Tripadvisor

Ranked #1,531 of 10,465 Restaurants in Toronto
Neighborhood: Old Toronto
Neighborhood: Old Toronto
Reviewed January 20, 2020

Had deep dish for my first time at new lakeshore/Islington location and it was fantastic! Great addition to the neighborhood Mimico, New Toronto, Longbranch.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (17)

Reviewed November 1, 2019 via mobile

I live in Toronto for two years and this is one of my favorite places to come as a local. Amazing Grace, great playlist, Chicago pizza. Candles, wine, beer, cozy!
Highly recommend!

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed September 14, 2019

We were looking for something a little different, and decided to try Double DS. We (husband, picky daughter and myself) shared a deep dish pizza and a flat crust pizza. Both were really great. The deep dish especially, lots of sauce, lots of cheese, just right crust and great toppings. The staff were really helpful and nice. We would go back in an instant.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed May 7, 2019 via mobile

Visited this restaurant for a pizza-fueled brunch bender with a dear friend. First-time trying Chicago-style deep dish pizza, had no idea what to expect. The pizza was DELICIOUS. The pies are generously sized, dough was soft and crusty in all the right places, EXCELLENT cheese-to-sauce ratio. Come for the pizza, and stay for the service. The owner is super friendly, jovial, and makes great topping recommendations. He very clearly takes pride in his work and goes the extra mile to make the dining experience memorable. He’s also got a good taste in music, great tunes coming through the speakers. I recommend this place 100%. Bring your appetite, and bring your friends!

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed July 4, 2018

Yeah yeah people will write that you shouldn't expect it to be Chicago style pizza. You know why? BECAUSE IT IS NOT. There is something harmonious about that style of pizza you WILL NOT find here which is irrelevant to the city of origin. It's about the quality of the pizza itself. So I will describe to you why you should not eat this pizza independent of the origin of the concept first, and then I will say why it falls down there.

We went to the west end one which is the same owner and by the look of the photos, is the same and if you call to place an order they will ask you which one you mean to order from.

The first time we tried to go there was after school with the kids on a Friday, which if you know Toronto and you know Ossington aka hipster central, is a nightmare. I checked their website and their social media. No mention of BEING CLOSED!!! I had mentally ordered my dinner and was well looking forward to it only to be at the door with two small children and facing a handwritten sign that they had to close from lunch that day.

Redux, a couple of weeks ago, we order it for pick up. We dial the default number on the website and place the order. Hubbo goes to pick up and it's not there. The manager says that the East end one is instructed to ask, which location you want the pizza for. They did not. So they were cool about it and filled the order and hubbo had to go do some window shopping because the west end restaurant is too small for sitting around. So over an hour later, we had our pizza. I should have been worried the second I heard on the phone that it would be ready in less than half an hour. Because given the deep-ness, it should take an hour. That's from baking experience, not geography.

It is a biscuit dough bowl of tomato soup. There's no binding of the contents. The dough is a pie crust style dough, hence the quick cook time and inauthentic style... to pizza not geography. I don't get pizza thinking I'm going to get a pie crust. The sauce was simultaneously BLAND and spicy. They knew that one of the smaller pizzas was for kids but I guess they only have their one default red sauce. (WHICH is extremely loose, like a tomato passata (puree)). It was notably spicy and I love spice But the kids do not. It basically tasted of tomato water with heat. The 'toppings' are actually 'sinkings' as in they put the ingredients on the empty pie crust and then ladel the soup on top. When you cut it, it just basically ooozes out. It is impossible to hold and eat unless you drink the soup first. The crust was tasty but not as a pizza crust. The vegetarian one was VERY VERY VERY meagre on veg. We literally had to hunt for what little there was.

Also because of the short cook time, the sauce is not baked. I'm not sure but it actually looked like the crust was baked with the 'sinkings' and the sauce put on top after it came out of the oven. So in and of itself, it was not good pizza, nor was it good pie nor was it good deep dish pizza.

Now why isn't it classic Chicago style deep dish pizza. There, the pie is baked for a long time and the whole of it comes together something like a lasagna. It's baked with raw dough and meat but it cooks through and together. It's not this pie, cookie style dough either. Also it's usually far more abundant than Double D's on the ingredients.

The management were understanding and kind in the phone mishap. I will give them that.

I would not recommend the food.Oh, which is quite pricey as well.... You're looking at like 30 bucks for a 10" pizza, all in.

Date of visit: June 2018