“Lovely place. Great service and really good eats.”

Sidecar Bar and Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Sidecar Bar and Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #319 of 8,648 Restaurants in Toronto
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Little Italy
Cross street: Bathurst St.
Toronto, Canada
“Lovely place. Great service and really good eats.”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I went to Sidecar on a Monday night with a friend in an effort to try a middle-of-the-road date spot; something not ultra fancy like Scaramouche or Canoe, but not a dive either. Enter Sidecar.
The place's decor was very nice, with a well situated and not-overly large bar. The tables were also comfortable and well spaced out; the booths were comfortable too. The real show stopper though is the backdoor patio. It's very well decorated, and the tables are sturdy and beautiful. We didn't last very long outside as it was cold, and we ended up going inside after finishing our appetizers.

The food was very, very good. We ordered three appetizers: The Buffalo Mozzarella, the Carpaccio, and the Sidecar salad. All three were delicious; and I'm not a big salad fan. The buffalo mozzarella won the prize though; the freshly made pesto and the quality of the cheese itself is at least on par with some of the 5-star Italian restos around town.

I went with the $25 prix fixe dinner with the bottle of Uma white wine (Argentina) based on the recommendation of our server, Aiden. He described it PERFECTLY. The prix fixe menu is a bargain, because all the items on the menu are what I would have chosen for my dishes anyway.
I went with the Steak Frites (sans frites, mind you, opting for boiled asparagus instead). I wasn't asked how I liked my steak, which I thought was odd, but to my luck, they brought it out medium rare, which is how I like it. It was a risky move to say the least. The steak was very tasty, if over-salted. I can see how someone wouldn't like it very much given how salty it was.

The flourless chocolate cake was also very good; rich and creamy and HEAVY. The portion size was perfect, and I think any larger portions would result in a stomach ache; that's how heavy it is. It wasn't the BEST DESSERT EVER, but it was definitely more than I expected for such a good bargain.

The staff were all great and very responsive. If you have the chance to be seated with Aiden, go for it. He's pleasant, and made all the right recommendations. All in all, I would come back to this place time and again.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Fayez E

Brooklyn, New York
“yum”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Very good food, nice environment, excellent service! My husband enjoyed the fixed price Tuesday night dinner, and we were really, really pleased. The wine special available with the limited menu was delicious and married well with the food. The space is a little cramped, but since we did not have a reservation, we couldn't really complain, could we?

Visited August 2013
Toronto
“All around great restaurant”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Unpretentious and adult ambiance with 3 distinctly different (all fabulous) dining areas. Main restaurant - sophisticated yet unassuming, patio - private and homey, upstairs speakeasy - sexy and slow-mo.
Food has always been great (and you can't beat their Sunday-Wednesday $25.00 prix-fixe deal)

• Visited August 2013
Toronto, Canada
“PRIXE FIXE”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Myself and 3 other girlfriends tried this restaurant for the first time a few weeks ago. We sat in the back patio and as it was a little chilly, the waitress offered us light blankets which were very much appreciated as we wanted to stay outdoors.

The meal was very good - I had the steak and frites and it was cooked perfectly. All in all it was an enjoyable evening.

• Visited July 2013
Toronto
“Nice patio, Ok food”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The patio tacked in the back of this little restaurant on College is its the best feature. It evokes old-world charm - climbing plants, wooden tables, palantine...The service is polite, but inpersonal, the food... hit and miss. The mushroom soup was good, as were the fries and the salads, but the star of the plate - the steak was so-so at best. One thing everyone at our table of six noticed: the cooks at Sidecar are not too shy with the salt. Everything, absolutly everything was oversalted. Thankfully, the waiter came around with the water refills every 5 minutes.
Regardless of how you've ordered it, all our steaks were medium rare. Could feel a strong pepper aftertaste too. All in all, not the worst steak I ever ate, but not the best either.
The dish that almost killed the dinner for me was the flourless tarte. Its tasted as if a ball of butter (margarine, maybe?) married a big chunk of baking chocolade. Not sexy.

• Visited August 2013