“Cool, artistic and delicious”
Review of Karine's

Karine's
Ranked #446 of 8,512 Restaurants in Toronto
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Toronto
“Cool, artistic and delicious”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stumbled upon this cute little restaurant one morning after applying for a visa from a local consulate. A twenty something with a red 50's retro head band was text'ing on a "victorian" couch behind the counter. What? We were surprised and impressed at the same time. This place has character, let's buy something to eat.

We ordered two #1 breakfasts: two eggs, lots of bacon, garlic fries (and I mean a sharp garlic taste), organic toast and fresh fruit for only 5 bucks. When it was ready, we were surprised to see our plate was filled with food in multiple colours. The eggs were cooked exactly the way we asked, crispy bacon, lightly toasted multigrain bread as well as slices of oranges, pineapple and strawberries.

This place is run by a multitude of generations from the same family. We counted grandmom, Mother and 2 daughters and all wearing colourful hair bands in retro 50's style. They greeted every customer with a big smile and enthusiasm. Although the restaurant is situated inside the Grange, they decorated it with artsy touches. They use real ceramic plates, stainless steel ware and glasses for strawberry water. When we visited a second time, a few weeks later on the weekend, we found the tables covered with tablecloths and a vase of flowers. The coffee was good but on the mild side. For $5 you can't go wrong. If you are really hungry then splurge and upgrade your plate to supreme.

You can't miss it. It's right across from the OCAD.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Yuensum

George Town, Grand Cayman
“Enthusiastic, spirited and welcoming owner/operators providing good simple vegan grub in an artist-friendly food court.”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

One thing about Karine's is for certain - they are busy and for good reason. They provide personal, gracious and welcoming service alongside their hearty vegan breakfast fare. We were only in Toronto for 3 days and ate there for breakfast twice - we should've went three times. Portions are big, fresh fruit is included with everything and when mom is there you can count on a spirited and very genuine welcome. Don't expect 5 stars just go because you like good, hearty simple food and appreciate people have that work their butts off to earn your business.

“Yuck!!”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Neat set up in a good location. I was excited to try it because it looked so cute and has a great concept. Unfortunately, overall the service and food were terrible! We went for a mid-week breakfast. There were a few people ahead of us but it was not busy by any means. They took our order and assured us several times that coffee would be ready soon, except that it wasn't. They kept forgetting to brew it and spent time making sugar decorations instead. Our food was ready before the coffee was ever brewed. The food itself looked much better than it tasted. I got the breakfast special & my husband got the big breakfast special. The bacon was nasty (no other word to describe it), undercooked and curled up. Avoid it! The garlic fries were ok (soggy and greasy) but the pancake was terrible. It was so greasy that it made me feel sick all day long. I normally never complain about greasy food but this was just awful. On a positive, the fruit was good and flavourful would NEVER return there and would highly discourage anyone else to visit. Being hip and trendy does not excuse bad food.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank AnitaDK
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
“All day vegan breakfast!”
Reviewed September 13, 2011

My husband and I had breakfast/lunch here after our one night stay in Toronto. I was so excited to be able to order vegan French toast that I forgot to specify which topping I wanted. And I wasn't asked. So I was a little (well more than a little) disappointed that it came out with strawberries and strawberry syrup on top...I had wanted maple syrup. Aside from not having maple syrup, the French toast could have been cooked a little bit more. It also came with a lot of fresh fruit on the plate and the coffee was good.

My husband ordered the vegan burger in a wrap with a side of garlic fries, some fresh fruit was also on his plate. His vegan burger was very tasty and the fries were delicious.

Karine's is located inside a building (along with many other food court type restaurants) that is directly across the street from an art school. There were many students about and Karine's was the busiest place by far.

• Visited September 2011
Toronto
“Perfect weekend brunch - or everyday hangout”
Reviewed June 27, 2011

There aren't enough compliments I can give to the food and the people who run this Toronto gem. I only discovered this place after people from my work kept talking about the "cool, hippie place" in the Grange. The food is always fresh, always delicious and the people just want to make food to make their customers happy.
My regular is their All Day Breakfast Special which for $5 is IMHO the best deal you can get in this area. For $5 you get bacon or sausage, 2 eggs, 2 piece of toast, regular fries/garlic fries and a heaping pile of fresh fruit depending on the season. Watermelon, papaya, dragon fruit, honey dew, canteloupe, strawberries....we're talking real fruit here not just apples and oranges.
I also love their Eggs Benny almost more than I love my mother's cooking. The peameal bacon that they use isn't like most others, it's a thick, crispy slice of meat with amazing flavour that goes just perfect with their hollandaise sauce. I disagree with people who complain about their hollandaise sauce. It tastes different than other versions because it doesn't come out of a jar - it's their own homemade kind that isn't artificial tasting.
And seriously, I can't say enough about their garlic fries. Crispy on the outside, hot on the inside, and I'm the kind of person who loves their fries with a little bit more crisp and crunch so it bodes well. If you're not big on garlic then stay away...far far away because they load their fries with garlic like white on rice.
I hope this place never shuts down, and it would lose all of its charm if they ever opened another one. Thankyou so much for creating a wonderful positive space with fresh and delicious food!

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank canadian_bot

Been to Karine's? Share your experiences!