“Authentic Italian Restaurant”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Victoria St and Richmond St
Transit: Street Car: Queen Street East at Victoria Street Stop ID: 03076. Walk half a block south to 106 Victoria.
Toronto, Canada
“Authentic Italian Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

My family and I dined at this restaurant last Saturday October 12. we didnt have any dinner reservations as we decided at the last minute to eat out. I called asking for a table of four, informing them that two of them were children under the age of eleven. We told them we would not be more than 1.5 hours and they graciuosly took us in without any hesitation. Not bad considering the reservation was at 6pm on a Saturday night. From the moment we arrived the staff focused on the children as they were the only ones in the restaurant. Not to mention the restaurant was packed.

We ordered calamari fritti and a sample tray of various appetizers. They were very well done. Calamari were a bit chewy as the children are used to them being cooked slightly longer but still tasty. The kids are pasta lovers so the waitress recommended a tomato basil sauce with fresh made pasta - that too was very good as the kids ate it all. My spouse had the gnocchi with burrata and she thought they were amazing. I had the branzino which was accompanied by a salad. The table next to me order the same dish but had a side of rapini...I should have done the same. The waitress brought over the dessert menus and the kids had chocolate ice cream and the adults had a warm chocolate cake which was decadent.

Overall the staff was great, they mainly spoke Italian amongst themselves which we understand being Italian ourselves. Goes to show just how rustic and authentic the cuisine in this restaurant is as we felt we were in Puglia, Italy. Although we skipped the wine, the selection was quite expansive.

This restaurant is part of the Terroni chain. We also visited Bar Centrale, and La Bettola. If you dontmind driving into the heart of downtown Toronto, this restaurant is definitely worth the trip. Enjoy...

• Visited October 2013

Oakville, Canada
“Nice place for a beer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

We recently had a gathering of about ten at the bar. Good service, reasonable selection of beer and good atmosphere.

• Visited October 2013
Bayfield, Canada
“Great atmosphere, fun, clean menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

I love this place. We've been several times and each time is a treat. The tasting menu is a must. It changes daily. You can choose how many courses you want. It all starts with a sampling of 5 appetizers tastes followed by either one or two further courses depending on which adventure you choose. I always get the appetizers followed by a primi and secondi. The service is sharp and fun, the food is presented beautifully and is very tasty and the decor is warm and welcoming. The only thing I have ever found slightly off putting is the hostesses who belie the casual atmosphere with a somewhat frosty and elitist air. I could be just me though.

All in all I would eat there again and recommend it to others.

YUM!

• Visited May 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great place to sit at the bar and share plates”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

We found this place by accident. There's two parts to it, one is on the left (La Bettola Di Terroni) and the other is Chef's table, reservation only (Osteria Ciceri e Tria). We never ate at the Chef's Table side, but before you judge just by reviews here see reviews for La Bettola Di Terroni as well.

We like it here a lot and try to eat there whenever we're in Toronto. It has great pizza's and a nice wine list. We usually sit at the bar and share plates. The prices aren't outrageous for a major city, and especially by Canadian standards, but it could be easy for the check to get away from you if you don't pay attention. The atmosphere is nice, casual and hip, and there's often families dining but the staff are good about dissuading free-range children.

• Visited December 2012
Rochester, Michigan
“Our dinner on the 14th of June”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I like exploring very good restaurants. We have no problems to pay good money if the food, service and ambiance is perfect. We have dinners for 2 people for $ 180.

The Osteria in Toronto was the worst value I got so far for my money.

Service = bad
Presentation = bad
Food for the price I paid = average at best (I don't want to be to negative)

To mention that I got the worst Calamari, I every had. $18 !!!!! for a small "Mc Donald" paperback full of fried, chewy calamari ???

Final comment: It's worse to pass on to a different restaurant

• Visited June 2013