“Excellent restaurant with fantastic food and neighborhood feel”
Review of Table 17 - CLOSED

Table 17
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: East End
Cross street: Boulton
Transit: Queen Street East street car
Lima, Peru
“Excellent restaurant with fantastic food and neighborhood feel”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I went to Table 17 with a friend of mine for the first time not knowing what to expect. The restaurant is located in the Leslieville/Riverside area of Toronto, about a 10 minute taxi ride from downtown. I was very pleasantly surprised with the warm ambiance and the "neighborhood" feel of the place versus the business like setting of the majority of restaurants in downtown Toronto. The staff and service were excellent, with suggestions provided for the different courses. Our waitress was very knowledgeable regarding the menu, and explained the each of the selections in detail. I had the potato soup followed by the seared scallops, with a rhubarb panna cotta for desert; all which were excellent . This restaurant prides itself by buying local produce and meat grown and raised in Canada. Overall, great restaurant for couples, friends, and business types who want to relax for the evening. I would highly recommend Table 17 and will go back the next time I am in Toronto.

• Visited July 2013

Toronto
“hit and miss”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Went to table 17 for the first time. I had looked at the reviews in order to inform my choices. However, the menu that you can download from their website was not the one I got. Half the dishes were different. And the prices have increased.

There are only about 7-8 mains to choose from, all from $24-31. Instead of mains, I chose to have a few small plates. They have 3 other sections on the menu “sharables, sides, and appetizers”, though I would assume that they are all sharable and/or appetizers.

I had the rice balls (large order that has 6, 2 of each flavor), and the quail appetizer and the swiss chard side.
The rice balls were very tasty. The 3 sauces that come with are nice. My favourite was the mint one that went with the lamb ball. The other two sauces are pure honey, and a red tomato sauce. The balls are mostly rice with a tiny bit of filling, except for the goat cheese ball, which was mostly cheese. I would recommend them for sure.

The quail was two small bits (the waitress said they were breasts, but the bones and dark meat led me to believe they were legs – but i don’t eat quail enough to know) that were lightly coated and fried or deep fried. Very tasty! Difficult to eat with a knife and fork, but my companion graciously suggested I pick them up like wings, so I did. The menu said the quail comes with greens with a citrus vinaigrette. They should have said “bitter greens” because it was not a salad but hunks of thick tough bitter green leaves of who-knows-what with hardly any dressing and they were not edible without adding something. I could only eat them if I took a bite of something else with them (quail, rice ball, side sauces, anything!).
The side of swiss chard was similar. The menu said it was with oil and garlic, but it did not taste at all of garlic. Although it was well-cooked and the portion was good, we had to ask for salt to put on it (there’s no salt on the tables), and we even asked the waitress if there was supposed to be garlic on them and she said “no, we don’t use much garlic in anything here.” We almost asked for the menu back to see if we were crazy, but we both recalled it saying garlic. Like the other greens, the swiss chard was better with something added. Salt was enough to make it edible, though having rice ball with it was better.

My companion had the special fish of the day and was very pleased with it. I forget what it was (steelhead trout?), and I did not taste it because I don’t like fish, but the portion was good and it came with corn mash (yummy!) and a kind of whipped avocado side sauce, and tomatillo sauce around it. She loved it.

For dessert, I was looking forward to sticky toffee pudding after all the reviews, but sadly they do not have it in the summer. We split the special of the day, which was a small (3, maybe 3.5 inch) round cheesecake with a “bourbon-soaked cherry” sauce on top and some chocolate sauce on the side. There were only 3-4 cherries in the sauce - it would have been nice to have more as they were tasty. It was nice to have a few bites of something sweet, though I’d say it was a tad expensive at 9-10 bucks.

We did not have wine or alcohol, nor coffee with dessert, and our bill came to $72.00 before tip.
Because of the hit and miss nature of the food, I will not likely return. I’d rather go to District (great Japanese food) a few doors down, or pay a bit more and go to Ruby Watchco.

• Visited July 2013
toronto
“Great deal on sunday”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

In Toronto it is not common to have byob but Table 17 on sunday is allowed one couple per bottle for free corkage then any extra one is $20 corkage fee. And sunday there is only the fix menu which is $35 for 3 courses. The food quality is good and for vegetarian there are choices as well.

We celebrated my husband's birthday and 8 of us had 4 bottles of good wine and it was enough for us and we were all stuffed. :-)

Recommand this place if you enjoy your own wine without paying overpriced ones.

Stillwater, Minnesota
“tasty food in a lovely setting”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Had a delightful dinner for 2 at Table 17. There were a limited number of appetizers and entrees, but everything we ordered was delicious and beautifully presented. Potion size was reasonable and service attentive. We had a 6:30 reservation and were seated promptly. Noise escalated as the restaurant filled, but we were still able to carry on a conversation.

Stillwater, Minnesota
“Fresh and tasty!”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

On the recommendation of a friend we went to try the food. The staff was friendly and fun, the food was very good with wonderful presentation. When we come back to Toronto we will be back for another great meal!