“master endo san always delivers, but not to your door...”
Review of Aoyama Sushi

Aoyama Sushi
Ranked #1,326 of 8,516 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Scarborough
Toronto, Canada
“master endo san always delivers, but not to your door...”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Top notch sushi and sashimi omakase done in a very low key environment, and unexpected location. This little gem seats all of 30 people; with a kfc, a garage and italian grocery store as neighbours, but don't let that throw you off, you'll pay twice the price downtown for anything comparable. The service is kind but not a all polished, make sure you make reso's...

• Visited April 2013

Toronto
“Great Food , Hurried Service”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Overall, love the sushi and sashimi omakase here. We had been clients of Endo San for over 10 years while he was still at a local hotel's sushi restaurant. We were happy to find his new restaurant and was loving the fish selection and quality. The price is reasonable for omakase and the quality of the food is excellent. It is a very busy restaurant, although small. We went there for our weekly sushi as a family but found the service although pleasant but very very hurried.

Once we were seated, the kitchen foods started coming very promptly (typically, that's a good thing) , however, before our first course is done, they plonked down the 2nd and 3rd course followed by sashimi all in a matter of 20 secs. There was a sense of pressure to finish up your foods and we don't like that. I understand from a restaurant owner's point of view, they want to get you in and out as soon as possible for quick turnovers. However, no diner would appreciate the hurried feel. That was the biggest turn off and sometimes, if you order extra apart from the omakase, you will have to wait for a long time, one tends to feel they are deliberately trying to drag it out so you will give up and not wait any longer. I did the opposite, I told them, it doesnt matter, I have time to wait!!! The look of the waiter's face was awesome! I had to try hard to keep a straight face. Now, they are really trying to PACE the food!!

So, I think they have to work on this - the pace is very important to complete the full dining experience, afterall, the food is so good it will be a waste to let service drag it down.

• Visited December 2012
Hong Kong
“A nice experience”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My friends picked this place when I was visiting there... and it was one of highlights in Toronto. The sushi was fresh, other dishes were yummy and the staffs were nice. I had such a great time to meet all my friends, and enjoyed great food at the same time. Will def. go there again when I visit Toronto in the future.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank mfu0403
Jacksonville, FL
“Excellent meal”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I went here with family a few weeks ago and we thought it was great! It is a very small location and I definitely recommend making a reservation. We didn't, but lucked out because we got there before the rush (around 5:30). They started to turn people away if they didn't have a reservation shortly after. The sushi was very fresh, and the staff really friendly. It was exactly what we wanted and would definitely go back and recommend to others!

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank kkc904
Toronto, Canada
“Great little hole in the wall”
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Aoyama is definitely on top of my list when I crave good sashimi without the insane prices. The restaurant is located in a small strip mall and is easily missed by their no frills store front. Don't be mislead by their outdated decor as most nights you will find a packed restaurant - reservations only.

When I crave for a variety of food, I would go for their omakase, their multi course set menu. It comes with a salad, sashimi , sushi, lobster tempura, soup and desert. One thing to note about their omakase is that the menu has been the same in all the years I've gone. (Whereas the omakase I've has at other restaurants would change seasonally.). Needless to say, it has not stopped me from ordering it as I know the courses I get will be good.

If I'm not ordering their omakase, I would normally get a large seasonal sashimi platter along with some salads and tempura. They have this amazingly smooth unfiltered sake that goes perfect with the fish. They also have a special on some of their hand rolls when dining in house. Most unique item I enjoyed there was sashimi squid (ika) noodles in a light soy broth. It was delicious!

I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited October 2011