“Not Grammy's Cabbage Rolls”
Review of Victor Restaurant

Victor Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Victor Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #768 of 8,765 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Cross street: John St. & King St West
Transit: Mercer St. is a one way street going West from John St. to Blue Jays Way. It runs parallel to King Street, one street South. The closest subway station is St. Andrew Station at King St and University. The closest intersection and TTC stop is King St West and John St.
Description: VICTOR RESTAURANT is a modern restaurant whose style is influenced by the idea of the classic North American Tavern. With a strong focus on accessibility and casual professionalism, the restaurant is a haven for guests of the Le Germain hotel, the residents of the SoKi neighbourhood and outside diners who are looking for an unpretentious but unique dining experience. Our menu focuses on the idea of approach-ability, with a multitude of items to please every palate. With a strong steak/grill program and an emphasis on the freshest seafood available, we provide a little something for everybody. Family style dining and kitchen presence in the dining room ensure the guests get an engaging and dynamic meal. A stellar menu-inspired wine list provides a vast selection of both new and old world wines from around the globe, as well as the best selection of Canadian wines.
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My husband and I had our anniversary while staying in Toronto. When I asked the concierge at Hotel Le Germain Maple Square for a nice restaurant that would not be over our $200 budget, he suggested the tasting menu at Victor. I would probably not have found this restaurant if he hadn't recommended it.

We went for the 5 plate tasting menu. We were surprised by every dish. We obviously didn't read the menu carefully, because I was expecting butter chicken. To have it come to me as a pate was a delightful surprise. I enjoyed building every bite. We also loved the cabbage rolls. Once again, you think you know cabbage rolls, but this was not Grammy's cabbage roll. The beetroot horseradish made every bite scrumptious. The Moroccan Lamb was a bit tough but not inedible.

I don't remember exactly what I had for dessert but I know the flavours were again not what I was expecting to find.

Some before dinner cocktails, bottle of wine and two desserts (we didn't want to share anymore) put us slightly over our budget, but it was worth it! I thought it was great value for the experience we had.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

A very interesting menu that simply didn't work for me. We sampled most of the tasting menu, which looked good, but ranged from very tasty through ok through to awful. Generally it felt like each dish had too much going on and the individual elements didn't quite go together often enough. Where they did gel the dish was very good but that only happened for 1-2 dishes, others had nice individual elements ok were let down by some elements that didn't seem to belong to the dish and for one dish in particular - butter chicken pâté - the result was truly awful. Service was rather strained too, but it was the height of the film festival & there were a few stars in so it may not be representative. Overall, disappointing.

Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

We went for my boyfriend birthday. We took a package at Le Germain that included a 4 course meal for 2. The wine councelor did a really good job, te food was fantastic, the service was impeccable... I strongly recommend that place!

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Le Germain in Toronto and decided to try the restaurant there. We had already been to Canoe and Scaramouche on our trip but this was the best meal and service. We created our own tasting menu and tried a savory panna cotta and other amazing dishes. The Toronto Spice used by the chef was so good, we were happy to take some home. We were so impressed with the service during this meal and also when stopping by the bar at other times during our trip. The place is beautiful and right across the street from Second City, where we went after our dinner.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

On a July night we went to Victor's. Having told the restaurant a few days before, we chose the Iron Chef Menu.

Our mystery ingredient was coriander.

We enjoyed every dish, although the coriander component was uneven. The 5-course menu consisted of: a refreshing and tasty gaspacho of coriander, grapes and pine nuts; scallops with cilantro chutney; thai chicken with coriander purée; asado-style (Argentinian) rib-eye with coriander chimni; and a strawberry shortcake with coriander-macerated strawberries.

In the end, the gaspacho came on top, thanks to its simplicity and truthfulness to coriander. At the end of the meal, we were pleased to congratulate "our" winning chef, who happened to be a student at one of the local culinary schools.

Thanks to the excitement of a meal where you can't really know what to expect, this was a most enjoyableand exciting evening. The service was charming throughout.

The Iron Chef Menu is $85. For wine pairing, add (like we did) $40. You won't regret it.