“Great Location, but not the best HGI I've stayed at”

Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Downtown
Ranked #38 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I usually like Hilton Garden Inn's as they tend to be new and have a fabulous breakfast spread. This particular location was the first time that I was not comped free breakfast vouchers as a frequent guest and had to ask for them. My biggest issue was that I reserved a room with two beds well in advance and arrived to be told I had a room with one bed. The staff did send us a free cot, but for the price we were paying we should have each had a bed. Otherwise, great location for going to the Blue Jays game or the CN tower. Nice pool facilities.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,534)

Reviewed August 21, 2010

The hotel is situated in Entertainment District with lots of bars, restaurants and clubs nearby. However, unlike one of the other reviewers, we had no trouble with high loise level on the weekend - the reason might be that our room faced the back of the hotel - in front of the hotel there is a night club.
The bedroom as well as the bathroom were very clean, of a good size and equipped with modern amenities. The very comfortable bed was a highlight.
We also used the indoor pool (pool length 10 m) which is on the same floor as the breakfast room - the pool area is clean but has a very basic feel (e.g. there are no changing rooms, which is a bit impractical since there are no bathrobes in the rooms).
The reception staff was very friendly and efficient. Free use of internet is available in a separated room (small business centre) in the lobby, where you can also have coffee or water.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tapetenwechsler
Reviewed August 17, 2010

We were so pleased with this hotel that we stayed an extra night! We liked so many thinga about this Hilton, but probably the best is LOCATION. We were able to walk to everything in Toronto. That said, the rooms were wery nice and a good size for a city hotel. Having the refridgerator and microwave is essential for us when traveling with our kids - so that was a plus. The hotel seemed to have a balance of families, business, foreign tour bus groups and couple travelers. It was also VERY quiet. The beds are firm but the pillows are soft (perfect combo for me). The valet parking service guys are really nice and rest assured your car will be safe. OKAY, LASTLY - - BREAKFAST IS AWESOME. Pool/Hot Tub isn't much to write home about.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Great hotel! Excellent location! We could see the CN tower from our room.
Bathroom very clean. However the carpet in the room had 2 stains. Since we never walk bare feet on the carpet and the rest was clean, I assumed it had been cleaned but it didn't come off.
We were allowed to check in a couple of hours earlier which helped us a lot (to drop off the luggage).
Wireless internet was complimentary in the room which is great.
There was a little noise in the adjacent rooms, walls are paper-thin as in most hotels.
Recommended!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2010

This hotel is located right next door and across from 2 nightclubs. From 11:00 to 3:00 a.m. it is full of young people outside the hotel, in the lobby, making it difficult to get to your room. Young people obviously choose this hotel to stay at so we had to contend with a LOT of drunkeness in the hallways waking us up on more than one occasion. At closing time, there was a fight outside our hotel in the street and a near riot ensued where police needed to be called (all of which kept us up for another 45 mins. DO NOT PARK across the street (a lot of action occurs there at night) pay the hefty $35 valet, which parks in the basesment.
The hotel itself is great but I wouldn't stay there on Thur, Fri or Sat because of this, which is too bad, because the location to the theatre district is great and the breakfast was the best any hotel has to offer.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I spent 3 nights at this hotel last month for business and happened to come in during a city wide power outage. The temperatures were very high and the hotel was great offering guests free bottles of waters and cookies upon check in. They were accomodating taking peoples bags to put in a holding room while the elevators were down. I chose to walk the stairs up to the 6th floor room and relax while we waited for the power to come back on and they were very helpful to guide me to the proper areas of the hotel.

The room was clean, large and comfortable with all amenities including a fridge and microwave.

My biggest downfall was the breakfast offered at the hotel. I paid the full posted price for breakfast in the restaurant which was $19. All I had was french toast and home fries with a milk. It seemed that whether I had a full course breakfast or just a piece of fruit it was the same price. That was the only meal I ate at the hotel due to the extravagant pricing.

Other than that I would recommend the hotel. It was a great location for where I needed to be.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 27, 2010

The staff of this hotel were welcoming, helpful and very friendly. The hotel was sleek and clean. Location was perfect for walking around the city. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo