“AnnexGarden "top of class"”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Annex Garden Bed & Breakfast and Suites
Ranked #9 of 115 Toronto B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“AnnexGarden "top of class"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

I have stayed here several times on business trips. This is the place to stay if you are in or near the Annex neighbourhood. It is close to College, a few minutes from Harbord and only a 10 minute walk to Bloor Street. Restaurants and life on College Street suits varied tastes. Not only has the house been lovingly restored using top quality materials and fixtures, it is more sound proof than most hotels you will stay in. Roberta is a gracious, engaging host and her breakfasts are fantastic. All the rooms are large, well appointed, have towel warmers in nicely appointed en suites. Tastelfu modern art adorns the walls..I only wish I had more time to linger.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank elacer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
White Plains, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

My mother and I stayed here while visiting family in Toronto and agreed we would come back just to spend more time in the B&B! Roberta has done a truly outstanding job restoring this gracious home to its former glory, while expertly integrating modern and folk artwork as well as contemporary furnishings with period pieces. The room was luxurious, classy and relaxing. Marble-tiled bathroom was awesome - can I tell you how much I loved the heated towel rack? Delicious gourmet breakfasts, great conversation, and two sweet pug dogs were just a few more of the features that will bring me back!

Room Tip: There is no
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
40 Thank ELMNewYork
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

Speaking frankly, it's difficult to find fault with this B&B. My wife and I stayed in the king bedroom on the second floor which features a private balcony area and scads of room to stretch out and relax. As are all the house's bathrooms, ours was completely renovated including an air-jet tub. The house itself is a real historic treat even though it doesn't enjoy official heritage property status. The hostess Roberta is friendly as is her helper Matt and both offered good hints on local attractions. You're only steps from Little Italy along College Street (check my future review for the restaurant where we ate) or a short walk up to Koreatown along Bloor Street. Breakfast was varied and plentiful: yogourt, fruit salad, on-demand coffee, espresso, or cappuccino, and freshly-made blueberry pancakes (the hot menu item varies). It may not be the least expensive B&B in town and parking is not super-easy (although Matt or Roberta will show you the way), but the stay is well worth it!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
22 Thank homebody69
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

Roberta is an amazing hostess with wonderful suggestions of where to eat and what to see. Breakfast each morning was delicious fresh fruit and made from scratch waffles or omelets. The house has been beautifully restored over the past year and is stunning. It was more like a boutique b and b with lots of luxuries such as a whirlpool tub and an incredibly comfortable bed. The wireless internet worked well for my ipad. The location is perfectly situated on a quiet street near the heart of Little Italy and within easy walking distance to Chinatown and Yonge Street. The public transportation is at the end of the street. Roberta's warmth, the large porch, and two adorable pugs made this a wonderful home away from home with a personalized touch combined with the touches expected at large, high end hotels.

Room Tip: The king room on the second floor has a private balcony.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
16 Thank travelingbuckeye03
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

I stayed in the Annex Garden B&B for 3 nights after moving from Ireland, and before moving into a condo. I found it extremely hard to drag myself away from such a comfortable and welcoming B&B!

I booked through http://www.torontobandb.com which was really easy. They have lots of photos on the website and they're pretty accurate-they don't do the place justice, if anything. They sent on full instructions with directions etc. Roberta, the owner of the B&B, emailed herself a couple of weeks later with extra instructions and just to say hello!

I arrived in the pouring rain in the middle of the G20 riots. Roberta wasn't there when I first landed but I already had the code for the door and let myself in. I had ENORMOUS bags so let them downstairs while I did some exploring in town. When I met Roberta later, she could not have been more welcoming. We brought one of my huge bags upstairs together but decided to leave the other one downstairs. I was grateful for that-her home is beautiful and I hated thinking that I was taking over her living room.

My bedroom was lovely. I was in the twin room on the 3rd floor. 2 twin beds, bright bathroom and huge closet with nice touches like a robe, alarm clock, ironing board and iron. The TV was tiny but I didn't really watch much. I made full use of the mini fridge and the free wifi! Everything was gleamingly spotless and the bed was comfy. I slept incredibly well every night. I peeked into another room one day when it was being cleaned and it was also bright and comfortable looking. There's a self catering apartment downstairs and a patio outside to use in the good weather.

Breakfast was different every morning but always delicious. I had wholemeal waffles, omelettes, freshly baked bread, fruit.... I don't think I've eaten such a delicious variety of food since then. Coffee was excellent and plentiful. Roberta is great to chat to and managed to get everybody chatting at the breakfast table. She will give recommendations on things to do and places to eat and can talk on pretty much any subject! She has a really cute little pug dog too who makes you feel like part of the family!

It was a lovely few days and I felt completely at home. I wished I could stay longer. The house is gorgeous and kept beautifully. I believe she will be moving down the street in the future but I have no doubt that it will be equally gorgeous. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone visiting the city. Or if you just want to sleep in a really comfy bed and have a nice breakfast....

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
18 Thank GráinneM
Moves around a lot!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2010

This is fantastic B&B. I have stayed there twice, once in April 2008 with my mother and once in April 2009 with a friend. Both times we had the delightful twin room at the top of the building, but I peeked into the other rooms the other rooms when the doors were ajar and they also look lovely. The beds are SUPER comfortable with lovely bedding and comforters, the bathroom shiny and with a great shower, and little touches like a cork screw and wine glases add to the experience. The TV isn't the best quality, a little outdated and in an odd position (on top of the fridge, can't actually see it from any of the beds/chairs!) but this is a totally minor point and who watches t.v. when away, anyway?!

Breakfast is to die for, served in the big open plan kitchen at the large breakfast table. Roberta is very accommodating with timing (on weekends and holidays, at least) and also asks you what you'd like the day before! We put in an order for blueberry pancakes and were NOT disappointed! Fresh fruit salad, breads, fresh coffee/tea complement the breakfast and you also get to chat with Roberta over breakfast, which is interesting.

The house itself is immaculately kept; beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean. It is full of wonderful modern art pieces. It is also soundproofed throughout, meaning you hear nothing from the other guests. Lovely! Beware that two of the rooms are on the very top floor; the first time we arrived we let ourselves in and heaved the bags up to the top floor, the second time a man was there to help with the bags. Not sure what is the norm but, again, this is a B&B not a hotel so you don't expect anyone to carry your bag.

The B&B is in an excellent location on a beautiful treelined street in 'classic old' Toronto. It is very quiet, but only a few minutes walk from the happening district of Little Italy with trendy shops, cafes, bars, restaurants, ice cream parlours, etc. and equally well placed for Bloor Street west/the Annex and U of T. A fantastic alternative to all those soul-less downtown hotels you get in North American cities. But, the B&B is really well connected by streetcar and subway to everywhere you need to go.

I used to live in this part of town and it provides an excellent home-from-home when I visit. Thoroughly recommended!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
16 Thank Travelling_Cup_Cake
Nashua NH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2009

We had a wonderful experience and so enjoyed the hospitality and helpfulness of our wonderful hosts. Our third floor room was spacious, had a refrigerator, was tastefully decorated. Our hosts provided bottled water in our room and a tea machine on the second floor stocked with regular and herbal blends. Our breakfasts were huge, tasty, prepared w/ healthy whole grain breads, cereals, and fresh fruits. One morning we were served the best pancakes I've tasted in years! The B&B is walking distance to much of the city center (we are strong hikers and enjoy lengthy walks), shopping, restaurants, and nightlife. Bustling Little Italy was a short two block distance yet the B & B is remarkably quiet at night. Just great! We'll definitely return.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple