“Great location and nice hotel”

Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Downtown
Ranked #38 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed July 7, 2012

And fairly new Garden Inn which is at the center of the entertainment district. I had read the reviews from other guests and was aware of the noise factor. So we asked for a room facing west which is at the opposite side of the noisy Peter street where the younger crowd will be bar hopping. So overall, we had a great experience. The room was new and clean with typical Garden Inn decoration. The parking is expensive but that's the case with all downtown hotels.
We had good service I.e. Fast check-in and check-out (which are the only thing that I need...my smartphone does the rest). I also appreciated the free Wifi with good performance.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,534)

Reviewed July 6, 2012

This is not my first review for this hotel, however it will be my last as I will not be staying here anymore. As per the review below, I had a coupon for this hotel and decided to redeem it on the night of June 30th 2012. I booked the room a month in advance and spoke with a lady named Sasha. I stated that I would like a room for FOUR people and she said it would not be a problem. Before booking I let her know that I had a coupon and she said that it was fine and to just bring it with me at check in. I did so and found out at check in that the room was booked for 2 people. I went on to speak with Kayla at the front desk and she informed me that I must show her my confirmation. Since I booked a month in advance the email was way back in my inbox and took a while for me to get it. When I finally pulled it up it was unclear how many guests the room was for. Kayla refused to believe that I had booked my room for 4 people and insisted that she charge me for however many extra guests. I gave her the name of the employee I spoke with and asked her to call her and Kayla rudely rolled her eyes and said "she's off today". I stated that I have stayed at the hotel before and if I wanted to cheat them out of $20 I would have just snuck in my extra guests. Instead I wanted to clear up the misunderstanding before I even got to my room. After much back and forth she once again rolled her eyes and said " Fine this time I will let it go but I'm just letting you know next time you will have to pay" . This was quite upsetting as I was made to feel as though I was a cheater when in fact this was an error made on the hotel's part not mine! At this point another employee got involved and basically attempted to blame us for the error. I have never felt so HARASSED in my life. I have stayed at many hotels all over the world and many hotels in the downtown toronto core and have never been treated so poorly. I understand that there may have been instances where people cheat and sneak others in, but by being so suspicious of everyone you chase away honest customers all in the name of $20. A better way to have handled this would have been to evaluate the issue, improve the flow of communication so this issue can be avoided in the future and give the customer the benefit of the doubt. I would also strongly suggest you retrain your front desk associates in customer service. You only embarass and lose your honest customers by taking such an acusatory tone. I am thoroughly disappointed as I did not associate such poor service with the Hilton brand. If management would like to further clarify the issues I had I would really appreciate an email address or telephone number to reach them.

Room Tip: Be sure to take down the name of the employee you book with and write down ALL details.
7  Thank bebeloz
Reviewed July 4, 2012

My sister booked a room this past weekend. When booking she ensured the room was for FOUR people and had two queen size beds. Just to be sure, she noted the staff person's name and time she spoke to her. Of course, at check-in a different staff person says the room is only for two people and any additional guest would be charged. Kayla, was RUDE and treated us like liars. We told her we have the person's name who said having 4 guests is charge-free but she refused to call her. She demanded to see our confirmation which for some reason had no guest number on it just '1 client'- which never would have been the case if we asked for TWO QUEEN BEDS- another mistake by the hotel which they blamed on us. Finally, she included 4 guests, however with a very 'I'm doing you a favour' attitude. At this point, we were quite upset and she then threatned to again take off the discount (reinterating the fact that she is doing us a favour). If you are having problems with guests sneaking in too many people in rooms please have a CLEAR policiy and don't ASSUME honest guests are liars. It wasn't our fault the initial person who booked us made an error or else we would never have booked with your hotel. We were regular customers, however will NEVER come back to this hotel and would rather pay MORE than to be treated like criminals.

9  Thank natasha w
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Great location, nicely appointed spacious rooms and.........a couple of rave clubs with pulsing bass and drums which go till 3 AM. We checked in late on a Friday night and should have suspected something was up when the lobby hotel door was locked and there were hordes of drunken 20 somethings milling about (not to worry, plenty of police presence). After we realized that the club sounds easily penetrated our 9th floor room, we called the desk and asked how long we could expect to be tapping our feet rather than sleeping. The desk clerk was a tad inexperienced ("oh yes, sorry, it will stop around 3 AM") but FORTUNATELY "found" a quiet room on a back alley after I said it was it bit inconvenient for us to start looking for another hotel at 1 AM. We were using Hilton Honors points for our 2 night stay so maybe we were supposed to be punished.....

Room Tip: Insist on a "quiet room guarantee" on Friday or Saturday night
1  Thank pcyork
Reviewed June 26, 2012

My wife and I stayed here over this past weekend. This is a very clean and modern property. The rooms were very good-sized and everything looked very new. The beds have a comfort select feature, which worked well. It is about a 10 minute walk (if that) to the Rogers Centre Stadium. Wayne Gretsky's restaurant is a couple of minutes walk and there are Clubs on either side of the hotel. I did not notice any noise in our room from the Club next door, but we were on the 9th floor. It is also about a 5 minute walk to the Thrifty/Dollar car rental downtown location. We did not use the restaurant or any other facilities so I can't speak for them. It was nice that they had free wi-fi throughout or free use of the Business Centers wi-fi.We would stay here again without any hesitation.

2  Thank mad4travel_01

Dear Mad4travel_01,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback with the tripadvisor world. I'm so glad to see that you and your wife had an enjoyable stay in Toronto and enjoyed our convenient location. Service is truly our highest priority and I am so glad to hear when that shows.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. I hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

For all you business travelers, you already know the Hilton Garden Inn format- nice size rooms, free hearty breakfast and good exercise facilities. The location and price for this hotel make it a compelling bargain for sightseeing as well. Please note this is not a tourist oriented hotel, but the staff do a great job of providing tips and directions to all the sights. So if you spend more time out of the hotel, rather than in the room, check this one out.

1  Thank ksp825

Dear ksp825,

Wow - what a great review! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, I'm so glad to see that you enjoyed our hotel and would recommend anyone looking for a good Toronto experience stay here. While we do not have a formal concierge, our front desk are always eager and willing to provide recommendations and tips.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback, I hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

We were only in town for a night and the location made it very convenient to walk around to restaurants and entertainment. Our room was clean and spacious. We had two issues. One being the front desk staff. Although they were friendly, getting useful information was difficult. We were attending a concert at the Molson Amphitheater and asked about walking from the hotel. We were told it was not possible to walk there, we must take cab. I mentioned that the map only showed it being about a 45 minute walk and we had plenty of time. Again I was told no, and they didn't have any idea if we could get there using public transportation (I've lived in NYC and every hotel knows how you can get to most places in the city using the subway, buses, walking, etc). We decided to walk anyway and made it in about 30 minutes and it was a beautiful walk along the water (disclosure-we are fast walkers). The second issue was with the nightclub next store. Trying to go to sleep was almost impossible as the alley for the club was right under our window. We were on the fifth floor. If you are staying on a weekend I would inquire about the location of your room.

Room Tip: High floor. Rooms on the North side are quieter.
2  Thank nessren13

Dear nessren13,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback. Whether negative or positive, we welcome it all, as we are always looking for ways to provide the best possible service to our guests. I apologize for the fact that our front desk staff was unable to provide you with accurate information about getting to and from the Molson Amphitheatre. In general, our front desk staff is extremely knowledgeable about the city and different methods of transportation, but I will most definitely address this with them.

I apologize also for the fact that you were disturbed by nightclub noise. While we cannot control it, we certainly try our best to place our leisure guests on higher floors, as far as possible from the club. Please feel free to contact me directly in advance of your next stay at jessie.wallace2@hilton.com, I will do my absolute best to ensure you a quieter room.