“Perfect for young couples that don't mind the loud music at night.”

Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Downtown
Ranked #35 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
“Perfect for young couples that don't mind the loud music at night.”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My fiance and I stayed at this hotel the last time we went to Toronto to see a jays ball game, located a few footsteps from the cn tower/rogers centre, very convenient location, very good price, clean room, friendly staff, but as other reviews say, and we were expecting it and didn't mind considering the price and location, this hotel is right next to a night club, so the music really boom booms until early morning, unless you are a light sleeper, I would recommend this hotel to you.

• Stayed June 2011
hgitdgm, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, July 30, 2011
Dear Oikers25
Thank you so much for writing a wonderful review here - I love sharing these positive reviews with my team of stars!

The nightclub can be noisy on the weekends and occasionally in the week but we always try to accommodate guests away from the noise.

Please don't be a stranger when you are next in Toronto!

Best Wishes,

Sally J Ifill, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Polish first
Canada
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We stayed here when we saw a play nearby, for which it was terrifically convenient. Price was good, too. There's good coffee nearby (I'm fairly sure that they didn't offer breakfast).

The lobby is a little spare, and the furnishings are going down that Hilton Garden Inn direction of "your room is your office", which I appreciate when I travel for, well, business, and which appeals less for when I'm there because it's down the street from the theatre.

And they did seem to have some issues with their parking being full; several people were being directed to other parking garages, etc. We'd taken transit into the centre of the city, so it wasn't an issue.

The clientele seemed to include a lot of people whose night was just starting when we were getting back from the play (the hotel is also near a lot of nightclubs). Conveniently, we slept through their return, so I guess it's well noise-insulated.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear melted_snowball
Thank you so much for posting your review here - a great way to "get the word out". I'm sorry that you appear not to have been informed about breakfast - we have a wonderful full-service restaurant - The Marquis Lounge & Bistro - located on the 2nd floor. Our parking can get busy on occasions but we are fortunate to have a few other lots close by to accommodate those guests that we cannot.

Please come back again!

Sally J Ifill. GM
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights and it was like we stayed in two different hotels. First when we arrived we realized it is a very hotel in terms of building and interior and also the staff was very kind. It is located close to many POIs in Toronto so you don't need to worry about transportation if you are ok to walk for 10-20 minutes. We used the fitness room and there were machines in a very good shape, there were just not so many of them. Not a problem for us though, we were the only two people using the room at that time.
The second night was completely different. At about 1am in the morning a terrible noise (read music) came from the club next door. We had to call the front desk which was not even aware of the problem. I wonder what he did as he was sitting virtually right next to the club he must have heard it. He said he would send security to solve the issue. We had to call again 30 minutes later and eventually after about three quarters of an hour they turned down the volume of the music. It was still not gone, though.
During checkout next morning the front desk was quite busy and all the kindness from 2 days earlier seemed to have vanished. I left the Hilton Hotel as a HHonors silver member and they would not even ask me how I liked my stay. Not a big deal but not the right way of saying good bye for a Hilton.
My conclusion: very nice hotel, staff can be nice if they like to, the only problem is the risk of the terrible noise in the night caused by the club next door, which according to the staff has done so for the first time in the hotel's history while we were there.

Room Tip: Get a room far away from Peter street so you don't hear the noise from the club next door at nig...
1 Thank Alex31415
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2011

I had been given a "customer appreciation" coupon package for the Hilton Garden Inn by a friend of mine - I initially thought the deal was great, as there were 3 coupons for 50% off a regular night's stay rate, and 1 coupon for a free weekend night stay (with a 39.00 housekeeping fee - only specified on the weekend coupon). I made a reservation for a Thursday evening, as a friend and I were attending the Raptors Draft event. Long story short, I was quoted 89.00 on my reservation, and presented with a 180.00 bill upon checkout. There was a mandatory 35.00 valet fee (which I was advised of) and then the 39.00 housekeeping fee (mentioned nowhere in my reservation confirmation, on the coupon (except for the weekend stay) or anywhere else. I tried to sort out my bill with the front desk clerk in the morning during checkout - she was incredibly rude and snide. Her equally rude colleage looked over at me at one point when i was advising of my quoted rate, and said "We never sell a room for less than 179.00, so you cant be right" then went back to the computer (FYI Hilton - a 2 min search on expedia and other hotel booking websites quickly proved him wrong, as there were rooms going for as low is 120.00). I emailed management and Hilton customer service and expressed my displeasure with the hidden fee. No one acknowledged that I was unsatisfied, or did anything about it. In such a competitive business, one would think the Hilton would at least make a half hearted attempt to give a crap - not so in this case. Not only will I never stay there again, but I cancelled the reservation I had made for the following Thursday (they made no attempt to disuade me) and found a nicer hotel, closer to downtown, online for 45.00 less than I had paid at the Garden Inn. Nice "customer appreciation" coupons, Hilton! In case no one had made you aware, people dont enjoy being fleeced, but they sure enjoy sharing a story about a terrible experience!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed July 14, 2011

The hotel is convenient to all of Toronto’s main attractions and close to the city’s exciting nightlife. The rooms are great. They are very nicely decorated and supper clean. We have stayed there twice now in the past two years and will definitely consider staying again on our next trip. We had no complaints.

1 Thank RobertInBrooklyn
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 10, 2011

First stay at Toronto with hubby.

We wanted to be close to everything but didn't want to spend major bucks to, so we decided on this hotel; we didn't regret it! Walking distance to almost everything. Not near a subway, but no need, we walked everywhere.

Nice clean room, big bed, big shower in the room. No frills, but clean clean clean. I'm a worrier about cleanliness, and clean it was.

Free internet was nice too, and useful.

The staff was nice to us, and our demands were answered quickly.

The only thing i would not recommend is eating at the hotel; with as many restaurants nearby, go out.

Going to go back there again when coming back to toronto!

1 Thank cchausse
Vancouver
Reviewed July 8, 2011

This has been my 5th stay or so at the Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Toronto. For the business traveler it is a very sensible choice.

The location is good - a short walk to the financial district (where I do most of my business). By short I mean 10-15 minutes. It's a bit far from the Subway, more so than the Hilton/Sheraton on Richmond St.

The rooms are roomy, clean, and comfortable, and the amenities are nice. Free Internet is always appreciated, as are Herman Miller chairs - I've spend hours working from my hotel room until late at night, and having a comfy chair is a huge plus.

Prices are typically lower than the Hilton or Sheraton, and I actually prefer the rooms at the Garden Inn to both.

Lots of restaurants to choose from - from tourist traps in the theatre district to cheap eateries on Spedina. Use Urbanspoon to find what you're looking for.

It's always the first hotel I look up when I need to book a Toronto trip.

Tip - there's a club right next to the hotel. I have never had any issues with noise, but a colleague of mine was staying and apparently had a room directly facing the club, resulting in lots of late night noise. Again - I never had any issues.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business