“Returning again from Ottawa...”
Review of MoRoCo Chocolat

Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Bay Street
Transit: Steps away from the TTC Bay Station
Reviewed July 24, 2013

The first time we were at MoRoCo was actually well before the date of this review.

Our daughter was only 5 or 6 years old and we had no negative, in fact it was positive, vibe from the waitstaff.

Every morsel was delicious and the boutique grabbed me for at least 20 mins because there were so many tasty treats.

There is no doubt that the target audience of this restaurant is adult...it's beautiful. There are no paper placemats with kiddie puzzles and crayons.

The food delivery might have been a wee bit faster but if you are sipping and chatting it's fine.

I see lots of complaints about the poor service: our's was not at all unpleasant.

The prices are absolutely Yorkville prices: location, location, location.

It's Yorkville! Check out the prices at surrounding eateries and the hotels...you'll know you're heading to posh T.O.. Every major cosmopolitan city has just such a neighbourhood or two.

Certainly the servers should earn that 18.5% grat--just because it's guaranteed your goal should be to earn 20%!

We'te coming back with friends in a couple of weeks. I SURE HOPE the "transition problems" (new owners??) are solved by then.

Most valuable thing you have is your rep...I hope that your's looks more like your Google reviews.

For now, I'm a very happy patron.

Christie, Ottawa

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We went for lunch during Summerlicious. There is a cute little chocolate shop when you first walk in, very pricey but it is Yorkville... The restaurant attatched is much bigger than I expected. We loved the decor, very trendy, kitschy and extravagant. There were 3 of us, we sat at a table with 2 lovely chairs and a banquet..I tried to sit at the banquet, but the table was at my chin, so my husband took it.. I'm short.
We all ordered iced hot chocolate to start.. dark and milk. The dark was better because it tasted more like chocolate milk. The milk chocolate wasn't very chocolate-y. Honestly Tim Hortons Iced cap made with chocolate milk tastes very similar, and costs about $5 less.
I had the spinach salad to start, not much to it, not much flavor until you get the occasional piece of goat cheese. The dressing was bland, needed more vinegar and less oil. My husband had the pizzelle.. 2 small triangles of pizza with cheese and bacon. He said they were ok.
My husband and Aunt had the chicken crepes, I tried a bite, the crepes were nice and the wine sauce and mushrooms were tasty. It came with greens on the side, which I don't think even had vinaigrette on them. They both enjoyed the crepe, but my husband said he could of eaten about 10 of them because they were quite small. I had the mac and cheese. I was pleasantly surprised. It was very tasty, very creamy with a nice crispy toping. Again very small. I know it was lunch, but these were very small portions. For dessert my Aunt had the swirl frozen yogurt, which she said was good, and its hard to go wrong with frozen yogurt. My husband and I both had the red velvet crepes stuffed with strawberries - there was supposed to be some sort of cake crumbs in it, but I couldn't find them.. and a small line of cream cheese frosting. The crepe was incredibly dry, almost like eating thin cardboard..very tasteless. The tiny bit of cream cheese frosting we found inside was not enough to give any moisture to the crepe. There should have been a small scoop of ice cream or even some whipped cream just to make the dessert easier to get down. Now, even though we were not impressed with the food, we had a table of young girls beside us having tea, and I have to say the tiered trays of finger sandwiches and pastries did look very nice. I would consider going back for tea. This is a girly place for sure.. not many men there during our visit. The womens bathrooms are cute. I heard horror stories about the service, but after waiting about 10 minutes for initial contact with our server, everything was pretty good after that. On our way home, my husband had to stop at Holy Chuck to get something to fill him up.. lol.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Five of us looking for lunch decided to try this place. One of us had to leave for work in less than an hour which was conveyed to the server that this gal was on a time constraint. We ordered 3 burgers, crepes, and a spinach salad.

The spinach salad came and was a bland nothing heap of spinach leaves, sprinkled with a bit of cheese and a few cubes of beets. An effortless, boring pile of food any 3 yr old could have thrown on a plate.

Then we proceeded to wait and wait for about 45 min for our food.The person who had to go to work finally got her burger first and had only enough time to eat her fries so the burger was initially put aside to pack up and bring to her later, then we had a change of mind and told the server to dump it because of the worry of leaving the meat in the heat. We fought the charge for her meal because it was so late and management took it off the bill. The customer service was pitiful with a could care less attitude.

The sweet potato fries were excellent but the burgers were one of the worse burgers we ever had - overcooked, very dry, and absolutely tasteless! The crepes were decent but not exceptional.

Only two words for this place - NEVER AGAIN! Keep this up and you will be out of business very soon.

1  Thank foggydoggy168
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My husband is a chocaholic and wanted to try this place after someone else recommended it. We were downtown to watch a movie so headed here for dinner. The decor was lovely, the sofa seats were really comfortable. The hostess was nice enough. We were seated quickly (it was fairly quiet when we arrived).

My husband and I opted to share a main - sounded good, but essentially was a grilled cheese with ham for $$$. We then shared the 10 layer cake - it was good, but very thin layers (so not large). We decided we shouldn't leave without trying their signature sipping chocolate - we went for the dark. It was nice, but we've had better tasting chocolate. After 3 dishes and no drinks it came to $55 plus tax & tip - not cheap. I also didn't like the add on $$ for ordering items where there are more people that will share than they recommend. For example - the small pot of sipping chocolate for one person is $12, but $3 extra cup charge if 2 people are going to share it ($3 per extra person) - really?! $3 for giving me the same amount of food?

Overall we did like the atmosphere. However, a few minutes before we left the lights dimmed and it seemed that everything changed - beware of the posing crowd (very short skirts, high heels, LOTS of make-up, no courtesy to move to the side to let others pass through the doorway). Not our scene...we left and there's nothing that is going to pull us back to spend money there again.

5  Thank foreverblended
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Had a terrible experience at C House Lounge Cafe in Yorkville so crossed the street to Moroco Chocolat. Was impressed with beautiful decor, tasty teas and lunch so decided to rsvp a group outing in June for 9 ladies. Called but was only able to leave a message so used the online booking service... a week later, no call back. Called 3 more times since the event was fast approaching. No one ever answers. Emailed 2 more times to no avail. Finally, someone called back but it was too late... I had booked afternoon tea at the King Edward Hotel (amazing!).

2  Thank JULIE V