“Best steak ever!”

Jacobs & Co. Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Jacobs & Co. Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 8,477 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Canadian, American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Cross street: King St. West
Transit: Brant Street
Lancashire, United Kingdom
“Best steak ever!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is probably the best kept secret in town. We arrived for 7:30 reservations & didn't leave until around 11:30. There is no rush - this is a night to enjoy the food, the service & the luxury of this restaurant. We chose to go with the caesar salad to start because of all the recommendations - it was absolutely delicious & created for you at your table. I must say though, once you've done it once, I wouldn't do it again only because I would rather leave room for the steak! That was the belle of the ball...we had a ribeye & another cut of steak sliced and served so we could both share....wow! The best steak I have ever eaten - they sear the outside & the flavour is like nothing else I have ever tasted! We went with the duck fat fries (don't bother - not the best I've had) and the mushrooms (excellent). The only thing that did occur at the restaurant that I found regrettable & that the waiter took advantage of was the wine - expensive to start with but we ordered 2 glasses & were told it was unavailable but we have this one...well knowing you are paying top dollar already for the food you don't like to ask how much. It ended up being $35 per glass (our original order was $15 per glass). They completely overprice the wine to a ridiculous level & then to pull something like this to increase it even higher is a shame.

Outside of this however, the service is top notch, the food excellent. Know that you're going in paying $150-$200 per person and you won't be too shocked at the end of the meal. You can share the sides with up to 3-4 people depending on how much they eat. You won't find a better steak in the city.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Oshawagal

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
New York, NY
“service OK, steaks need to be specified carefully”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

this is my second time I've been here. Good restaurant. They're well known for their ceasar salad. That is a good salad - sauce in particular is good - no dairy - all fresh egg yolk etc. Ends up a very creamy dish - but isn't particularly green. So don't confuse this with a healthy option.

the underlying steak was good but our problem was that it was well done despite us asking for medium rare. We should have sent it back but honestly we were so hungry by the time it arrived we didn't complain. I would specify carefully you want medium rare - i.e. red juicy on the inside.

Service - salad maker was nice - they do it right in front of you. The main waiter not so much - seemed he was overwhelmed - was difficult to get his attention to make sure drinks / glasses were filled.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank NYReliable
Canada
“Great Steak ,Exactly how I wanted it”
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

We went to Jacobs with business associates. Was pleasantly surprised with the quaint atmosphere. They have an extensive wine list, with plenty of rare finds, but I struggled to find something in the $40 to $60 range. We were 12 co workers and I was trying to be respectful to my employers budget.
The appetizers were all fantastic. I ordered my rib eye Chicago medium rare, and it was done to perfection. We had a variety of sides that were all excellent. I would love to return to Toronto with my wife and bring her to Jacobs

1 Thank Tom D
Toronto
“Good but pricey”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Jacobs is certainly a good steakhouse but extremely pricey. Be prepared to spend $400-$700 per couple for dinner including drinks. One could certainly spend more depending on which steak and alcohol ordered but I think this would be a fair estimate. There are a few steaks on the menu that are in the $100++ range. My reco, one steak between two people is more than enough. We were a group of four men and four women, we ordered three steaks between us and there were leftovers.
The atmosphere is formal and definitely male dominated. I was one of only a handful of women present. Not that that's a problem, just something I noticed. I certainly wouldn't pick Jacobs for a night out with the girls.
Servers are knowledgeable and unobtrusive, eager to explain the variety of meats and their respective origins. The table side prepared Caesar Salad is one of the best, if not the best in the city. Sides are ordered separately, the steaks come a la carte so you'll need to order some sides. Duck fat frites are good but the rest leave quite a bit to be desired. Mostly bland and overcooked and again, pricey.
If you love steak, Jacobs is worth a try.

• Visited February 2013
Mississauga
“Very pricey, there are others”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Had dinner there last night, it is certainly good, but extremely pricey. I know they wanted to go with a modern decor, but I prefer the homier places like Barbarian's. Also, the piano player drowned out table conversation. The sides were overdone, not cooking wise, but a baked potato should have just sour cream/butter/chives, but chees and brisket were over the top. Table service was a bit spotty. Steak was indeed excellent, I do like the cast iron skillets. The washrooms were the most incredible I have ever seen. This place obviously caters to the business crowd, FYI. If you are paying the shot yourself, I would consider other less expensive places.

• Visited February 2013