise levels which made it conducive to conversation, there is really nothing to compel a return visit.

• Visited April 2013

Ottawa
“Do be prepared to fill in the time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

We went for a group dinner, some 30 people, and had a separate room. SetUp was good, staff were friendly. Service was really slow - we waited a good 30 minutes before anyone arrived to take take any orders. Food was good, when it finely arrived, however, food for half of group arrived after the other half had already finished. Do not know what regular service is like but clearly not well prepared to deal with groups.

Visited April 2013
“consistent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

They have their stuff together. Service is good. We moved our table because the 1st one had a cold draft.
They were understanding and accomodating.

I had a half rack of ribs. The portion was good. Food was good.
The only thing I would say is it cost $40 with tip no wine each. A bit on the pricey side considering I could have lobster for that price.

So on a day that you don't feel like lobster it's not a bad choice.

Visited March 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Service? You mean the lack there of...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

As recommended to me by a friend, I thought I'd give this place a try. Unfortunately it turned out to be one of the worst dining experience I've ever had, and I felt extremely sorry for whoever owns this franchise for having staff members who clearly did not care.

We should have taken it as a sign when we walked in today at close to 1pm and finding the place nearly empty, but we only thought it was due to its location and not other factors. Me and my friend stood by the reception for nearly 10 minutes, waiting for the waitress, who was working behind the bar right across from us and clearly saw us, to come and greet us (or at least to acknowledge). I suppose she was extremely busy with serving the nearly empty place, hence it took her quite a bit of time.

When she came over, there was no greetings. She simply grabbed two menues and led us all the way across, passing by all the empty seats, to the back corner. Then we never saw her again, except when she brought two more parties to the area close to us and served them.

After 20 minutes of staring at each other, me and my friend decided to leave, at which time the waitress was actually close by (surprisingly), and simply looked at us and said "Sorry ladies". I cannot help but wonder how she got the job in the first place. Last time I checked "customer service skills" was still listed as one of the criteria for waiter/waitress. I rated "very poor" on the service, but that implies that we actually received some sort of service, which sadly was not the case.

As we were walking out the manager asked us how we were doing, I told him that if we could have some service that'd be very kind of them. He said maybe we could give them a second chance, and handed me a piece of card that says "20% off". I appreciate his effort, but it would be more useful if he actually came to our table instead of just standing afar and looking at us when he had the first chance. I would not want to subject myself or anyone to this kind of service, and the card ended up in the garbage bin right outside.

We then walked over to Milestones, which is right across from BR. That place was packed as any normal restaurant should be at lunch time on a Sunday. I cannot help but think that it was because we looked and dressed like two teenagers (which we were not) that we received this kind of service (or the lack there of) at BR, but when I checked on the website, I did not notice any dress code for this place. So if that was indeed the reason, it would be nice to put a line on the website to advise potential customers to dress up in order to be served.

• Visited February 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst restaurant Ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We have never been to this restaurant before and decided to give it a try for new years eve.
We called to make reservations, and was told by the lady that they were not taking reservations. Thats fine so our family of 4 head out to the restaurant , we get there and are asked if we have a reservation, we say no that we were told they werent taking any. No problem she says and asks us to wait at the bar until a table opens up. We expected there would be a wait so we had no problems with that. After a half an hour we were shown to a table.
20 mins later someone comes by to take our order.
2 of us order steak well done, 1 prime rib and 1 rib dinner.
Well one of our steaks is served still bleeding,,,,yuck so we send it back. They bring it back 12 minutes later and its still raw. The creamy mashed potatos?? not mashed, very hard and cold
i understand that its busy on new years eve but come on people 20 minutes for soeone to come and take our drink order??? thats a little much

Saving the best for last, my husband who ordered the ribs got food poisoning !!
up all night with severe vomitting....Good place to eat?? I THINK NOT PASS THIS ONE BY FOLKS

• Visited December 2012