“Amazing food from a nice lady”
Review of Karine's

Karine's
Ranked #325 of 8,847 Restaurants in Toronto
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

The food here is amazing. Breakfast and lebanese-esque food with quality rivaling gourmet restaurants but a price range everyone can afford, meals range between $5 to $11 including tax but not including a drink. Many vegan, vegetarian and gluten free options, freshly squeezed juice. An unexpected gem in an otherwise tacky food court next to the ago (art gallery of ontario). $6 parking available below same building on weekends.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

I recently popped in at the food court in the Village on the Grange after a visit to the AGO, and was happy to find a mostly vegan restaurant offering all-day breakfast at great prices! I was going to have a waffle (around $11), but the cheap in me decided to go with the vegan French toast ($5, including tax!). I was pleased with the quality and texture of the French toast, and it came with some fresh fruit (melons and oranges, if I remember correctly. I'd requested any fresh pineapple be omitted since I'm allergic). Meals are served on melamine plates rather than disposable, which is cool for a food court! Water with fresh strawberries floating in it was in a help-yourself jug on the crowded counter along with various condiments, including syrup. Staff was very friendly. I'd definitely go again if I was ever in the neighbourhood again!

Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stumbled upon this cute little restaurant one morning after applying for a visa from a local consulate. A twenty something with a red 50's retro head band was text'ing on a "victorian" couch behind the counter. What? We were surprised and impressed at the same time. This place has character, let's buy something to eat.

We ordered two #1 breakfasts: two eggs, lots of bacon, garlic fries (and I mean a sharp garlic taste), organic toast and fresh fruit for only 5 bucks. When it was ready, we were surprised to see our plate was filled with food in multiple colours. The eggs were cooked exactly the way we asked, crispy bacon, lightly toasted multigrain bread as well as slices of oranges, pineapple and strawberries.

This place is run by a multitude of generations from the same family. We counted grandmom, Mother and 2 daughters and all wearing colourful hair bands in retro 50's style. They greeted every customer with a big smile and enthusiasm. Although the restaurant is situated inside the Grange, they decorated it with artsy touches. They use real ceramic plates, stainless steel ware and glasses for strawberry water. When we visited a second time, a few weeks later on the weekend, we found the tables covered with tablecloths and a vase of flowers. The coffee was good but on the mild side. For $5 you can't go wrong. If you are really hungry then splurge and upgrade your plate to supreme.

You can't miss it. It's right across from the OCAD.

1  Thank Yuensum
Reviewed April 28, 2012

One thing about Karine's is for certain - they are busy and for good reason. They provide personal, gracious and welcoming service alongside their hearty vegan breakfast fare. We were only in Toronto for 3 days and ate there for breakfast twice - we should've went three times. Portions are big, fresh fruit is included with everything and when mom is there you can count on a spirited and very genuine welcome. Don't expect 5 stars just go because you like good, hearty simple food and appreciate people have that work their butts off to earn your business.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Neat set up in a good location. I was excited to try it because it looked so cute and has a great concept. Unfortunately, overall the service and food were terrible! We went for a mid-week breakfast. There were a few people ahead of us but it was not busy by any means. They took our order and assured us several times that coffee would be ready soon, except that it wasn't. They kept forgetting to brew it and spent time making sugar decorations instead. Our food was ready before the coffee was ever brewed. The food itself looked much better than it tasted. I got the breakfast special & my husband got the big breakfast special. The bacon was nasty (no other word to describe it), undercooked and curled up. Avoid it! The garlic fries were ok (soggy and greasy) but the pancake was terrible. It was so greasy that it made me feel sick all day long. I normally never complain about greasy food but this was just awful. On a positive, the fruit was good and flavourful would NEVER return there and would highly discourage anyone else to visit. Being hip and trendy does not excuse bad food.

1  Thank AnitaDK