“Hated the butter icing”

Neighborhood: Downtown
Canada
“Hated the butter icing”
Reviewed April 11, 2010

A friend and I got a cupcake each. Mine had this lardy icing that tasted like a chunk of pure butter. It was horrible. I threw it out. (It was called Earl Grey or something). It was especially bad since I expected buttercream.

My friend's cupcake tasted better because the icing didn't taste like a chunk of butter. But still, the butter cupcake totally put me off this place.

1 Thank XPRRS

Toronto
“good patisserie”
Reviewed May 7, 2009

I tried their cupcakes and sandwiches, they are absolutely delicious!
If you like homemade food, do not hesitate.
ps try the ice creams too

1 Thank paper_bag_princess1
Toronto
“An Enjoyable experience”
Reviewed September 5, 2008

I went to this patisserie after reading mixed reviews on this site, but was pleasantly surprised and find myself in disagreement with the one star review. The staff was friendly and treated me like a friend. When I bought a cupcake they informed me that the cupcake would be best if I waited for it to warm up a bit and it was totally worth the two minutes it took. I also bought an excellent cup of coffee. I look forward to returning and trying out some of the products.

4 Thank Ninjaassassin
Toronto, Canada
“Only good to look at”
Reviewed August 14, 2008

The cupcakes looked so good that I bought two and my friend bought 1, as well I bought a rum raisin butter tart and she bought a brownie. With one bite of the lemon cupcake, I was disgusted by the staleness and complete lack of taste of the icing. The peach cupcake was just the same. Hoping it was just a problem with the cupcakes I tried the buttertart. Tasteless. As though they forgot an ingredient. I threw everything out. I have never thrown out purchased baking. My friend had the same experience with both her items. We will never return, which is a shame since my friend owns a studio in the district and I live nearby. We had the potential to be regulars.

1 Thank Cremeb
Toronto, Canada
“a little taste of heaven”
Reviewed July 24, 2008

Sweet Escape in the distillery district is an absolutely amazing place to grab a bite to eat. They have dishes ranging from desserts, sandwiches, coffee, ice cream, soups and salads. I have been there twice now and both times have been amazing. The owners of the store Jason and Michelle are awesome people and interesting to talk too. The homemade ice cream is hands down the best ice cream i have ever had but make sure thats not all you go for. The sandwiches are really good as well with the daily fresh baked bread. I had an apple and chedder sandwich which is unbelieve and a roasted veggie sandwich which was amazing too. I love a hot sandwich and since they are pressed in a panini press it makes it such a delight. I cant write enough about how good it was so if you are in the area make sure you check it out!!!!!!

4 Thank Devilsteeth