“Outstanding dinner”

Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Toronto
Description: Great food, art and culture are always on the menu at AGO Bistro. Located in the Art Gallery of Ontario, AGO Bistro is an award-winning restaurant designed by the world-renowned, Toronto-born Frank Gehry. The AGO is Gehry’s first building in Canada and AGO Bistro is proud and honoured to be a part of it. Whether for Brunch, Lunch, Dinner or Drinks, you and your guests will enjoy delicious meals prepared with local seasonal fare and quality fresh ingredients. Prix fixe menu choices are also available for Lunch and Dinner, inspired by the special art exhibitions to enhance your complete Gallery experience.
Reviewed March 4, 2018 via mobile

Went for dinner after enjoying the Kusama exhibit at the AGO. The unanimous decision was that the food was exceptional.

Our appetizers - we had the carrot ginger soup, Romaine and Treviso salad (fennel, oven-dried cherry tomato, sourdough, basil-pine nut pesto!) and the goat cheese Brûlée. All were very tasty. The Brûlée was so beautifully presented.

For entrees two of us had the fresh Buckwheat Linguini with spinach and other seasonal veg (amazing). Two of us had Black Cod, with tiny scallops, potato, green onion, in a soy, yuzu. Cod was perhaps freshest and most delicate preparation i’ve EVER had (and I often order seafood when I go out!).

Gelato was the highlight of the desserts we tried. Cookies were just okay, but the Matcha Honey Cake was a total miss.

The appetizers and mains were awesome enough to overlook the disappointing desserts.

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed February 4, 2018 via mobile

My friend and I met at noon, just before a generous lunch crowd engulfed the AGO Bistro on Dundas just a few blocks west of University Avenue.
Excellent, intelligent and accommodating service from at least three staff..and the meals were superb. My friend had the "Sunday Roast" ...the steak and egg beautifully presented melted in his mouth, he said. My Eggs Benny were yummy also...and gorgeous to behold. I would return and would bring any guest that I wanted to impress!
...Lise A.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed February 4, 2018

A friend and I had reservations for lunch on a Saturday. We were greeted warmly, seated promptly in a nice spot close to the open kitchen. Winterlicious had just started but we stuck with the Brunch menu. The starters were terrific - I had the grilled lettuce salad (wonderful, refreshing) and my friend had the smoked salmon. She said it was delicious. I had the pasta carbonara for the main (absolute perfection) and my friend had the Za'tar Portobello mushroom - also fabulous. Everything was so good, we just had to try dessert, too. We ordered the eclair and were ... very disappointed. The pastry was uncrisp and tasted stale. The whipped cream was gooey, under whipped. Everything else about the meal was first rate - too bad about the eclair.

Reviewed January 14, 2018 via mobile

As an AGO member and lover of French bistros, only the cold weather has kept me from going before to see what the restaurant changes have brought.

After visiting two non-ticketed exhibitions, my friend and I were more than ready to settle down to a late brunch and a long chat. We were seated downstairs at the corner of the long “booth” which we were told was less noisy and it was. We had a very enjoyable long lunch and were not rushed, although at that time there was not a pressing need to free up the table. We both ordered skim milk lattes (which one of course could not get in a real French bistro). They came as requested ahead of the meal in tall glass glasses—I would have preferred the large wide-mouthed cup or bowl, but no matter. The menu has a good variety and I will go back to try the Moules-Frites and the Steak Frites. Today we both had the Focaccia Florentine, my friend with a green salad and me with frites. The eggs were cooked to perfection and just the right amount for lunch to be satisfied but not overly full. The aioli sauce for the frites was excellent.

Our service couldn’t have been better. Well taken care of but not intrusive. Good for lunch, brunch and dinner. Enjoy.

1  Thank Art-Fashion-Travel
Reviewed January 7, 2018 via mobile

Stopped in for dessert and cocktails before visiting the gallery. The dessert cocktail was delicious and tasted like a creamsicle. The apple tarte and chocolate creameux were to die for. Service was quick and friendly.