“Fantastic hotel in downtown Toronto.”

Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Downtown
Ranked #38 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
“Fantastic hotel in downtown Toronto.”
Reviewed March 9, 2012

I stayed at the HGI Toronto for the first time in February. My previous experiences with Toronto downtown hotels had not been good. Other hotels were over-priced and pretentious.

This hotel however was a breath of fresh air. A beautiful hotel in a great location. The staff was fantastic from check-in to check-out. The valet parking was quick and easy. The rooms are clean and very spacious. It is a fairly new hotel so everything is modern and un great shape.

The restaurant was fantastic. The free breakfast for Diamond members was a made to order breakfast, not a boring buffet. The bar was friendly and the evening menu was amazing. But all of that would not have mattered if the staff was not so fantastic. Everyone was welcomed with a smile and amazing service.

From now on whenever I stay in downtown Toronto, this will be the hotel for me.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank MrPig_Montreal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Polish first
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I booked 3 rooms on short notice focusing on being in downtown Toronto. There were other choices, but I am glad this was our choice given how friendly, confortable and relatively inexpensive it was. The service was quite good. Valet parking was expensive, but this is expected in a city like Toronto with limited downtown space.

The room was a fairly typical Hilton Garden Inn room, which I like, with great & free high speed access, a fridge that came in very handy and a solid shower and bed. The rooms were warm and comfortable, and the hotel has a small but cozy lobby with a fireplace, business center and small market shop.

We could walk to the CN Tower and Skydome as well as many restaurants, and the customers we were calling on were close by, so the location in Toronto was great for us.

With these Hilton hotels, I am always pretty certain of what to expect. For downtown Toronto, I recommend this property.

Room Tip: This is a vertical hotel that appears to be somewhat busy. I suggest a room away from the elevators...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank CoasterWarrior
Giurgiu, Giurgiu, Romania
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Stayed there for 6 nights. Comfortable bed, breakfast was ok. Nice view from upper floors. Walking distance to main attractions. There was a door between our room and the next one and we felt a little bit uncomfortable, we could hear our neighbours conversations with no effort and they could do the same.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2012

This is a great hotel, excellent value, nice pool and fitness area. My only complaint is that the front desk staff could have been a bit more accommodating. I found them to be a bit rude and difficult to deal with.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Jeff M
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2012

We had a Wag Jaunt for a 2 day stay this past week for 4 friends ( my 19 yr dtr. and her friend and myself and a friend). We had no trouble getting there - handy to Lakeshore Blvd. Walking distance to so many things to do and see. Cora's is just down the street for lunch. They let us have early check in and late check out. I thought it would be noisy at night when the clubs close but we were on the 9th floor on the east side and did not hear a thing.
Breakfast was wonderful- the staff encouraged us to take whatever we wanted to go - with paper bags made available. Nice lobby with fresh cookies in the evening.
We would love to come back.

Room Tip: Higher up is probably quieter - we were on the 9th floor and it was fine.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
hgitdgm, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, March 4, 2012
Dear EDV1958 - thank you so much for posting such a wonderful review here after your most recent stay. We have had a great response from the folks who booked through WagJag Jaunt - especially about the breakfast (although it IS the same for everyone!). Please don't be a stranger and come back and visit us again soon!

Agnes Water, Australia
Reviewed February 26, 2012

The hotel is walking distance to downtown and public transport is right outside. We came in from Australia and the staff were fantastic in directing us to all the places that were of interest. The reception and bar staff were great in giving us suggestions and tips on where to go and how to get there. The hotel is a bit old and has a strange smell of tooooo many chemicals used in cleaning, but I guess that does mean they do clean. The rooms were small but had everything and generally we had an enjoyable stay and would happily stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear hotabbots - thank you posting your review here but I am concerned that we are not the hotel you stayed at! The reason I say that is that we are not an old hotel - when you stayed in September 2011, we had been open just 2 and 1/2 years! Of course, I do realise that IS old for some cities where hotels open up almost weekly - so maybe I am mistaken! Either way, we certainly do appreciate the feedback and would love to welcome you back one day!

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I recently stayed at te Hilton Garden Inn to try something different. The lobby is quite lovely, the parking is expensive. Be aware that this is in the club district so be prepared to encounter drunk people on the weekend stumbling about. The room was clean and quite large. We had a room with a stand up shower which was fine by me. I truly disliked the bed. It was an adjustable bed that allows you to choose the softness, I found it to be lumpy and uncomfortable. we enjoyed the pool and hot tub albeit not very deep. There is also a small fitness center. My fav part was the breakfast buffet. The price is very reasonabe and the quality of the food was great. They let you take some take out back to the room.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JamesPharm - thank you so much for having posted your review here after your recent stay. So sorry that you found the bed to be uncomfortable. The breakfast really is getting the best reviews on here recently!

Regards,