“Decent Stay”

Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Downtown
Ranked #38 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed December 25, 2012

The location has alot of amenities and entertainment nearby which people like. I did not like the location because it was too busy and was very stressful getting to and leaving the hotel. Also the neighborhood didn`t seem very safe to me. However, the hotel had security and police at the doors during the evening when we came in so that me feel safer in the area. Also they had underground valet parking so again I felt safe leaving my car with the hotel. It cost $40.00 per night to park your car.

When we checked in, we requested a room on a higher floor or away from the nightclub that was next door. They were able to do that for us no problem, which was nice. They had to send us to 2 different rooms though, the first room was not cleaned up yet from the previous guests. It was easy enough to be changed to a different room though. We stayed on the 17th floor on the same side of the nightclub, but because we were so high up the nightclub did not bother us at all. We had a good sleep without any disturbance from the nightclub. People walking through the hallways were a bit loud though.

The resteraunt serves good food. We found the prices a bit high, but we enjoyed the food. On the morning of our check out we went downstairs for breakfast but the debt machine wasn't working. They gave us our breakfast for free which we found was a very nice gesture on their part. We left the hotel on a good note.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the opposite side of the nightclub, or on a higher floor (Floor 11 - 17)
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 24, 2012

This is actually a really great hotel but the nightclubs adjacaent make this hotel a bit of a problem. The location is fine, the price is right, the rooms are ok and the beds are actually fab, juts the noise at night makes this hotel instead of a fabulous hotel an averiage hotel.
But... if you find a room on the side of Peter street high enough, you will sleep great and you will enjoy the hotel!

Room Tip: rooms on the side of Pter street on a high level will give the least problems with the noise at nigh...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2012

The location is terrific for a Blue Jays game or the CN Tower (3 blocks south) and good for anything else in downtown Toronto. You will be located about 15 minutes (walking) from the central core of Toronto (5 blocks east) and many of the major live theatres. The rooms are a very good size and have all the basics (not luxurious), but the inclusion of a microwave was different. There is a fitness center and free WIFI. There are plenty of restaurants on King Street, which is a half block away. The huge plus is you will save at least $100 over a slightly more central hotel without sacrificing any of the basic necessities. There are also plenty of taxis outside the front door.

So if you can walk a few extra blocks, you will have it made in the shade!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are probably a bit better, but there are no views worth asking for in Toront...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JohnS1952
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn with my wife and two kids (17 & 19) for an extended weekend of Blue Jays baseball. The hotel is in a good location for downtown activities and only 0.5k from the Rogers Center. My wife had arranged for early checkin (as opposed to regular checkin at 3pm) prior to us arriving as we were going to be in Toronto mid morning but we were told our room was not ready. We did not get to checkin until 3pm. They did store our luggage for us until then.

The hotel is very nice, staff were friendly. The rooms were large enough to accomodate the 4 of us comfortably. The room had a microwave and fridge which was very convenient. The beds were very comfortable. Everything was clean. Our only complaint was the noise from the street and bar (The Tryst) next to the hotel. My wife is a light sleeper and the noise from the bar crowd kept her up quite late.

We had breakfast included with our stay. The food (once we got it) was very good. I have an allergy and requested an omelet without this particular food item but it came with it. Good thing I noticed!

All in all and very nice hotel just don't expect the 'extra' services (ie: early checkin) that they say are available. Because it was clean, the location was great, and the beds very comfortable, we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that is not facing Peter Street or the bar on the south side. Very noisy.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Overbord
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed a Sunday night through Hotwire. There's a Shoppers Drug Mart and Tim Horton's at the corner. Didn't need parking, but there was a surface lot across the street if onsite valet was too pricy. Much construction in the area. Saw the divey bar next door, but on a Sun night - no problem.

Check-in was prompt. Our room had the 2 beds as requested. Good sized room for being a newer property. Convenient having the microwave, coffeemaker and bar fridge in a small cupboard area near the bathroom. Comfortable beds with white bedding, standard room decor and finishes. Good bathroom.

Taxis waiting for business out front in the morning. Didn't get a chance to see pool/fitness. Enjoyed the evening fresh cookies at the front desk. Great price; would definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I booked into this hotel for 20 nights, as part of a business trip to Toronto. It is well located within walking distance of the places I needed to visit.

However, the hotel was expensive, and I was dip pointed that despite the cost per night, my room was only serviced about 50% of the time. Half the time I would return to find the bed still unmade, and even on days when the bed was made, the toiletries and coffee had not been replenished.

On one evening I ordered room service, just an evening meal and a single glass of wine. A delivery charge AND a gratuity charge were added to my bill, and when the meal was delivered, the woman stood looking at me, presumably expecting a THIRD supplementary charge to be given to her?

Overall, not an enjoyable stay, but one which left me feeling as though I was being held hostage and slowly robbed of my hard earned dollars.

There was no spa facility available. Oh, wait, apparently there was, but I was not made aware of this until the day before I left. There was no hotel breakfast either, unless you booked in for it and (once again) paid even more money for the privilege.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Darren R
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed here during Grey Cup Week. Everything about it was great. The rooms were very clean, elevators were extremely quick, and the hotel was quiet (other than when a bunch of guys got kicked out for being too loud). The hotel staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Especially Krystyna, (I think that was her name but I could be wrong) who helped us check in after an early flight, Joey, who gave us a lot of info about cabs to the airport, and Mark, for booking us a cab to the airport the early morning we left. The restaurant was a bit pricey but was worth it.

I strongly recommend this hotel for anyone. It is in the heart of downtown Toronto and everything is close by. I'll certainly be staying here again if I come back to Toronto.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family