“Great Food!”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Queen Street and West Queen West
Cross street: University
Transit: Subway: Osgoode Station Street Car: Queen West Street Car
Description: Nota Bene restaurant is a sophisticated dining establishment created and run by famed Toronto Chef David Lee. Opened in August 2008, the restaurant has garnered much critical acclaim and has been featured on countless “best of” lists including Toronto Life, En Route Magazine, Maclean's and most recently, Canada’s 100 Best Restaurants.
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Had a great NYE meal at Nota Bene. I agree with some reviews that the menu was a bit odd considering the name of the restaurant. The menu offered Italian, English, Asian, and Canadian dishes. However, the dish selection was limited but the food was consistently good from the appetizer to dessert. I started with a tasty grilled Hamachi, followed by a perfectly cooked roasted Atlantic cod and an absolutely delicious sticky toffee pudding. The staff was great and accommodating to our requests. Overall, I would definitely come back to Nota Bene.

Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant was not what I was expecting given it's name. With some effort one can see its Italian roots but it's not an Italian restaurant.

The menu is limited and a la carte. The food was good as was the service but I couldn't shake the feeling that I was overcharged for the experience.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Had a great meal with co-workers at Nota Bene during my first visit to Toronto. The duck salad was amazing...such a wonderful layering of flavors and loved the heat at the end...and I don't love spicy food. We also shared the pappardelle as a mid-course, also great. I had the cod as my main course and it was fantastic. The butter pie is basically what Americans call pecan pie...delish. Would recommend.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

The black cod, scallops, ceviche, panna cotta were all very good, the lobster salad could have been presented better.

The service was quite good, staff friendly, the room seemingly filled to the hilt with theater and ballet goers ...close to hotels such as the Hilton and the Shangri la...certainly a place for visitors to this part of Toronto to visit...a place for courting couples.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

There is great comfort in places that maintain their high standards over time. Nota Bene is one of them. The food and service are constantly first rate. We start with the beet salad and the first bite is delicious. Although choosing not to do the pre-theatre prix fixe because the beets were not part of that menu, I thoroughly enjoy and savour my selection. My husband's Tuscan bean, chicken and vegetable soup might have been made by your grandma in the kitchen. It tastes so homemade, i wonder why other restaurants have such a hard time oversalting or preparing soup that does not resemble one so spectacular. For my main I have the chestnut-cheese agnolotti with squash in brown butter sauce. Maybe only a minute or two overbaked, it still satisfies. He has an excellent swordfish in mango sauce but perhaps the fries with the best aioli sauce- I- have- eve-r tasted! overshadows the pasta. and yes I know both are carbs, not ton to be eaten together, but when Nota Bene's sites/fries arrive, they are always devoured. We both felt that the chocolate brownie with crunchy ice cream in carmel sauce was the least favourite item on the menu; however, that is like saying Brad Pitt is ugly. I found the brownie not overly rich and a perfect complement to a wonderful meal.