“We've stayed there twice, and will stay there again.”

Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Downtown
Ranked #37 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed July 14, 2011

The hotel is convenient to all of Toronto’s main attractions and close to the city’s exciting nightlife. The rooms are great. They are very nicely decorated and supper clean. We have stayed there twice now in the past two years and will definitely consider staying again on our next trip. We had no complaints.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RobertInBrooklyn
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Downtown

Reviewed July 10, 2011

First stay at Toronto with hubby.

We wanted to be close to everything but didn't want to spend major bucks to, so we decided on this hotel; we didn't regret it! Walking distance to almost everything. Not near a subway, but no need, we walked everywhere.

Nice clean room, big bed, big shower in the room. No frills, but clean clean clean. I'm a worrier about cleanliness, and clean it was.

Free internet was nice too, and useful.

The staff was nice to us, and our demands were answered quickly.

The only thing i would not recommend is eating at the hotel; with as many restaurants nearby, go out.

Going to go back there again when coming back to toronto!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cchausse
Reviewed July 8, 2011

This has been my 5th stay or so at the Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Toronto. For the business traveler it is a very sensible choice.

The location is good - a short walk to the financial district (where I do most of my business). By short I mean 10-15 minutes. It's a bit far from the Subway, more so than the Hilton/Sheraton on Richmond St.

The rooms are roomy, clean, and comfortable, and the amenities are nice. Free Internet is always appreciated, as are Herman Miller chairs - I've spend hours working from my hotel room until late at night, and having a comfy chair is a huge plus.

Prices are typically lower than the Hilton or Sheraton, and I actually prefer the rooms at the Garden Inn to both.

Lots of restaurants to choose from - from tourist traps in the theatre district to cheap eateries on Spedina. Use Urbanspoon to find what you're looking for.

It's always the first hotel I look up when I need to book a Toronto trip.

Tip - there's a club right next to the hotel. I have never had any issues with noise, but a colleague of mine was staying and apparently had a room directly facing the club, resulting in lots of late night noise. Again - I never had any issues.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank OF-YVR
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Just got back from an 11 night trip to Canada and stayed in this hotel for 5 nights. Ideally located near the CN Tower and Rogers Centre, in fact walking distance anywhere downtown and a couple of blocks away from the Subway. We had a great stay (apart from one young guest deciding to pull the fire alarm at 4am on our second night.) I'd recommend the hotel to anyone who doesn't mind a bit of noise (Entertainment District kind of gives the game away!) It was comfortable, clean and the staff were very helpful but as previously mentioned the location was fantastic! Didn't try the restaurant or use the parking facilities but I do know parking space is limited (and expensive.)

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the nightclub side or higher up to avoid the 2am laughter and shouting!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank clarewleeds
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I have nothing bad to say about this hotel, helpful staff, clean tidy room, comfy beds, great location, it was a perfect place to stay. The only bad things that i can mention are that during my stay another guest decided to set the fire alarm of at 04:30, not a wake up call I want to repeat. Plus the spa had too much chlorine in and that my eye's were stinging. Would I use this hotel again? yes without hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2011

In May, I attended a conference at the Hyatt around the corner. After reading the negative reviews for that hotel, I chose to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn because of the positive reviews on TA and also because I'm a Hilton Diamond member. The Hyatt proved incredibly disappointing as a conference venue and other attendees said the rooms there were disappointing also. The Hilton Garden Inn seemed a good option but I'd consider the Soho Metropolitan if I was looking for a more luxe experience.

The rooms are mid sized... comfortable for one or two people but tight for more than that. The furniture and furnishings are newish, which befits the age of the hotel. The washroom was a bit cramped but there was decent water pressure for the shower. There is plenty of closet space and a large chest of drawers for clothing. The bed was comfortable, with plenty of pillows. The flat screen TV was set up prominently in the room. One bug was they didn't seem to ever get the newspapers on time to be delivered to the rooms in the morning --on only one morning did I wake up to find it outside my door. The free wi-fi strength wavered --it was strong in non peak hours but painfully slow in the morning and also before bedtime. Housekeeping was consistent but I tipped every day of my stay (and received thank you notes from the grateful staff).

I bypassed the free breakfast so I can't rate on the quality of the offering. I ordered one meal from room service. Apparently the kitchen was quite busy that night due to heavy rain. Although it took me five minutes to get through, my food arrived within 15 minutes and was of decent quality for a burger and fries.

The hotel is within walking distance of the everything in the entertainment district. There is a Shoppers Drug Mart, a LCBO liquor store and a natural food market within a two block radius --all of which are necessities for regular travelers, IMHO. There are also multiple restaurants and fast food locations close by. Other Toronto sites such as City Hall, Eaton Centre, etc are within a 10 minute walk. There are three street car lines within three blocks, although the subway is a further walk away.

Service at the front desk is efficient, though not especially welcoming. On a whole, it was a satisfactory but not exceptional stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank game_misconduct
Reviewed June 27, 2011

I stayed at this hotel on the weekend of June 11 for one night as I was celebrating my birthday and I had a coupon for this hotel. The location is amazing, central to just about everything. The rooms were nicely decorated and quite clean and I loved the added touch of the microwaves in each room.
What ruined my stay here was the staff who get a big thumbs down from me! I stay at hotels quite often in toronto as well as overseas and never have I experienced such rude staff. I walked up to the front desk on Saturday around 4:00pm and there was no line at the desk so I thought " Great this should be quick and easy". Well it took a good 7 minutes before I was even acknowledged by a staff member at the desk. It felt as though I was invisible :( Finally when the front desk agent decided to pay attention she greeted me with a half smile and proceeded to go through the motions. I did not feel welcomed at all which has never been the case at any of the other downtown toronto hotels I have stayed at before.
Well since it was my birthday we brushed that experience off and went on with our day. We came back to the hotel after a night out at around 2 am and had to enter through the side door. Since we were really tired we missed the sign that said we needed to slide out key to open the door and we proceeded to simply slide the door open without swiping. The door slid and on the otherside we were greeted by the rudest employee!! We apologized for missing the sign and he made us go back out and swipe our card and enter back in like we were some kind of criminals.! He then went on to demean us by saying " That is the first and last time this happens!" while raising his voice.Meaning 1st and last time we forget to swipe our key. I was too in shock to ask for his manager as his behaviour was out of bounds! We missed the sign by accident, give me a break! How could he be so rude. I walked away quite stunned and upset. The actual hotel establishment is quite nice however the staff totally ruined m yexperience. If you stay here and encounter rude staff do not be afraid to ask for the manager! I have once more coupon for this hotel and I am thinking about selling it as I prefer to stay at more hospitable hotels.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends