“competitive location”

Sidecar Bar and Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Sidecar Bar and Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #410 of 8,477 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Little Italy
Cross street: Bathurst St.
“competitive location”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Yes ! Another lovely summery fall evening & I really did want to check out the patio . Despite the fact that it really wasn't open , the server "Deb " went out of her way and did offer me the patio ( although I was dining solo . )
She also made me feel very welcome , did not rush me , and tried to find a particular style of wine ( preference being a full bodied sauvignon ) .
Dinner choice- short rib pasta tasty , although a touch greasy too .
Tables inside are close and a little narrow , & somewhat of an open kitchen .
Window table facing College Street would be nice to people watch .
My thinking is -- if just strolling around " little Italy " , there are so very many options to choose from , and Sidecar does not pretend to be Italian , so what would the lure be ?
This particular evening there was an expected party of 17 , so obviously Sidecar does have its following .

Next statement I do realize is contradictory .

Overall I am glad that I finally got to check it out , but given all the other competition in the area I probably would just want to try something different , however the fixe prix menu does sound inviting and appears to be a great value Sunday thru Wednesday .

• Visited October 2013

Toronto
“Great Spot”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

A cute little bistro with great food at great prices. My husband and I have been a number of times and we're never disappointed. Our table is always ready when we arrive, the food is really is always great and we've never had bad service here. It's got a nice quiet ambiance that is great for a dinner for two or four. If you're looking for a loud group dinner, I'd suggest somewhere else since this restaurant is fairly small.
The drink list is cute, and has some different drinks on it. The food is really moderately priced for fine dining and while we've tried most things on the menu, I'd highly suggest the steak frites and the salmon. We've never been disappointed with the fresh oysters either!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Kim H
Toronto, Canada
“Lovely place. Great service and really good eats.”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I went to Sidecar on a Monday night with a friend in an effort to try a middle-of-the-road date spot; something not ultra fancy like Scaramouche or Canoe, but not a dive either. Enter Sidecar.
The place's decor was very nice, with a well situated and not-overly large bar. The tables were also comfortable and well spaced out; the booths were comfortable too. The real show stopper though is the backdoor patio. It's very well decorated, and the tables are sturdy and beautiful. We didn't last very long outside as it was cold, and we ended up going inside after finishing our appetizers.

The food was very, very good. We ordered three appetizers: The Buffalo Mozzarella, the Carpaccio, and the Sidecar salad. All three were delicious; and I'm not a big salad fan. The buffalo mozzarella won the prize though; the freshly made pesto and the quality of the cheese itself is at least on par with some of the 5-star Italian restos around town.

I went with the $25 prix fixe dinner with the bottle of Uma white wine (Argentina) based on the recommendation of our server, Aiden. He described it PERFECTLY. The prix fixe menu is a bargain, because all the items on the menu are what I would have chosen for my dishes anyway.
I went with the Steak Frites (sans frites, mind you, opting for boiled asparagus instead). I wasn't asked how I liked my steak, which I thought was odd, but to my luck, they brought it out medium rare, which is how I like it. It was a risky move to say the least. The steak was very tasty, if over-salted. I can see how someone wouldn't like it very much given how salty it was.

The flourless chocolate cake was also very good; rich and creamy and HEAVY. The portion size was perfect, and I think any larger portions would result in a stomach ache; that's how heavy it is. It wasn't the BEST DESSERT EVER, but it was definitely more than I expected for such a good bargain.

The staff were all great and very responsive. If you have the chance to be seated with Aiden, go for it. He's pleasant, and made all the right recommendations. All in all, I would come back to this place time and again.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Fayez E
Brooklyn, New York
“yum”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Very good food, nice environment, excellent service! My husband enjoyed the fixed price Tuesday night dinner, and we were really, really pleased. The wine special available with the limited menu was delicious and married well with the food. The space is a little cramped, but since we did not have a reservation, we couldn't really complain, could we?

Visited August 2013
Toronto
“All around great restaurant”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Unpretentious and adult ambiance with 3 distinctly different (all fabulous) dining areas. Main restaurant - sophisticated yet unassuming, patio - private and homey, upstairs speakeasy - sexy and slow-mo.
Food has always been great (and you can't beat their Sunday-Wednesday $25.00 prix-fixe deal)

• Visited August 2013