“Elegant. Excellent Service”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Queen Street and West Queen West
Cross street: University
Transit: Subway: Osgoode Station Street Car: Queen West Street Car
Description: Nota Bene restaurant is a sophisticated dining establishment created and run by famed Toronto Chef David Lee. Opened in August 2008, the restaurant has garnered much critical acclaim and has been featured on countless “best of” lists including Toronto Life, En Route Magazine, Maclean's and most recently, Canada’s 100 Best Restaurants.
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I had never been to a "fusion food" restaurant. My experience here was tremendous. The service staff is very attentive, yet not overly so. The wine selection is very good. Menu options were numerous. My friend and I chose the Tunisian Octopus Carpaccio as an appetizer. His main course was Pulled Pork Tostada, mine was Seared Scallops. The main course was delivered in a reasonable time after which our server visited our tablet a perfect times to ascertain all was well and whether we needed anything. We both declined dessert although the dessert menu was fill with great sounding items. I would definitely recommend this dining experience to all who read this review.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Went for dinner on a saturday evening. Terribly disappointed. Service was non-existent, our server passed us off from the moment we had our drinks and from then on we were in no man's land. I think we had 3 different waiters (including the manager) over the course of the evening.

Food was average relative to the price paid. Ravioli was mediocre, scallops were decent but nothing special.

We expressed our frustration to the manager who didn't seem too bothered, but was kind enough to remove our drinks and first course from the bill.

Nonetheless, a terrible experience and won't be returning given we were treated like 3rd class citizens. This place is very overrated and overpriced in my opinion. Plenty of good restaurants in Toronto, this isn't one of them.

2  Thank dparcanada
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I coincidentally went to Nota Bene with a client for lunch and the following day for dinner with family. Both times were very good. Worth going to. For lunch I got the bunless burger. I got the burger cooked medium rare as recommended and it was cooked perfectly. I had a Caesar to start that was decent. For dinner I got the shared steak and bone marrow for two with the ceviche to start. The ceviche was delicious and the steak was good but a little tough. For dessert I got an ice cream that was really good (spotted ice cream).

Reviewed May 31, 2013

I've eaten at Nota Bene several times over past few years, both for lunch and dinner, most recently in the past week. Every time I've visited both the meal and service has been excellent. The menu is seasonal and changes frequently. There's separate menus for lunch and dinner, both available at the restaurant's website. The attention to detail is evident in every dish, in both the presentation and taste. The side dishes for the table are very good. In the fall and winter they usual have brussels sprouts which will make a fan of people who hate them.

Nota Bene is great both as a restaurant for business lunch and for dinner, particularly before the opera since its kitty-corner from the Four Seasons Centre.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

A nice find among many other options. You'll notice a majority are the theater crowd or business dinner clients. Make sure you have a reservation. The three hostess who stood around doing nothing, were not very kind when they found out we didn't have one. They finally offered three seats at the bar. The bartender was very cheerful and made up for the hostess. The food is okay, a bit spicy which is nice but portions are small.