“Great hotel”

Ranked #36 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Sofia, Bulgaria
“Great hotel”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I was on a business trip and never expected to stay in such a nice hotel.
Perfect location (CN tower and Rogers Centre just a short walk from the hotel). Friendly and helpful staff. Clean. Loved the in room coffee machine and microwave.
I stayed at the hotel for 3 weeks and next time I'm coming to Toronto I'll ask my hosts to get me a room in Hilton Garden Inn again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
hgitdgm, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Dear Pehota,

I want to thank you for your comments, as the Director of Sales and Marketing I am always pleased to know we have accommodations that people are willing to make their second home. Staying for 3 weeks is a long time to be away from your own home so I'm happy we made your stay enjoyable. We certainly look forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Polish first
Wakefield UK
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We originally booked this through an agent and then found a deal on Hilton's website by chance offering free breakfasts when booked direct and paid for 14 days in advance. This proved to be a bargain for us. The choice and quality was excellent with hot food cooked to order and guests were even encouraged to take out from the cold buffet which meant we needed a limited amount of lunch.

The room was spacious and well appointed. The one gripe we had was that even after an e-mail exchange with the general manager assuring us we would not be allocated a room above the nightclub (after reading previous reviews) we were. The first night (Saturday) was roudy between 1.30 and 3.30am but we decided to give it another night as we did not want to pack and unpack again and in fairness the other two nights were fine.
Reception and restaurant staff were all friendly and helpful.

The location is within walking distance (for us) of most of the attractions and well served by public transport. The airport bus dropped off approx 100 yards from the hotel which you could see as you got off the bus.

We would highly recommend this hotel for a city centre stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
hgitdgm, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, July 30, 2011
Dear SMW20

Please allow me to introduce myself as the General Manager of the Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Downtown - where you stayed earlier this month. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for submitting this feedback on TripAdvisor - I don't get a chance to chat with as many guests as I’d like to, so greatly appreciate the time guests take to share feedback.

I am so very sorry that your request for a room away from the nightclub was not honored and I will be speaking with the Front Desk Team regarding this.

Lovely to read your reviews about the Breakfast - we certainly do have a wonderful restaurant and I'm glad you were able to find the deal that you did and take full advantage of it.

I know you have a choice as to where you stay and I appreciate you choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Downtown – I hope you will make the same choice the next time you visit Toronto.

Sally J Ifill
ottawa
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Stayed here for 6 days with our family of 4 for a summer vacation.

Overall we had a good experience. The hotel is fairly new and quite clean. The pool area was smallish but adequate. The room was a standard hotel layout with the addition of a small station with the microwave and fridge.

The hotel is close to the CN tower and the Skydome, as well as Chinatown. Ontario Place was a short drive away.

The property does have limited parking, although we were able to get a spot a few hours after checking in. Mind you, I couldn't bear to watch the valets take our new Toyota Siena van into the "car elevator".

We had breakfast at the hotel one day and it was reasonable.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear Sally321:

It's ALWAYS pleasing when I see such a positive review and there's nothing I like more than to share this feedback with my team! I do know what you mean about the car elevators though! Our Valet Team are immensly talented though and I trust them totally!

Sally J Ifill
Canada
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Stayed here for a week, the hotel is nice, rooms are nicely appointed. Also it is conveniently located near a Shoppers which, with the in room microwave and fridge it makes it easy to have a quick snack in the room.
Also very convenient was the free in-room wifi which I really appreciated as so many hotels still do not offer the in-room wifi option.
With regards to the nightclub next door. I spoke with the front desk and they gave me a room as far away as possible, I did have to do a little convincing but it was no problem to be moved. There was an event on at the nightclub one night and I never heard anything.
For some this may not be an issue, but also be aware, most rooms do not have bathtubs, just standup showers, so if you like to bath or have children who you need to bath, this is likely not the best choice.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Dear Andrea162
Thank you so much for posting a review here - it's always pleasing to read positive feedback and I love to share this with my team. I'm glad you were able to get one of the rooms away from the nightclub to ensure you got a great nights' rest!

Please remember us the next time you are in Toronto!

KInd Regards

Sally Ifill, GM
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My fiance and I stayed at this hotel the last time we went to Toronto to see a jays ball game, located a few footsteps from the cn tower/rogers centre, very convenient location, very good price, clean room, friendly staff, but as other reviews say, and we were expecting it and didn't mind considering the price and location, this hotel is right next to a night club, so the music really boom booms until early morning, unless you are a light sleeper, I would recommend this hotel to you.

• Stayed June 2011
Dear Oikers25
Thank you so much for writing a wonderful review here - I love sharing these positive reviews with my team of stars!

The nightclub can be noisy on the weekends and occasionally in the week but we always try to accommodate guests away from the noise.

Please don't be a stranger when you are next in Toronto!

Sally J Ifill, GM
Canada
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We stayed here when we saw a play nearby, for which it was terrifically convenient. Price was good, too. There's good coffee nearby (I'm fairly sure that they didn't offer breakfast).

The lobby is a little spare, and the furnishings are going down that Hilton Garden Inn direction of "your room is your office", which I appreciate when I travel for, well, business, and which appeals less for when I'm there because it's down the street from the theatre.

And they did seem to have some issues with their parking being full; several people were being directed to other parking garages, etc. We'd taken transit into the centre of the city, so it wasn't an issue.

The clientele seemed to include a lot of people whose night was just starting when we were getting back from the play (the hotel is also near a lot of nightclubs). Conveniently, we slept through their return, so I guess it's well noise-insulated.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear melted_snowball
Thank you so much for posting your review here - a great way to "get the word out". I'm sorry that you appear not to have been informed about breakfast - we have a wonderful full-service restaurant - The Marquis Lounge & Bistro - located on the 2nd floor. Our parking can get busy on occasions but we are fortunate to have a few other lots close by to accommodate those guests that we cannot.

Please come back again!

Sally J Ifill. GM
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights and it was like we stayed in two different hotels. First when we arrived we realized it is a very hotel in terms of building and interior and also the staff was very kind. It is located close to many POIs in Toronto so you don't need to worry about transportation if you are ok to walk for 10-20 minutes. We used the fitness room and there were machines in a very good shape, there were just not so many of them. Not a problem for us though, we were the only two people using the room at that time.
The second night was completely different. At about 1am in the morning a terrible noise (read music) came from the club next door. We had to call the front desk which was not even aware of the problem. I wonder what he did as he was sitting virtually right next to the club he must have heard it. He said he would send security to solve the issue. We had to call again 30 minutes later and eventually after about three quarters of an hour they turned down the volume of the music. It was still not gone, though.
During checkout next morning the front desk was quite busy and all the kindness from 2 days earlier seemed to have vanished. I left the Hilton Hotel as a HHonors silver member and they would not even ask me how I liked my stay. Not a big deal but not the right way of saying good bye for a Hilton.
My conclusion: very nice hotel, staff can be nice if they like to, the only problem is the risk of the terrible noise in the night caused by the club next door, which according to the staff has done so for the first time in the hotel's history while we were there.

Room Tip: Get a room far away from Peter street so you don't hear the noise from the club next door at nig...