“food was good but service was bad” 3 of 5 bubbles

Duke of Somerset
Ranked #710 of 8,404 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, British, Canadian
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
kingston on canada
“food was good but service was bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

I went there sat may 4 at around 5pm, i go to toronto alot and was getting sick of hot dogs and mcds so i thought id try something different, i kept seeing this place when leaving toronto so i thought id give it a try. walked up to the outdoor patio i was greeted by a host he seemed ok, i got seated, and then a younger male waited on me . he came and took my order and was walking away when i told him what i wanted, so with no surprise my caesar salad came with my burger and fries, while i was waiting for my head the male host was leaning on the side of the outdoor bar. the food was good as i said the service was not. I did not tip as i was treated with very little respect and my needs was not met. The boss needs to retrain his wait staff. horrible service.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

North Bay, Canada
“Convenient location, good service, lots of choice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

The Duke of Somerset is a nice enough spot. The servers are pleasant, helpful and friendly. The menu is a bit complex but, on the other hand, will contain something for everyone. The prices are reasonable. I wish I could say something special about the place but, in fairness, it's one restaurant among hundreds. I've been there several times, mainly because it's deadly convenient to the Delta Chelsea Hotel. It's great that there's a place right there, if you know what I mean? You can get in and out of there for lunch by spending less than $20, which is always nice. Dinner would be in the $25 to $30 range -- more if you have alcoholic drinks, of course. I've always found the service to be fine. They have a nice, big patio, there, which is welcome on summer nights but the trouble is that smokers step out onto the sidewalk to smoke so you could very well have a person smoking within just a couple of feet of you. If this is a concern, try to get a spot that's against the wall of the building or over in the far corner.

• Visited January 2013
Albany, NY
“Better Than Pub Food with Plenty of Beer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

Just a little bit crowded as far as a setting but full of spirit this was a good choice for a casual dinner and beers. Locals had gathered on one side of the place to play Trivia - UK style pub style - on Thursday nights. Not expensive and comfortable I'll come back for a casual dinner again - even if by myself. I'm a Marriott regular and the Marriott Eaton Center is just a few blocks to the South. I can see being comfortable being there for on of those sole on-the-road dinners with me, myself and I.

• Visited September 2012
Hamilton, Canada
“It Hit the Spot but was Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

We arrived in Toronto last weekend after work for a birthday weekend. We were starving after settling into our hotel so we decided to find a pub nearby.

The menu wasn't very extensive but we both were able to find something. I had the chicken sandwich and my husband had the fish & chips. We shared the guacamole and chips for an app. Our main meals were just okay but the app was fantastic. The chips were just from the fryer so they were nice and warm.

My martinis were great and my husband enjoyed some craft beer. Our server was cheerful and attentive.

This pub isn't a true English pub but it is okay for a few drinks and to fill your stomach. We probably won't be back unless the lines were too long somewhere else.

Haliburton, Canada
“Excellent Food & Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

The food was delicious and reasonably priced. It's a laid back pub type atmosphere with an extensive outdoor patio. The wait staff are friendly and knowledgeable. Great place to watch the game.

Visited August 2012