“The best Chinese food I've ever had”
Review of Asian Legend - CLOSED

Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
Neighborhood: North York
Ottawa, Canada
“The best Chinese food I've ever had”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I always thought I didn't like Chinese food; to me, it was bland and slimy, even at restaurants that others really liked. Give me Thai (or Malaysian or Indonesian) food any day, was my view. And then my then-boyfriend took me to Asian Legend. The food was delicious, you could taste spices, and it wasn't slimy at all. Every month, when I came up to Toronto (it was a long distance relationship), we went to Asian Legend. Everything was fresh and well done, lots of vegetables, large portions, and at a good price, and the flavour varied slightly each time (indicating it was prepared from scratch without mixes). We tried many dishes, and learned that everything's done well. Some aren't to our taste, but could be recommended to those who like that type of dish (e.g. the lemon chicken, perfect for young children or the non-adventurous)-- and they loved it. We had some absolute favourites (107A, 109, 39, 50, their moo shu and kung pao, and their soup dumplings) that we had to order almost every time. We introduced friends and family to the restaurant, and they love it as much as we do. We always order too much, so that we have leftovers-- particularly after my fiance moved to Ottawa, and thus we weren't able to go as often. We also started ordering take out as well.

In fact, my only complaint about this restaurant: they have six restaurants, including one in St Catherines-- but none in Ottawa!

One caution: while the wait staff is very attentive (refills of tea, etc), many of them do not understand English all that well. As a result, if you have allergies, be careful. That said, I was able to avoid wheat successfully (partly due to knowledge of the recipes) through repeated visits over two years. (I'm ok with a bit of soy)

• Visited October 2012

Chicago, IL
“Has a strong following, but am not sure why”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Had lunch here after visiting the Art Gallery of Ontario. Started with pork dumplings which were weirdly soggy. I had shrimp with rice and egg (essentially shrimp fried rice) and it was fine. There were plenty of shrimp, but not nothing special. My husband had some beef with noodle dish which looked a bit sickening to me, but he said it was good. The prices were pretty fair, but I honestly would not go out of my way to return. I must say that there were a huge number of people dining here, mostly from the Chinatown area. Service was very good. Cost per person for food listed above and one soft drink came out to about $25 per person including tax and tip.

• Visited September 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best chinese food in town!”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

The soup dumplings and hot and sour soup are great!!! The prices are very reasonable and service was good.

Visited August 2012
Orlando, Florida
“Pleasant dining experience in Toronto”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I was so glad I did my research before going to Chinatown in Toronto for lunch. This place has good reviews and now I know why. You will find in the menu dishes that are not so common in other chinese restaurants here in North America. The tofu with garlic is delicious. I also love their pancake with beef and even their hot and sour soup is extraordinary. The place is clean, quiet considering that it's a Sunday afternoon and even the restroom looks a lot better than other chinese restaurants we've been to.

• Visited July 2012
Miami Beach, Florida
“Excellent Chinese Food in pleasant setting”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Great menu, big choice of delicious dishes.
The food is really authentic and is presented in a very appetizing way (e.g. dumplings in big bamboo baskets, etc.).
We had the Peking duck - it was outstanding and only $ 33! This is really a bargain, especially since it looks like a more upscale place.
Very clean restaurant, toilets, etc.
The staff is ok, but I never had really friendly waiters in a Chinese restaurant. But they were attentive, quick and helpful with the order.

• Visited July 2012