“Good except for wifi”

Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Downtown
Ranked #38 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

Good location and nice place. However wifi in room was non existent. I will return in future if good wifi in room can be assured. This is especially important for working trips. Room was clean and staff were friendly.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank WCUcody
hgitdgm, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Dear WCUcody,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the tripadvisor world. I'm so glad to see that you enjoyed our hotel and found our staff to be friendly. I apologize sincerely for the poor wifi you experienced. I can assure you, we are working on a solution (and have made great strides in recent months with regards to the internet speed here), and hope to be able to provide even better internet service in the near future.

Thank you again for your time, I hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future

Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,551)

Reviewed August 13, 2012

This hotel is well located downtown Toronto near the CN tower. Rooms are spacious, nice and clean. Overall this place is great, but be prepared to pay for the parking, which according to me is really expensive (40$/night) if you don't want to be surprised as I've been. The service at the lounge wasn't really good (no drink menu available, very very long service...) but the desk was friendly.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
hgitdgm, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Dear Emilie G,

Thank you very much for your review - the feedback is greatly appreciated and always shared with our team. I have noted your comments about the slow service and lack of menu in the bar, and will pass them on to the appropriate individual.

I'm glad you were pleased with our location - it's definitely one of our biggest assets!
We hope to welcome you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

My husband and I spent 2 nights early August at this hotel. We had a pleasant stay. The staff was very friendly. We had great help at the front desk and all our questions were answered patiently and courteously. They booked our 'hop on/hop off' bus tour. Our housekeeper (I believe her name is Namya) was excellent. I asked for extra coffee and she not only put 2 more pouches, but also extra creamer. The room was clean with free wifi. Parking is a bit expensive but we were in downtown Toronto. The hotel is well located, within walking distance to a lot of attractions.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear LanYin,

Thank you for such a great review! It's so nice to see when guests notice and take the time to point out the little gestures our team makes in order to ensure our guests an enjoyable stay with us.
I'm glad you had a chance to do the hop-on, hop-off tour - it certainly is a favourite of our guests!
Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback, I hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

This is a great hotel in Toronto. Short cab ride or medium walk to the CN Tower. Clean, nice rooms and great bar/lounge scene. Good breakfast. Parking situation, with valet a little furstrating when trying to leave at rush hour for business and need to wait for someone to retrieve your car. Other than that, this is a great hotel. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 3, 2012

The hotel staff members are quite mean. Seriously. My husband and I paid for 2 nights (we paid even before we got there). I got there before my husband, but my husband had called and told them that I would arrive first, around 5, while he would arrive at Midnight. He was coming from NY and I from Montreal. Once, I got there, I explained that my hubby had called and said I'll be there first, they then refused to let me in without my hubby. At the time that they refuse to let me in it was 7:00 pm, my hubby wasn't going to get to the hotel until midnight, so I said to them what do you expect me to do from now until midnight. This was only my 2nd time in Toronto and I didn't know where to go. All they said was, we're sorry, but we can't let you in. HORRIBLE. I am going to call the Hilton head office to file a complaint

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Candace C
hgitdgm, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Dear Candace C,

First and foremost I apologize sincerely for the way that your situation was handled. Since you phoned the hotel in advance to advise us that you would be arriving before your husband, there is no excuse for us not taking note of that and ensuring you a seamless arrival. I can assure you that this feedback has been addressed with our entire front desk team, and they are all aware that it is not acceptable. In general, for safety and security reasons, we do not allow someone to check into a hotel room unless their name is specifically listed on the reservation, but there are times when we need to 'think outside the box', and this clearly did not happen in your case. I welcome the opportunity to talk to you directly, and I hope you will contact me at the hotel.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

My husband and I were coming to town for the Toronto Festival of Beer. I am a Hilton Honors member so we always look to stay at Hilton brand hotels. This seemed like a better option than the other Hilton Garden Inn in town because reviewers complained about that location.

Check in was slow -- it seems like the front desk staff doesn't do well with lines. Still, they were polite and helpful whenever we needed them. The little market in the lobby is a ripoff, but I'm sure you probably didn't need me to tell you. The business center is located in the lobby and is well-stocked. Wifi worked well and without any password.

The room was clean and attractive. It was a good size for a hotel room in the downtown area of a major city. We heard some stree noise, but no more than one would expect staying in the downtown area of a major city. The air conditioning worked very well -- it wasn't noisy, and when we lowered it because it was too cold, the room temperature became more comfortable. That's more than I can say for a lot of hotel air conditioners.

The hotel offered free cookies in the lobby, which was a nice touch. We had free breakfast at the hotel's restaurant. It is self-service with made to order hot food. The food was about on par with other hotel breakfasts, so I doubt we would have gone there if it wasn't free. The exception is the breakfast potatoes -- really great!

The fitness room is better than average -- it's in a nice space with gym-quality cardio machines. I feel like many hotels stick some cheap equipment in a windowless room and call it a day. The pool was okay -- it's an indoor pool which is less appealing in the summer, but I'll bet it's a great benefit in the cooler weather. I also liked the whirlpool.

The location of the hotel was great. We were able to walk to the CN Tower, Hockey Hall of Fame, Kensington Market, the University of Toronto and the Bata Shoe Museum. If we got tired and didn't feel like walking back, it was easy enough to get back via public transportation. There are also lots of options for shopping and eating on nearby King St. and Queen St. Also, there is a bus service that stops on the corner of Peter and King that takes you to the airport. This saved us about $20 on our return trip!

There is a wall of coupons by the elevator. I didn't expect to find anything useful, but we actually used a lot of coupons from the wall. One was for the aforementioned airport express bus. There were also coupons for the Bata Shoe Museum (buy one get one admission), Hockey Hall of Fame (free gift), Cora (a nearby breakfast/lunch place -- you must check it out) and Blue Banana at the Kensington Market (a cute gift shop). This was a very nice touch.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank melhojo
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I was a bit worried about staying at the Hilton Garden Inn - Downtown Toronto - because of some of the reviews that mentioned it was adjacent to a loud club frequented by hundreds of loud and drunken young people, particularly on weekends. But it seemed like a good value and in a good location, so we went with it.

What a terrific surprise! A beautiful (looks brand new) hotel in a great location. Just a couple blocks to Rogers Centre in one direction, two or three blocks to either King Street or Queen Street with all the restaurants, bars and shops. We even walked to central downtown (City Hall, Eaton Centre) in only 15 minutes, and we're in our late 50's. To us, the location was almost perfect as we were going to see the Blue Jays play at Rogers Centre, but as it turned out the hotel was in a really great location for just about anything downtown.

Our room was a beautiful king room. Clean and wonderful. The room was spotless, including no fingerprints or other markings on the surfaces of either the desk, end tables, dresser or small "kitchen" unit that held a microwave, fridge and coffee makers. Tasteful dark granite was used on top of most of the furniture, and also on the counter in the *beautiful* bathroom. There was no tub, but rather a 28" x 5' shower - beautifully tiled floor to ceiling with a sliding glass tower.

Check in was a breeze and check out was just a touch of a button on the room phone.

We paid $35.00 to park in a lot just across the street as the hotel lot was full, but the price was the same as the hotel and it was *literally* across the street - no hassle.

As for the area being noisy and the nightclub itself: The area was very populated with foot traffic and young people, but the hotel was very, very quiet. We were on a relatively high floor in room 1402, and our friends were on the 9th floor. We all were pleased to find the noise no factor at all. Very quiet both inside and out. Air conditioning worked like a dream and added just enough ambient nose to block out the few car horns or exceptionally loud voices (outside) that might otherwise have been heard in the room.

Free WI-FI in the rooms that worked fast and required no passwords or other aggravating login requirements.

No breakfast provided (not sure if they even have a restaurant) and we didn't check the pool or fitness area so cannot offer any comment.

We paid $165.00 per night (all taxes and fees included) using a senior AARP rate. I think the price would have been $189.00 or thereabouts without the discount. Great bargain and hundreds of dollars less than other hotels in the same area that I checked.

All in all, a wonderful stay in a very convenient location. Two thumbs up!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank dwzemens
hgitdgm, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Dear dwzemens,

Thank you very much for your fabulous feedback! I am so pleased to hear that we were able to successfully accommodate you in a quiet room. I know you were concerned about street and club noise, and I'm glad we were able to keep you away from that. We are always so pleased when our guests feel they got great value with our product, and by the way - we do have a full restaurant in the hotel, called the Marquis Lounge and Bistro. We serve a delicious full, cooked-to-order buffet breakfast in the mornings. Next time you stay with us, be sure to check it out.

Once again, thank you very much for your great feedback, I hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future. Safe Travels!